Let's say 'Thank you'

Status
Not open for further replies.
D

DaveNF2G

Instead of whinging about the modern condition of ham radio, how about we start a trend within the hobby to recognize and respect its history? I don't mean that we should force anyone to live in the past. I do mean that we should recognize and appreciate the contributions of those hams who have been in the hobby for a very long time and especially those who have put something into the hobby that has benefited other hams.

Instead of essentially greeting older hams with, "Hello Mr. Curmudgeon, now shut up and leave me alone," let's try a different phrase that seems to work well in another context:

"Thank you for your service!"

BTW, this is not a self-serving or self-promoting suggestion. I have only been a ham since 1981. Yes, sure, that is longer than some hams have been alive. But there are still many hams around who have been in ham radio longer than I have been alive and some of them have done great services for the hobby. I haven't invented any new modes or designed any new hardware. Time in traces is not what I'm suggesting as the only measure for the value of a ham's contribution, but neither should it be an excuse to devalue that same contribution.

QDP2012

As any technology, or organization, progresses healthfully, people in subsequent generations often should, as appropriate, recognize that they "stand on the shoulders of giants", simply because the people who "got the ball rolling" years or decades earlier usually had a much more difficult process to overcome in order to be successful. This is true with many aspects of life, especially as later individuals discover and develop things based upon the accomplishments (and failures) of their predecessors.

Amateur Radio is one of many examples where this can hold true. We do thank those who joined the amateur radio hobby before we did, especially those who improved the hobby as a whole, and those who encouraged us individually; and hope that both they and we will actively encourage all generations of amateurs that follow us, so that the hobby thrives and grows with time.

mmckenna

I ♥ Ø
Instead of essentially greeting older hams with, "Hello Mr. Curmudgeon, now shut up and leave me alone," let's try a different phrase that seems to work well in another context:

Maybe, except where it would be a truthful statement. There is no requirement/need for someone who has been in the hobby for decades to act like they are being disrespected just because someone new comes along. Fresh ideas are what keeps the hobby going.

"Thank you for your service!"

Again, "service" may not apply to everyone. I've known many amateurs that are only in it for their own fun and enjoyment and don't supply any service to the rest of the public. Keep in mind that this is a hobby, not an enlistment into public service.

Thanks and acknowledgement should go to individuals as appropriate, not as a blanket statement. Respect should always be given, and that works in both directions. The post in question was very one sided and harmful to the hobby. But, we are each allowed our own opinion. I can understand where he was coming from. I've been an amateur for a few decades now, however I didn't act all butthurt when my wife got her Technician license during a 6 hour "Ham-Cram" session.

His statement about tearing up and throwing away his "amateur extra" certificate was childish. Not something to be celebrated.

Last edited:

Boombox

Why is it nobody on the internet uses English anymore? It's like everyone speaks a foreign language...

Actually, whinging is real English. I discovered it when communicating with some Australians in the 1990's, where it's a popular word for "whining".

What bothers me about the internet use of "English", though, is the constant use of hip acronyms instead of real words. A little bit of it is understandable, but overuse of them just makes people seem semi-literate.

Status
Not open for further replies.