Ham radio and newer generations

Status
Not open for further replies.

KE0GXN

In my short time within the hobby I have noticed it does not have much appeal to our younger generations.
Most hams I have met are considerably older then me, which makes me wonder what the hobby will be when they are gone?

Purchasing hundreds or even thousands of dollars worth of equipment to maybe talk to someone if the conditions are right and your equipment is functioning properly, does not seem to appeal to the instant no hassle gratification generation among us and I imagine it will continue to be the norm in the future.

I know a lot of folks like to equate the status of the hobby with licensing figures, but in my opinion as long as there are radios to utilize you will always have a segment of the population who just want to be licensed either for the "what ifs" or for when the Zombies come they want to be able to use the repeaters I guess.... :roll:

However, unless folks are active once licensed, I do not see the hobby advancing. I know of folks who are licensed and have been for years and have never put their call on the air, let alone done anything ham related with their ticket.

So, any thoughts about what can be done to help attract younger folks to get licensed and be ACTIVE or will the active side of the hobby just end up dying with us?

gewecke

Completely Banned for the Greater Good
Banned
If the interest isn't there its just not going to happen. Its as simple as that. This hobby isn't for everyone... 73, n9zas

mmckenna

I ♥ Ø
Key word: Hobby. It'll only survive if people are interested in it. There will always be those that are, but I think the number of licensed amateurs will begin to taper off at some point.

bharvey2

I've noticed that most operators are middle aged guys like me. I have two grown sons and I can't seem to instill an interest in radios in them. I get the usual: "What's wrong with a cel phone?" - Seems odd to me as they are both exhibit techno-geek traits. Not all is lost however. I've run across a few kids who are around 10 yrs old on some local repeaters. As we die off I expect the pool of active licensees to get smaller and we won't get replaced. Maybe the radio manufactures need to make prettier screens on the radios....

jackj

You had to pass a code test as well as answer some serious technical questions back when I got my license (N8BSR). Then came code free licenses and mail-order testing (club exams). I felt that those changes were going to contribute to the downfall of the hobby. You don't value something you get with little effort. Could it be that I'm being proven right?

KE0GXN

I wonder if the service side of the hobby can be exploited more and maybe generate some active intrest that way?

I know I have already met with my county's ARES group and plan on being as active as I can with that. Maybe tapping into the "the want to be involved and serve my community" type folks as a way of getting more involvement with the hobby....

Many young folks are still attracted to service.

PACNWDude

In my area, a lot of younger types are getting into radio. They realize that there are things besides the internet. And what do you do when that fails?

Granted they may doing this since we have severe storms, power outages and the local infrastructure can't be relied upon.

Once you get the video games and internet out of the way, there is usually radio left. Some younger people are realizing that.

jim202

What I have seen bring some out of the woodwork is to have an activity where it takes a number of radio operators to make it work. Like a bike race, foot race, county fair, food market with all the store or eatery vendors putting on a street fair like event. They even have some of the vendors pushing their wares for pictures that are framed, felt paintings and maybe even a fire men's muster where teams compete against each other. Use to do that years ago when I lived up in New England many years back.

Then there is always working with the local Boy Scout troops. There are many ways to get the younger generation interested. You just have to devote the effort to get it started. Might take some looking around and talking with some of the local hams. Maybe even getting the local ham club interested.

Let the group on here know how you make out. It might provide the push to get others interested in doing something.

TheSpaceMann

Kids of today are just no longer exposed to radio like they once were. Back in the '60s and ''70s, every other kid had an inexpensive walkie talkie that operated on 11 meters (Before the manufacturers shifted those units onto higher frequencies). Most of those cheap walkies had wide open receivers, so the kids would listen to all kinds of people talking on them. They were able to hear the CB operators (using their "big 5 watt" radios), as well as many business users and even Hams! Many of those kids were naturally curious and wanted to get into the party, so moving onto CB was a natural step for them. And of course, the next natural step up for many CBers was a Ham ticket! In actuality, a huge number of the hams on the air today got their start on 11 meters.

KG5HHS

Premium Subscriber
I honestly don't see this hobby surviving very much longer. I'm 23 and NO ONE my age even knows what HAM radio much less is interested in getting into the hobby. It would be a shame to see it go away, but as I said, I don't see it being around very much longer. at least not in my area.

gewecke

Completely Banned for the Greater Good
Banned
I honestly don't see this hobby surviving very much longer. I'm 23 and NO ONE my age even knows what HAM radio much less is interested in getting into the hobby. It would be a shame to see it go away, but as I said, I don't see it being around very much longer. at least not in my area.
. Ham radio will very likely outlive you ... and me. As someone else pointed out, what would you do if your cell sites around you went down ?? Send smoke signals perhaps... No problem for me, I've got radios. :wink: 73, n9zas

n5ims

Every year at our local hamfest, (https://www.hamcom.org/reg-bsa.cfm) hundreds of young people attend the Boy Scout portion they have set up specifically to encourage scouts to enter the hobby. Those licensed are encouraged to help those that aren't to study and get their license. There are classes held and exams given so they can get their radio badges. Generally a uniformed scout are allowed entry without paying the normal entrance fee and those that can't afford the testing fee can often find a ham willing to pay it for them. This is one of the best ways to encourage younger people to enter the hobby.

KG4INW

Premium Subscriber
Clearly, it varies location by location. Here in the Richmond, VA area, there are many, many active hams of all ages. More older than younger but it's not really that skewed. I was 14 when I got my license in 2000 and still have plenty of fellow operators that are younger than me who have come along since.

