Notable people who are also licensed hams

Status
Not open for further replies.

emt587

Premium Subscriber
Anyone remember that on a couple of episodes Herman was playing around with his Ham radio. He may have been one in real life there were and are a lot of famous hams, Joe Walsh, the late king of Jordon, President Obama, several Senators and Congress people and least not forget the Actors and Actresses, Yes Hams are quite the diverse group.

kma371

QRT
Anyone remember that on a couple of episodes Herman was playing around with his Ham radio. He may have been one in real life there were and are a lot of famous hams, Joe Walsh, the late king of Jordon, President Obama, several Senators and Congress people and least not forget the Actors and Actresses, Yes Hams are quite the diverse group.

I don't think Obama is licensed.

emt587

Premium Subscriber
opps my mistake about Obama, I saw a snippet on the news on day. must have been satire. but regardless lots of notables for sure

gewecke

Completely Banned for the Greater Good
Banned
I have to mention the late u.s. senator Barry S. Goldwater was also a well known ham and a tv actor, whom I can't remember his real name but he played as Higgins, the caretaker for the Robin Masters estate on "Magnum P.I." Higgins actually used a h.f. station on one episode with his actual call sign, but I didn't know this til a few years later when I ran across his qsl card :lol: 73, n9zas

K7MEM

The part of Higgins, in Magnum PI, was played by Jonathan Masters and he did have a Amateur Radio setup of the show. However, Jonathan Masters was not a ham. The call sign that was seen on the show belonged to one of the people that worked on the show. And, the equipment he used was not completely correct. He used a Astatic D-104 microphone with a Kenwood R-2000 "receiver". But that didn't stop him from calling CQ.

Barry Goldwater started in radio in the early 20s and operated with the call signs 6BPI, K3UIG and K7UGA. The last one, K7UGA, is now used by the Central Arizona DX Association honoring him as a commemorative call. You can look it up on QRZ.

Martin - K7MEM

gewecke

Completely Banned for the Greater Good
Banned
The part of Higgins, in Magnum PI, was played by Jonathan Masters and he did have a Amateur Radio setup of the show. However, Jonathan Masters was not a ham. The call sign that was seen on the show belonged to one of the people that worked on the show. And, the equipment he used was not completely correct. He used a Astatic D-104 microphone with a Kenwood R-2000 "receiver". But that didn't stop him from calling CQ.
Interesting, since I saw a qsl card from him. Oh well. That was a good episode too. 73, n9zas

Barry Goldwater started in radio in the early 20s and operated with the call signs 6BPI, K3UIG and K7UGA. The last one, K7UGA, is now used by the Central Arizona DX Association honoring him as a commemorative call. You can look it up on QRZ.

Martin - K7MEM[/QUOTE]

There is a long list of people who used to be hams. Not many kept up with the hobby.

For example,
Donny Osmond used to be KA7EVD in the late 70s and let the license expire.

Some people have sound-alike names. With social media being very popular, it's easy to see that even with the most unique of names, there seem to be a few who spell their names the same way.

For example
George Pataki WB2AQC *IS NOT* the former governor of New York and former presidential candidate, even though the name is spelled the same.
George Pataki ex-K2ZCZ *IS* the former governor of New York and held a general class license, at least in 1969. His brother is an extra (still).

A lot of those lists are unvetted, so you get the hyperbolic statement of "(so and so)'s a ham" when most of the time that's not the case.

The president is not an amateur radio operator. I don't think John Hillerman is, either.

There are also a lot of people who are no longer with us who were very prominent hams. The guy who wrote the song "Mairzy Dotes" was W2JPN.

KK4JUG

Premium Subscriber
Emory Gordy, Jr. is W4KUT. If the name doesn't ring a bell, Google him. He's one of the most famous unknowns in music. He was in Emmylou Harris' Original Hot Band and has played bass for people like Billy Joe Royal, Liberace, Billy Joel, Neill Diamond, The Bellamy Bros., John Denver, Ricky Skaggs, George Jones, Jimmy Buffet, Reba McEntire, Elvis Presley and many, many more. He's married to Patty Ramey, aka Patty Loveless. She used to be KD4WUJ.

ecps92

ULS License - Amateur License - WB4KCG - MILSAP, RONALD L

Emory Gordy, Jr. is W4KUT. If the name doesn't ring a bell, Google him. He's one of the most famous unknowns in music. He was in Emmylou Harris' Original Hot Band and has played bass for people like Billy Joe Royal, Liberace, Billy Joel, Neill Diamond, The Bellamy Bros., John Denver, Ricky Skaggs, George Jones, Jimmy Buffet, Reba McEntire, Elvis Presley and many, many more. He's married to Patty Ramey, aka Patty Loveless. She used to be KD4WUJ.

Status
Not open for further replies.