RadioReference on Facebook   RadioReference on Twitter   RadioReference Blog

Go Back   The RadioReference.com Forums > Amateur Radio > Amateur Radio General Discussion

Amateur Radio General Discussion - General discussion forum for amateur radio topics not covered by the above forums.

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old 05-18-2017, 6:49 PM
  Shack Photos
Shack photos

A Coyote 2200 update.
The tower is up--- all 45 feet of it, sans the top loading coil. The transmitter is set and the borrowed amplifier - connected. The matching circuit is a simplicity of design... a huge coil with a very large variable capacitor... most likely to be replaced with something better.
I took it briefly out of the 2200 ham band to a nearby NTIA frequency I can access and ran a brief test-- 2150 watts into the antenna, a narrow band frequency shift test signal..
And.....
Bingo! .............. RST 569 at ~250 miles.
Now it can all sit until the day 2200 is officially released. That will give me time to work on that top hat loading coil. Besides, we've a Spring blizzard blowing up on the mountain, and it will be awhile before I'm back in Colorado..... it can sit--
On another note: in talking about my "Folly" with a colleague, he reminded me that frequencies below 9Khz are not regulated. Yes, I know- that is Really Low-- but-- experiments are being run there all the time and surprising thing occur.... plus, there are no rules...
I throw that out for what its worth-- plus don't discount the 160-190Khz allocation under Part 15--
The VLF and VeryVeryVLF's are a blossoming experimenter's playground.
So-- awaiting Spring to finally settle in... and the FCC to act..................
.................................CF
Sponsored links
Old 05-19-2017, 3:53 PM
  Shack Photos
Shack photos

...and I thought you were going to let this sleeping dog lie... for a while anyway!

Sounds like good fun
Old 05-19-2017, 11:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Coyote-Frostbyte View Post
I took it briefly out of the 2200 ham band to a nearby NTIA frequency I can access and ran a brief test-- 2150 watts into the antenna, a narrow band frequency shift test signal..
And.....
Bingo! .............. RST 569 at ~250 miles.
That's outstanding. Have you calculated what your ERP and antenna efficiency is? Base loaded, I presume, with that huge coil...
Old 05-20-2017, 2:21 PM
  Shack Photos
Shack photos

Oh, I couldn't do all that installation without at least trying it out-- albeit briefly... ....(laughing.)
A telephone call got a 48 hour release to use a frequency slightly below 137...not that I was putting anyone out- the frequency has no occupants...
A couple more calls to my friend set up a listening post in New Mexico.
Thus far I have done nothing with any telemetry to the transmitter, so I had no way, yet, of being at the transmitter site and remotely listening to its signal- However, my friend on her mobile ('cel) patch'd me back to the site, giving me feedback as to what she was hearing.
On the night before my returning to New Mexico, we ran the test. We wait'd until after dark, the temperature outside the hut was a balmy 8 degrees F, electric space heaters brought the inside to a tropical 60 or so. The blizzard of the past several days had blown itself out-- it was a clear, windless night- the sky- crystalline- with a million stars against the Milky Way.. In other words, a bloody cold night to be out on a mountain side!
I brought the tower into approximate resonance- tuning initially at 100 watts- straight continuous carrier. My friend report'd she could "hear something" (note the highly scientific method utilized here )
I increased the power to ~ 1Kw-- everything was holding together (ie; no sparks or arc's) but then, at full output--- all hell broke loose- With blinding crashes, the tuning circuit flared into a beautiful blue corona- looking for all the world like a Jacob's Ladder.... taking my breathe away ! ....when back'd off to 2Kw it became stable, but now I could hear crackling sounds outside the hut.
Looking at the tower and the large copper strap that connected it to the inside; practically every sharp point had a small corona sparkling in that clear, silent night. I can only guess at the RF voltage of my Tesla Coil. Those discharge surfaces,-- to be addressed this summer.....
Now my friend was reporting a definite, clear signal... "a 5 to 6" (RST)-- again, note high degree of scientific precision. At his power level, I later model'd the ERP at 3.5 watts-- approximately 5db's above what would be allowed on 2200. I did not attempt that evening to calculate what the power output would have to be to achieve the 1 watt ERP limit for the ham band- but it was proven a signal could be heard from 0.1 Kw upwards.
We then called it a success; -- I shut everything down-- and headed home to a roaring fireplace.
........................................CF

Last edited by Coyote-Frostbyte; 05-20-2017 at 2:44 PM..
Old 07-15-2017, 1:17 PM
  Shack Photos
Shack photos

I have received a few inquiries about where my 137 Khz "Folly" stands - so here's my Official Update.
I had to return the borrow'd 3 KW amplifier- which is just as well- the thing was way overkill besides weighing a tonne. Fortunately the power supply was separate- but I still needed help moving the bloody thing about.
In its place I have the indefinite loan of a lab amp that covers the same frequency range- its a lot smaller and of lower power. This one is rated at 1.5 KW CCS duty using a pair of odd duck PA's, two 4CX350. I've one set of spares, but have no source, or $- for others. As their life span goes, so goes the "Folly."

