RadioReference on Facebook   RadioReference on Twitter   RadioReference Blog

Go Back   The RadioReference.com Forums > Amateur Radio > Amateur Radio General Discussion

Amateur Radio General Discussion - General discussion forum for amateur radio topics not covered by the above forums.

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old 07-15-2017, 2:38 AM

220 was quite the rage back awhile , then we had some serious spectrum grabbed and sold ,the band has not recovered , I have 220 but very few around me have it or use it , then again i am a dinosaur who still has AM/ SSB gear ,doesn't get used much except during contesting because most people are on FM , I also unfortunately live in antenna restricted apartment ,I can imagine when I die someone going into the crawl space in the ceiling and trying to figure out what all coax is up there ,good luck with that boys .we do have a 220 machine listed locally but the owner is SK more then 10 years and the ham who built the repeater has no idea what happened to it when the owners family got a hold of it , but the directory still incorrectly lists the machine as active .

Sent from my SM-T810 using Tapatalk
Sponsored links
Old 07-15-2017, 12:08 PM
Lead Wiki Manager
  RadioReference Database Admininstrator
Database Admin
Amateur Radio Operator
Amateur Radio

Quote:
Originally Posted by wrath View Post
220 was quite the rage back awhile , then we had some serious spectrum grabbed and sold ,the band has not recovered
Amateur radio was secondary on 220 to 225 MHz. The FCC reallocated 220 to 222 MHz to a new commercial service, made amateur radio primary on 222 to 225 MHz, and give amateur radio a secondary allocation just below 220 MHz for point-to-point operations.

I think I'd rather have 3 MHz of primary allocation than 5 MHz of secondary allocation.

"The whole world's living in a digital dream. It's not really there, it's all on the screen." -- WB6ACU
Old 07-16-2017, 11:13 AM

KK4JUG in case you have not been warned about yaesu, the band plan they adjust offset with is different then what we go by on 70cm , so you are going to have to individually verify all your 70cm memories to verify it is set properly , they are great little radios as long as your verify 70cm offsets your good to go , among my collection I have a 5 R ( it has 6 meters as third band whereas you have 1.25 on the 6)

Old 07-16-2017, 12:02 PM
  Premium Subscriber
Premium Subscriber
Amateur Radio Operator
Amateur Radio

Quote:
Originally Posted by wrath View Post
KK4JUG in case you have not been warned about yaesu, the band plan they adjust offset with is different then what we go by on 70cm , so you are going to have to individually verify all your 70cm memories to verify it is set properly , they are great little radios as long as your verify 70cm offsets your good to go , among my collection I have a 5 R ( it has 6 meters as third band whereas you have 1.25 on the 6)

Thanks.

I'm using RT Systems' software to program the VX-6. I did double-check it and it shows a 5 mHz offset for .70m and 1.6 mHz for 1.25m.

I chose to use the software because sometimes I program a lot of freqs into a radio and because of RT Systems' reputation for efficient and intuitive programming (and no, I have no financial interest in the company).
Old 07-16-2017, 12:17 PM

Hey doesn't bother me you use RT I have my own fleet of radios and almost all are programmed via RT Software , it gives the flexibility of just a cut and a paste from one radio to another ,newer radios can handle large alpha names whereas some of my older rigs are limited but since they are almost identicaly set up its pretty easy to figure out .

Sponsored links
Old 07-17-2017, 1:24 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by W9BU View Post
Something like the VX-7? Unfortunately, I don't think any recent Yaesu handheld put out more than 1 watt on the 222 MHz band.

By comparison, the Kenwood TH-F6A, which has been discontinued within the past month, put out 5 watts on 222 MHz. Also, the new Kenwood TH-D74 is rated for 5 watts on 222 MHz plus it does APRS and D-STAR, consequently the price tag is pretty high.
But it's an insanely good radio,and kenwood marketing has asked if we would buy a mobile version and I don't know anyone with the rig who said they wouldn't buy less than a pair of them, I regret having ever sold my last tri band Kenwood it was a great rig,if they sell it I am in , I'll have a fire sale on 710 ga's .

Last edited by wrath; 07-17-2017 at 1:29 AM..
Old 07-17-2017, 4:55 AM
  Premium Subscriber
Premium Subscriber

Quote:
Originally Posted by W9BU View Post
... the Kenwood TH-F6A, which has been discontinued within the past month, put out 5 watts on 222 MHz. Also, the new Kenwood TH-D74 is rated for 5 watts on 222 MHz plus it does APRS and D-STAR, consequently the price tag is pretty high.
The D74 puts most functionality of the F6 into a D72, and adds a few features. A lot of stuff in a small package.

Sent via Tapatalk
Old 07-17-2017, 5:01 AM
  Premium Subscriber
Premium Subscriber

I am also guilty of not using the band much, despite having a TH-F6. If it were in my mobile, I would use it more.

Sent via Tapatalk