RadioReference on Facebook   RadioReference on Twitter   RadioReference Blog

Go Back   The RadioReference.com Forums > Amateur Radio > Amateur Radio General Discussion

Amateur Radio General Discussion - General discussion forum for amateur radio topics not covered by the above forums.

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old 11-13-2017, 7:03 PM
  Shack Photos
Shack photos

".... a dot matrix printer..." ............ smiles, RFI-EMI.......
I'd hope those guys out there would be farther evolve than that... lol

(Though, as I chided my friend Barb, I don't think the FCC is...)
"...Barb, those are FCC frequency, not our Agency stuff.... best to cool it in the future, Girl ! " **

Does the FCC still send out "pink slips" ?? -- if so, I'll bet anything they print them on a dot matrix printer...
........................................ Lauri
** In fairness, she couldn't do anything about the efficiency of the remote station's antenna and extensive ground system- for even though it was dial'd way Way back, ....it was...... quite Hot.
(for what its worth, the entire QSO was under 5 minutes- callsigns, signal rpt;s, and 73's---I was freezing too much to play around any longer)

Last edited by Coyote-Frostbyte; 11-13-2017 at 7:13 PM..
Sponsored links
Old 11-13-2017, 7:10 PM
  Amateur Radio Operator
Amateur Radio

Quote:
Originally Posted by Coyote-Frostbyte View Post
".... a dot matrix printer..." ............ smiles, RFI-EMI.......
I'd hope those guys out there would be farther evolve than that... lol

(Though, as chided my friend Barb, I don't think the FCC is...)
"...Barb, those are FCC frequency, not our Agency stuff.... best to cool it in the future, Girl ! "

Does the FCC still send out "pink slips" ?? -- if so, I'll bet anything they print them on a dot matrix printer...
........................................ Lauri
They are so well evolved that they don't need color graphics and power points to impress politicians to fund science.

Sent from my SM-T350 using Tapatalk
Old 11-14-2017, 3:31 AM
  Amateur Radio Operator
Amateur Radio

Quote:
Smith-Corona typewriter.
Old 11-14-2017, 2:40 PM
  Amateur Radio Operator
Amateur Radio

Quote:
Originally Posted by dlwtrunked View Post
I hope you are jesting and not confusing electromagnetic wave (frequencies) with sound wave (frequencies).
I was making a jest of course!
Old 12-11-2017, 2:45 PM
  Shack Photos
Shack photos

An(other) Epilogue-
I have been intermittently listening to 2200, using some of the remote receiving resources I have, and I have been hearing some activity, -- but its all less than stirring to my interests.
In the meantime, since with the “Folly’ making my first official amateur radio 2200 QSO, I have received several very kind Private Messages inviting me to try other QSO’s-.
But the lack of any meaningful power output, the snow now stacking 2+ feet about my transmitter hut, and QRSSS CW has had its effects -
“Sorry guys, and really big Thank You- but No”

I approached 2200 as a Dilettante, - just a lark to see what it would do… thinking myself back in the Golden Days of Long Wave, maybe??.
I am evidently not into ham radio that is the super narrow, micro bandwidth, below the-noise-level slow speed code stuff…
And yes, I am very conversant in technical’s like Binary Phase Shift Keying,
and more isoterics like Viterbi Decoding Convolutional Codes…(I can spin this stuff out like I actually know what I'm talking about ( )...
......but that to me is too much like work…..
These, and other parameters, are unfortunately what must be embraced if you want to be serious at 2200.
......All I just wanted was to have a CW QSO or two.....

That’s why I’m writing this--If I have mislead anyone down a Primrose Path about this band, I apologize.
For those that are considering taking the challenge, here is a site you may wish to check out;
WSPR.org

Meanwhile, my Burro’s can look forward having that tower as their own private scratching post.

