Are these weak SSTV signals or false positives?

Status
Not open for further replies.

dragon48

I'm having fun leaving MMSTV running while my radio is tuned into known SSTV frequencies. I haven't been able to produce anything other than one bad ISS photo, but I've gotten a number of images that appear to be the result of only static.

Are these false positives, or did MMSTV pick up the signals, but they were too weak to produce anything recognizable, so the software went ahead and decoded what was mostly static?

pxySSrz.png

VRbMxwo.png

Thanks

Last edited:

jwt873

Premium Subscriber
That's just noise. Sometimes the software will start decoding when there is nothing there.

Extremely weak SSTV signals will show something. Sometimes there will be scratchy lines, or just a ghost of an image, kind of like as below:

Attachments

• weaksstv.jpeg
    weaksstv.jpeg
    20.9 KB · Views: 334

dragon48

I need to answer my own question and correct other replies. When i get a chance, I'll fix the pictures that I already posted and show the improvements. So far, for all other images that MMSTV has decoded, even the 241 kb ones, I have been able to clean them up enough to prove that there was data.

I've improved my system a drop: After denoising them and having Photoshop elements auto-fix, I have Photoshop max out the contrast and decrease the brightness a lot. This is from one of the larger sized pictures that looked like all static when it first came in. I got this yesterday afternoon on 145.5000 NFM. When I have a chance to get out of the city, I'll be able to share some quality pictures, but for now check this out. I saw a cow in the picture and a co-worker pointed out Jesus in the middle of the cow's head:

q57Pp10.jpg

Status
Not open for further replies.