Getting on a repeater with Baofeng?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Hydrogen18

Hello, this is the first repeater I am trying to connect to on my Baofeng BFF8-HP Radio, can someone please give me some steps and tips on the process I should use to connect to this specific repeater? All help is appreciated, thank you in advance.

SCARA
New England Repeater Directory

Hydrogen18

I apologize, I posted this in the wrong thread, if someone could move it to the correct thread, it would be much appreciated, thank you.

nd5y

To request a post be moved, click on the "report post" warning triangle icon in the upper right corner next to the post number and "permalink".

Go to F8HP 8W - Miklor and read all the links to learn how to program your radio.

The links you posted list several repeaters. You need to specify which one or ones that you want to program.

Hydrogen18

To request a post be moved, click on the "report post" warning triangle icon in the upper right corner next to the post number and "permalink".

Go to F8HP 8W - Miklor and read all the links to learn how to program your radio.

The links you posted list several repeaters. You need to specify which one or ones that you want to program.

The first link, SCARA, the second one is a list that contains it.

jwt873

Premium Subscriber
"Accessing a repeater" is kind of vague.... You're saying...There's a repeater out there.. How do I access it?

For the best answer you should state the call sign of the repeater you want to access. Members here could look up the frequency and CTCSS code if any and provide the best advice.

Hydrogen18

"Accessing a repeater" is kind of vague.... You're saying...There's a repeater out there.. How do I access it?

For the best answer you should state the call sign of the repeater you want to access. Members here could look up the frequency and CTCSS code if any and provide the best advice.

W1GB on the SCARA website, in West Haven

jwt873

Premium Subscriber
W1GB on the SCARA website, in West Haven

OK.. Here's the info here: W1GB repeater information on 146.610 in West Haven, Connecticut by artscipub.com

You have to have the radio receive on 146.61. (Set the dial so the display shows 146.610).

Go into the menu and select a negative repeater offset (-600). While in the menu, set the PL tone to 110.9.

When you press transmit, it should transmit at 146.01 with a PL tone of 110.9 That will trip the repeater.. If you're within range.

Do you have the frequencies and PL tone correct on your radio?

SCPD

QRT
Assuming the repeater output frequency is 146.610 MHz, with a negative offset and a 110.9 Hz T-CTCS:

Enter VFO mode A

[1][4][6][6][1][0] (this is the output frequency)
[menu][1][3]
[menu]
[1][1][0][9] (this is the T-CTCS)
[menu]
[2][7]
[menu]
[~~enter the channel number you want to assign to this repeater~~]
[menu]
[exit]
[1][4][6][0][1][0] (this is the input frequency)
[menu]
[menu]
[menu]
[exit]

Enter channel mode

To transmit, press the PTT while on the channel number you have just programmed.

techguru

How far are you from the repeater? Often HTs can't reach them with just a standard rubber duck antenna. Consider building a simple ground plane that you can mount on your roof!

I've hit a repeater 30 miles away with a 5 watt Baofeng with stock antenna. I believe that repeater is on a 1000ft tower though.

Dahwg

I've hit a repeater 30 miles away with a 5 watt Baofeng with stock antenna. I believe that repeater is on a 1000ft tower though.

I've also hit distant repeaters with an HT. Holding them and getting and CONSISTENTLY getting an intelligible signal through them- now that's a whole different story... In some cases moving just a couple of inches makes the difference between hitting and holding the repeater with full quieting, or simply cachunking the thing with a blast of static.

xxdanielt3

Premium Subscriber
You can hit repeaters with them. I have hit repeaters 90 miles away on a stock antenna, but that's very occasional. As stated in order to hit them consistently you need a little higher antenna, and a little more power.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Status
Not open for further replies.