RadioReference on Facebook   RadioReference on Twitter   RadioReference Blog

Go Back   The RadioReference.com Forums > Amateur Radio > Amateur Radio General Discussion

Amateur Radio General Discussion - General discussion forum for amateur radio topics not covered by the above forums.

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old 12-04-2017, 9:28 PM
Lead Wiki Manager
  RadioReference Database Admininstrator
Database Admin
Amateur Radio Operator
Amateur Radio

Quote:
Originally Posted by Coyote-Frostbyte View Post
...and that's when the agency charm schooling comes into play.
Why do you s'pose that the movie Point of No Return with Bridget Fonda came to mind when I read that. "Agency charm school"? Yeah, sure, if that's what you want to call it.

"The whole world's living in a digital dream. It's not really there, it's all on the screen." -- WB6ACU
Sponsored links
Old 12-04-2017, 10:21 PM
  Shack Photos
Shack photos

(Smiling)-- I do work for a "Three Letter Agency"....
But my friend and department co-chair Barbi summed it best -- about our attending 'Charm School:'
........................"You can't make a silk purse out of a sow's ear"
......................CF
---------------------------------------------------------------
BTW-------- "Point of No Return' is a fun movie... now no one call me a 'cleaner'....lol.......

Last edited by Coyote-Frostbyte; 12-04-2017 at 10:26 PM..
Old 12-06-2017, 8:22 AM
  Premium Subscriber
Premium Subscriber
Amateur Radio Operator
Amateur Radio

My homebrew Interocitor runs rings around the Turbo Encabulator.
Old 12-12-2017, 4:10 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by scanmanmi View Post
A ham radio adaptation, shortened but almost word for word for the sections included, of a running engineering joke since the mid 1940's.

This joke has been applied to transmissions, electronic controls, and motors in various incarnations. But in much of it the wording has been pretty consistent.

T!
Old 12-12-2017, 10:43 AM
  Shack Photos
Shack photos

As an undergrad I had this math class- some esoteric which isn't important, but a favorite with all the Physics majors.... and a requirement to graduate. The professor was a real human being- he made his subject fun, understandable, graded'd fairly-- hence everyone loved him.
So it was a shock one day to walk into lecture and he wasn't there. In his stead was a stranger, who informed us that Doctor H had been terminated, for reasons unknown- and he, Dr. X, ,would be taking his place for the remaind'r of the term.
Terminated ?!.. OMG ! we collectively thought- This math course was an essential requirement to graduate- Geeeez----, there appear'd nothing to do but stick it out.
Doctor X, then with no further ado, proceed'd to lecture us in the same manner, tone and depth as The Turbo Expert-- al la the Video. He scribbled on the chalk board the most ! incredible nonsense, in an accent that was turning heavier and heavier into unintelligible Scottish.
....... The looks of surprise- turned'd shock- turned despair, rapidly swept across our class.
This went on for about ten minutes- so transfixing us students that we never noticed Dr. H quietly slip into the back of the room. The replacement Prof stop his undecyphrable lecture, smiled at us, and stood aside as Dr. H came forward.
"Aye, a great beautiful morning it tis" he said, affecting a Scotish brogue,-- "this, the first day of April"
__________________________________________________ _______
I never forgot THAT lecture, and in memory of my favorite teacher, I try to keep this tradition alive; much to the consternation of friends, family and work mates. Beware, the April First's... !
.............................CF

Last edited by Coyote-Frostbyte; 12-12-2017 at 10:56 AM..
Sponsored links