I decided to leave the antenna (tower) alone- with no further improvements.... ie: nothing better than the well casing and the secondary irrigation pipes for its ground counterpoise. I figure that being able to run high power, even for a calculated EIRP of 1 Watt from a 0.16% efficient antenna I have power to spare- I can "Brass it Out," so to speak- making up in watts what the antenna lacks in efficiency.
Thus I have also decided to forgo any top loading coil or top hat counterpoises. Even at 40 feet in height, --> I don't work on towers<--
There are two 900Mhz telemetry units ready to run this remotely---- both sitting in boxes.... though I did mount one of the antennas- on the side of the well/transmitter hut.
The rancher who leases my land says his burros, mules and horses just love hanging out about the tower's base- goodness knows why. Maybe it has something to do with my suggestion that he string up the couple of lines of white LED Christmas tree lights I gave him- they make the site look very festive at night-- if I were a burro that would be the placed I go too.......
So there it all sits- awaiting either the day 2200 opens-- or I loose interest (rapidly occurrng) in this whole deal-- and leave it to the mules.....

...............................CF

Last edited by Coyote-Frostbyte; 07-15-2017 at 1:27 PM..
Sponsored links
Old 07-15-2017, 3:04 PM
  Shack Photos
Shack photos

Quote:
The rancher who leases my land says his burros, mules and horses just love hanging out about the tower's base- goodness knows why.
The same reason as the bullocks like the flagpoles on our rifle range - scratching posts! Everything else has got an electric fence around it!
Old 07-16-2017, 1:52 AM
  Amateur Radio Operator
Amateur Radio

Could these longwave stations be configured to do something useful in addition to being a beacon? Like a low speed mesh network using a packet protocol. It would be cool to send tweets and have a list of nodes that carried the packet. Imagine a TEOTWAWKI situation. "Calling Citizen Z at Northern Lights , this is Atlanta, we got Zombies, over".
Old 07-16-2017, 1:25 PM
  Shack Photos
Shack photos

I never envision'd my 2200 setup as a beacon.. but I am afraid that seems to be what the band is destined for- at least for the considerable future. I feel there will be a dearth of people able to put a usable signal on it- that the vast majority will be the casual listeners with mediocre -to- worthless receiving capabilities..... and Please !, I say that in all charity, for most will not have suitable receivers/quiet locations/proper antenna/low frequency savy- and so on.... that's not to mention the very very few that will have transmitting stations that will be worth a hoot.
160 metre's is a good example here. Anyone who has devoted time to it knows it is quite unique. The Enigma Band, I like to call it**
Propagation modes and results there can be phenomenal***, but few have the proper stations- or the interest- to find this out. Just tune across the band any evening- sure there are usually people there- but you are unlikely to hear anyone complaining about QRM. Now multiply that by an exponential and you'll have 2200.
I jump'd on 2200 as a lark.... perhaps too much of a lark- though I am out very little $$ wise- so far...
I have proven this transmitter of mine can be heard quite well-- out to at least 250 miles- and knowing L/VLF very well, I'm confident it is capable of much more. When and if 2200 ever goes active, I plan to run it on QRS CW-- not the real slow stuff of the weak signal realm- but something someone could converse in. I don't like CW, but it will probably be the one mode easiest for many to use-- with a computer to encode/decipher for me. If I can't hear you with a signal worth an "RST" report- I can't hear you.
Transmissions will most likely take the form of Lonnnnng automated CQ's, very close to 136Khz- listening remotely in full duplex/QSK-
We will see what happens.... there is definitely a operator Burn Out factor here to consider.
Meanwhile, the Burros keep watch over the transmitter hut. I have some fencing to go around the tower and cable guys when things (may) go active- The RF arc's from the antenna at 1 Watt aren't noticeable like they were at 3.5- but I don't want my burro buddies burned ... and Majoco, you are right- they love to scratch themselves on the tower, and for some reason, chew on those tower cables............
................CF
__________________________________________________ ____________
**I can't take credit for this term- I borrow'd it from this interesting article on 160 years ago.
http://solar.spacew.com/cq/cqmar98.pdf
***160 is a favorite of mine- its true groundwave is the only thing I can depend on, that gets out of the mountains back home.
Attached Images

Last edited by Coyote-Frostbyte; 07-16-2017 at 1:32 PM..

Tags
arrl, fcc, ham radio