new arrl repeater directory

Status
Not open for further replies.

KD7PJD

Does anyone know if ARRL is going to continue with the current format in the repeater directory?
I have NO repeaters in my area now as opposed to listing repeaters by geography.

Rred

IIRC whoever they switched to partnering with, is going to be the ongoing partner. Don't recall them mentioning any changes to come but I'm sure they would respond to email firsthand as to what is in store.

AK9R

Lead Wiki Manager and almost an Awesome Moderator
Super Moderator
In the past, the ARRL worked directly with the various amateur radio frequency coordinators around the country, solicited data from the coordinators, and assembled that data for publishing in the Repeater Directory. The data was out-of-date as soon as it was printed and it was only as accurate as the data provided by the coordinators. If a coordinator wasn't doing a good job of keeping their database current and correct, the data they sent to the ARRL for publishing in the RD was simply wrong.

The new deal between the ARRL and RFinder has RFinder accumulating the data for publishing by the ARRL. RFinder is a crowd-sourced repeater directory like RepeaterBook and the ArtSci Repeater Database. This new deal was dropped on the coordinators and the coordinators were asked to share their data with RFinder in exchange for a one-time payment of $1/listing. Each coordinator had to work out their own arrangement with RFinder about the integrity of the data. Some coordinator spent literally hours cleaning up RFinder's existing crowd-sourced data. Some coordinators simply decided to not participate.

Then, RFinder showed up at the Orlando Hamcation earlier this year with their Android smartphone-based radio complete with built-in repeater listings. Where do you think that data came from?

To the OP, I don't know what the coordinator in your area decided to do. The data in the current RD may be from your coordinator or it may be from RFinder's crowd-sourced data or it may be a combination of both. What I can tell you is that you can go to your coordinator's web site and get a listing of repeaters in your area that may or may not be more accurate than the data in the current RD.

ORRC Home Page

KD7PJD

Thank you W9BU for that detailed synopsis. It is probable for my area there is a huge lack of participation and some of the repeaters owners live in other states or across the state and if the repeater is listed it probably shows up in that state.
yes, i did utilize other sources and have a list of them but I imagine a lot of repeaters will not be visited by transient users simply because they are not listed where the antenna is needed!

Status
Not open for further replies.