PrimeNumber

Fortunately, the current numbers and trends look pretty good: US Amateur Radio Numbers Reach an All-Time High

The growth of the maker movement (raises hand), outdoor events that push beyond cell phone coverage (I'm a mountain biker and trying to get back into adventure racing), other active stuff like SOTA, and emergency communications (run butt-over-kettle by Katrina here) are all fueling this. Lots of other motivations for various people, but I see the future being pretty bright for ham.

A lot has been written about proper outreach to prospective hams, but let me just say that the hobby's come a long way. We're still learning, and things are getting better.

K4EET

Chaplain
I've noticed that most operators are middle aged guys like me. I have two grown sons and I can't seem to instill an interest in radios in them. I get the usual: "What's wrong with a cel phone?" - Seems odd to me as they are both exhibit techno-geek traits. Not all is lost however. I've run across a few kids who are around 10 yrs old on some local repeaters. As we die off I expect the pool of active licensees to get smaller and we won't get replaced. Maybe the radio manufactures need to make prettier screens on the radios....

I have a 13 year old grandson that has "techno-geek traits" and he wanted to go to the hamfest with me last weekend. At the last minute a family obligation kept him from going to the hamfest. But he is fascinated with the thought of building a simple transmitter and taking an old military BC-348 receiver to talk to somebody thousands of miles away.

My daughter, when she had to do a science fair project for school one year long ago, chose to do an exhibit on Morse Code since she always hears that radiating from my shack. She learned enough code to be able to send her name using a Code Practice Oscillator (CPO) that she built.

What is the common denominator here? An Elmer. In case you don't know, an Elmer takes somebody under their wing and helps them learn the aspects of Ham Radio. IMHO, it is up to the Elmer to help ignite that flame in a prospective Ham. Perhaps it is inviting somebody over to help you build a project or put up an antenna. Let them operate your station while observing 3rd Party Agreements. There are lots of ways to kindle the fire. You might have to be creative at times too.

As for the 10 year old on a repeater, just the other day I worked a 10 year old at 20 WPM code. He was using his grandfather's station and he asked that I QSL him via his grandfather. It was his grandfather that was his Elmer just like I am doing with one of my grandkids. As for my daughter, the Ham Radio interest got overridden by her having six kids early on in her marriage. Had it not been for that enormous responsibility, I believe she would have gotten her ticket.

When is the last time you called up your kid's Middle School and asked the Science teacher if you could do a presentation on Ham Radio? I used to do that when I was able-bodied during Engineer's Week. What you do is find a themed week like that for radio perhaps around Marconi's first transatlantic communication on December 12, 1901. December 12th or thereabouts would be a good time to try to do a science presentation. Engineer's Week is February 21–27, 2016 this year (National Engineers Week | National Society of Professional Engineers). That is another good opportunity to promote Radio Engineering with a presentation on Ham Radio.

There are lots of opportunities; you just have to be creative.

As an Elmer to several people now; both young and old, I have hopes that one day we may see some new hams. And the equipment need not cost thousands of dollars. Take them to a hamfest and get them some old "Novice Class" equipment for less than $100 and help them get their Technician License. They can operate CW on 80, 40, 15, and 10 Meters as well as voice on 10 meters and VHF/UHF.

In conclusion, I personally feel that as long as we have Elmers to do these things that Ham Radio will GROW; not shrink. Time will tell. Like the Stock Market, you have to be in it for the long run with its ups and downs. Ham Radio will have its ups and downs but I think Ham Radio is here to stay. There are just way too many aspects of the Ham Radio hobby that some people, not everyone, will find interesting.

73, Dave K4EET/AE

K4EET

Chaplain
Clearly, it varies location by location. Here in the Richmond, VA area, there are many, many active hams of all ages. More older than younger but it's not really that skewed. I was 14 when I got my license in 2000 and still have plenty of fellow operators that are younger than me who have come along since.

And this Saturday (February 6, 2016) is the Richmond Frostfest. A great opportunity for Richmonders of all ages to invite a friend to experience one aspect of Ham Radio; the hamfest.

If all goes well, I'll be there to attend one of the symposiums and to look at old and new equipment. I look for el-cheapo CPOs and other cheap gadgets for use in my Elmering capacities. But again, it is the Elmer who is out there "beating the bushes" to see who might be interested in the Ham Radio hobby. And if the Elmer has some gadgets to GIVE to the interested person, one day you might just have a new Ham Radio Operator. My Elmer gave me an old receiver to listen to and an antenna transmatch once I got my Novice license back in 1974.

73, Dave K4EET/AE

KG4INW

Premium Subscriber
Good points K4EET. Yes, I'll be selling tickets at the Frostfest for the better part of the morning and then wandering around looking for deals myself!

AK9R

Lead Wiki Manager and almost an Awesome Moderator
Super Moderator
Most hams I have met are considerably older then me, which makes me wonder what the hobby will be when they are gone?
How do we know that this is a new problem? In other words, I think amateur radio has always been heavily populated by middle-aged and older licensees. Sure, there are always examples in amateur radio history of young people getting involved, but I think they are not the norm. Heck, at the very beginning of amateur radio, H.P. Maxim and his buddies were all middle-aged.

Will amateur radio die as these middle-aged and older hams die? No, I don't think so. Just my opinion.

Status
Not open for further replies.