RadioReference on Facebook   RadioReference on Twitter   RadioReference Blog

Go Back   The RadioReference.com Forums > Amateur Radio > Amateur Radio General Discussion

Amateur Radio General Discussion - General discussion forum for amateur radio topics not covered by the above forums.

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old 07-20-2017, 9:12 AM
  Premium Subscriber
Premium Subscriber

Quote:
Originally Posted by mmckenna View Post
And, that's the EMA rules. Not individual or club amateur radio operators.

I'm all for safety, but again, doing it correctly and not "overdoing" it for the look is best.

As I said above, I do occasionally have to wear them at work. I don't wear it any other time, and it doesn't have call signs, "emcomm", or other confusing stuff written all over it as a way to draw attention to how important someone is, or think they are.
With ICS/NIMS in mind, if you are in a situation where vests are prudent, having the occupant's function on the vest is a good idea. I will agree that there should be no emergency references on the ham vests; something along the lines of "Communications Support" is adequate.

Our local club was looking at a group purchase of vests, that had our name and call on the front, and something about radio communications on the back. The idea was a bit of uniformity, and being readily identifiable to the tasking.

I carry a cheap vest in my backpack, when working an annual bicycling event, in case I need to do something near vehicles. I already own the vest, and there is no reason to wear my FD vest. (I keep two of the cheap vests in my motorcycle saddlebag, in case I go on the local military base.)

Sent via Tapatalk
Sponsored links
Old 07-20-2017, 9:20 AM
  Premium Subscriber
Premium Subscriber

Quote:
Originally Posted by W9BU View Post
Here's a scenario to consider... You have ARES volunteers supporting a bicycle ride. The ride course goes through somewhat remote and hilly areas ... <cut for space>
Events like that are a club event, more so than an ARES activation. Then it is up to the club's rules.

I was referring to an actual activation to a large event, such as storm/tornado damage, earthquake affected area, etc.

Sent via Tapatalk
Old 07-20-2017, 9:23 AM
  Premium Subscriber
Premium Subscriber

Quote:
Originally Posted by bharvey2 View Post
"Fake" amateur radio operators badge? I didn't know there was such a thing, real or fake.
There are badges for concealed weapons carriers, too. I consider those just as silly.

Sent via Tapatalk
Old Yesterday, 10:16 AM
  Shack Photos
Shack photos
Amateur Radio Operator
Amateur Radio

I am sure there are "VIP" badges for everything and anything out there these days....

If your looking to carry and badge and a gun, ARES or HAM radio is not where you should be looking.

Plenty of public safety agencies out there hiring right now. Fill out an application, go through the hiring process, get the job and you can carry a gun or a badge with all the authority that goes along with it all day long.

I don't see the need for badges or guns in anything HAM radio related. Last time I checked we are a communications hobby/service. Maybe I am missing something here?
Old Yesterday, 10:28 AM
  Amateur Radio Operator
Amateur Radio

Quote:
Originally Posted by krokus View Post
There are badges for concealed weapons carriers, too. I consider those just as silly.

Sent via Tapatalk
Those I've heard of. They seem like a good way to get charged with impersonating a police officer or shot by someone with a dislike for LEOs. Whacker behavior in any case.
Sponsored links
Old Yesterday, 10:36 AM
Lead Wiki Manager
  RadioReference Database Admininstrator
Database Admin
Amateur Radio Operator
Amateur Radio

Quote:
Originally Posted by KE0GXN View Post
Plenty of public safety agencies out there hiring right now. Fill out an application, go through the hiring process, get the job and you can carry a gun or a badge with all the authority that goes along with it all day long.
I think you left out a few steps.

After filling out the application, you then have to make it through the application screening, the background checks, the physical testing, the mental evaluation, the drug abuse testing, and the final review process. Then, you have to go to training for several weeks. A two-year college degree in law enforcement or prior law enforcement experience will be a plus. Then plan on spending a year as a probationary officer.

What I hear from my local Chief of Police is that they get many applications for their open positions, but few applicants can make it through the entire process.

"The whole world's living in a digital dream. It's not really there, it's all on the screen." -- WB6ACU
Old Yesterday, 10:49 AM
  Shack Photos
Shack photos
Amateur Radio Operator
Amateur Radio

Quote:
Originally Posted by W9BU View Post
I think you left out a few steps.