………………….CF

Last edited by Coyote-Frostbyte; 12-11-2017 at 3:00 PM..
Sponsored links
Old 12-12-2017, 6:56 PM
  Amateur Radio Operator
Amateur Radio

Quote:
An(other) Epilogue-
I have been intermittently listening to 2200, using some of the remote receiving resources I have, and I have been hearing some activity, -- but its all less than stirring to my interests.
In the meantime, since with the “Folly’ making my first official amateur radio 2200 QSO, I have received several very kind Private Messages inviting me to try other QSO’s-.
But the lack of any meaningful power output, the snow now stacking 2+ feet about my transmitter hut, and QRSSS CW has had its effects -
“Sorry guys, and really big Thank You- but No”

I approached 2200 as a Dilettante, - just a lark to see what it would do… thinking myself back in the Golden Days of Long Wave, maybe??.
I am evidently not into ham radio that is the super narrow, micro bandwidth, below the-noise-level slow speed code stuff…
And yes, I am very conversant in technical’s like Binary Phase Shift Keying,
and more isoterics like Viterbi Decoding Convolutional Codes…(I can spin this stuff out like I actually know what I'm talking about ( )...
......but that to me is too much like work…..
These, and other parameters, are unfortunately what must be embraced if you want to be serious at 2200.
......All I just wanted was to have a CW QSO or two.....

That’s why I’m writing this--If I have mislead anyone down a Primrose Path about this band, I apologize.
For those that are considering taking the challenge, here is a site you may wish to check out;
WSPR.org

Meanwhile, my Burro’s can look forward having that tower as their own private scratching post.

………………….CF
A beacon would be a much more practical endeavor. No need for QRO. The challenge will be for those to receive it.

Old 12-12-2017, 10:20 PM
  Shack Photos
Shack photos

Just to thrash a subject again..... dot matrix printers are far from obsolete, their main advantage is you can make carbon copies! Remember them old Creed printers with the multi-page paper rolls, the bottom copy was near unreadable, well the dot matrix has taken their place! Somewhere out in the shed I have an IBM golfball printer - I never did succeed in getting a driver for it to work!

Go into a stationery shop and ask the sweet young thing for a box of carbon paper! Totally blank!
Old 12-12-2017, 10:51 PM
  Shack Photos
Shack photos

I had thought about just turning the Folly into a beacon- but there is a legality issue,,,, 2200 has no provision, FCC wise, for an unattend'd automated operation. ....
I could apply for a Special Authorization (STA) I guess... but those can be a can-of-worms. I have had them for modes that defy things like ID'ing- pulse for instance..... or maybe it could go the Part 5 route with an experimental license-- but since 2200 is now a ham band, I am not sure the FCC would issue one- they are hesitant to issue them for frequencies in the ham bands... tho it seems like existing licensee continue to operate.

................. (smiling) just what I'd love- bureaucratic paper work.
Speaking of which, I actually filled out a property transfer form in triplicate- carbon sheets in between, on a IBM Selectric typewriter. Somethings never go out of style with the Government (that's better than some agencies that still keep records on 5" floppy disks..... )
..................................CF

Last edited by Coyote-Frostbyte; 12-12-2017 at 10:55 PM..
Old 12-12-2017, 10:58 PM
  Amateur Radio Operator
Amateur Radio

Quote:
I had thought about just turning the Folly into a beacon- but there is a legality issue,,,, 2200 has no provision, FCC wise, for an unattend'd automated operation. ....
I could apply for a Special Authorization (STA) I guess... but those can be a can-of-worms. I have had them for modes that defy things like ID'ing- pulse for instance..... or maybe it could go the Part 5 route with an experimental license-- but since 2200 is now a ham band, I am not sure the FCC would issue one- they are hesitant to issue them for frequencies in the ham bands... tho it seems like existing licensee continue to operate.

................. (smiling) just what I'd love- bureaucratic paper work.
Speaking of which, I actually filled out a property transfer form in triplicate- carbon sheets in between, on a IBM Selectric typewriter. Somethings never go out of style with the Government (that's better than some agencies that still keep records on 5" floppy disks..... )
I did not know you could not beacon at 2200m. Seems it would be the ideal place to do that.

Does that IBM Selectric have a government issue Y2K certification sticker?

Old 12-12-2017, 11:57 PM
  Shack Photos
Shack photos

Well, from what I gather from Part 97, there is nothing to prohibit a beacon on any ham band.
But an Automated, unattend'd beacon can only be operated on certain bands and within specific sub-set frequencies. I've extracted this paragraph from Part 97---

§ 97.203 Beacon station.