After filling out the application, you then have to make it through the application screening, the background checks, the physical testing, the mental evaluation, the drug abuse testing, and the final review process. Then, you have to go to training for several weeks. A two-year college degree in law enforcement or prior law enforcement experience will be a plus. Then plan on spending a year as a probationary officer.

What I hear from my local Chief of Police is that they get many applications for their open positions, but few applicants can make it through the entire process.
You are very correct, I chose to go the route of brevity just make a point.

When it comes to the LEO profession and folks wanting to be a part of it, I often equate the process to Matthew 22:14....

"For many are called, but few are chosen."

Your Police Chief is right.
Old Yesterday, 11:57 AM
  Premium Subscriber
Premium Subscriber
Amateur Radio Operator
Amateur Radio

Well, some of us fell through the cracks. I was 3+ decades as a LEO and I'm also a ham. Even though I've officially retired, I still work with the regional SAR unit and am one of only two people in the city that operates the mobile command post. It contains lots of communications equipment including satellite, UHF, VHF, 800 mHz, marine, aircraft and, yes, ham. I get to operate all of it and even drive the 40' vehicle.
Old Yesterday, 2:49 PM
  Shack Photos
Shack photos
Amateur Radio Operator
Amateur Radio

Quote:
Originally Posted by KK4JUG View Post
Well, some of us fell through the cracks. I was 3+ decades as a LEO and I'm also a ham. Even though I've officially retired, I still work with the regional SAR unit and am one of only two people in the city that operates the mobile command post. It contains lots of communications equipment including satellite, UHF, VHF, 800 mHz, marine, aircraft and, yes, ham. I get to operate all of it and even drive the 40' vehicle.
Yeah, every once and awhile one will slip through All kidding aside, this day and age its an accomplishment to just make it to retirement. We are losing a lot of good men and women out there, some way too soon....

I've got 18 years in since I left the Air Force....22 years in if you count the active duty years I served. Seems like yesterday when it all started.....couldn't imagine doing anything else. It is all I've known since I was 21.

Wish I would have found HAM radio sooner though.

Congrats on making it all the way. I hope to be there one day myself.

And I wouldn't mind hanging out in a temperature controlled mobile Command Post when I retire either
Sponsored links
Old Yesterday, 3:04 PM
  Premium Subscriber
Premium Subscriber
Amateur Radio Operator
Amateur Radio

https://forums.radioreference.com/at...ommand-bus.jpg

Yeah, it has 4 air conditioners and Direct TV
Old Yesterday, 3:38 PM
  Shack Photos
Shack photos
Premium Subscriber
Premium Subscriber
Amateur Radio Operator
Amateur Radio

Quote:
https://forums.radioreference.com/at...ommand-bus.jpg

My office put this little gem on the road right after I retired. I never got to work in it and have since moved out of the area.
Name:  MCU-1 CC.jpg
Views: 51
Size:  64.1 KB
Old Yesterday, 3:46 PM
  Premium Subscriber
Premium Subscriber
Amateur Radio Operator
Amateur Radio

Nice!
Old Yesterday, 5:31 PM
Lead Wiki Manager
  RadioReference Database Admininstrator
Database Admin
Amateur Radio Operator
Amateur Radio

Quote:
According to DHS folks I've talked to, you can evaluate a mobile command vehicle by the number of air conditioners on the roof. Four is getting up there!

"The whole world's living in a digital dream. It's not really there, it's all on the screen." -- WB6ACU
Old Yesterday, 6:33 PM
  Premium Subscriber
Premium Subscriber
Amateur Radio Operator
Amateur Radio

It's really quite nice with a conference room, bathroom, small galley Wi-Fi, on-board communications with repeater apart from the other radios, 15kw generator, ACU-1000, video cameras, hostage phone hookups, in-house phone system, 8 satellite phone lines, high-speed satellite internet, etc.

We designed it ourselves, bought a Bluebird body, took it to Van-Mor Enterprises in Ocala, FL and they outfitted it with the generator, work stations, lighting, pneumatic masts, etc.. After that, we added the radios, satellite, etc.