(c) The transmitter power of a beacon must not exceed 100 W.
(d) A beacon may be automatically controlled while it is transmitting on
the 28.20–28.30 MHz, 50.06–50.08 MHz,
144.275–144.300 MHz, 222.05–222.06 MHz or
432.300–432.400 MHz segments, or on the
33 cm and shorter wavelength bands.
As far as I read this, if a control operator is present to actively control the beacon, either directly or thru a remote, it can be operated anywhere- but automated- what we think of as unattend'd beacons, is not permitted except under those, (above,) conditions.
I really can't see myself 'attending' an active beacon while its does its thing.
Further more, would this then become a one-way transmission, prohibited under the regulations?
Also, there is that cryptic "100 watts"-- is this input, output.....ERP ? 100 watts input on 2200 would be piddling... 100 watts ERP would be awesome !....
I have run into these holes in the FCC regulations before... like I said earlier-
For instance- the regulations require ID'ing every 10 minutes: but if I am running pulsed radar, how does one do that?.. And is it a one way transmission?... If its reflection is a return signal, its not one way.... as Moon bounce would not be consider'd one way transmissions..............
Needless to say, I have often been a burr-under- his saddle blanket to my engineer friend at the FCC ; Who has so much as said-
"I'll let you know if you have to stop doing whatever it is you're up too....."
...............................CF

__________________________________________________ _
Oh, and a PS--- The Selectric............
No Y2K sticker, but there is an aluminum DoD/DoE property tag on it from its days on Johnston Atoll.... bit of History, there....

Last edited by Coyote-Frostbyte; 12-13-2017 at 12:27 AM..
Old 12-16-2017, 4:21 PM
  Premium Subscriber
Premium Subscriber

Quote:
For instance- the regulations require ID'ing every 10 minutes: but if I am running pulsed radar, how does one do that?
Pulse the radar in Morse Code.

Sent via Tapatalk
Old 12-16-2017, 4:33 PM

Quote:
For instance- the regulations require ID'ing every 10 minutes: but if I am running pulsed radar, how does one do that?
Why, pulse code modulation, of course.

Quote:
Needless to say, I have often been a burr-under- his saddle blanket to my engineer friend at the FCC ; Who has so much as said-

"I'll let you know if you have to stop doing whatever it is you're up too."
Now, THERE'S a challenge! Try to find a modulation format that the FCC absolutely forbids on any ham band.
Old 12-16-2017, 5:23 PM
  Shack Photos
Shack photos

Actually guys, I do embed a ID code into (my ham C-band radar's) pulse stream- similar to Mode A in secondary surveillance radar systems.... its a binary code resembling nothing like a ham callsign, but listed on my STA's..... not that they convey much intelligence, or likely anyone outside the FAA or FCC can decode them... but like my FCC friend said-
.......... "we know how to contact you Lauri..........."
............................CF

Last edited by Coyote-Frostbyte; 12-16-2017 at 5:36 PM..
Old 12-16-2017, 6:38 PM
  Shack Photos
Shack photos

Later---
I got curious about some of the irregularities in Part 97. I haven't looked at sections of it in years- reading thru it can make for some light entertainment.....
Sure enuff, nothing has changed with the regards to "pulse' emissions since I last read it- it is a simple "Pulse" listed as permissible on certain bands--- I extract'd the following from Part 97, specifically the "C-Band."

5 cm Entire band
MCW, phone, image, RTTY, data, SS, test, pulse
Limitations; (7), (8), and (12)

(Limitations 7 and 8 deal with RTTY and data, 12 is a weird one- F8E emission- a multi channel analogue signal)
Kind'a leaves open a whole world of possibilies there..... especially when it comes to that peak pulse power issue..... smiles........
Years ago, if I remember correctly, ham band use of "Pulse' had a lot more limitations--- proving somethings get better, regulation-wise, with time.
My guess is, these exotic frequencies and emissions are so rarely used as to not raise a blip on the FCC's radar (pun intende'd.... : )

Tags
arrl, fcc, ham radio