Where are all the 10M operators?

Status
Not open for further replies.

prc117f

I see tons of 10M radios for sale all over the place for cheap prices, less than 200 dollars and some a little more. You can even buy 10M radios at truck stops of all places.

Yet when I tune to the 10M band you never hear much, You would think with so much 10M equipment out there and on the cheap it would be full of new operators getting their feet wet.

Will001

Premium Subscriber
I'm out here...usually on 28.400 MHz...just listen for KN4IMX (that's me) during the evening hours

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

ka3jjz

Wiki Admin Emeritus
Keep in mind that, with some exceptions due to solar conditions such as a coronal hole letting some solar wind in, that 10m is basically a daytime, not nighttime, band. If you try to listen at night, you're not likely to hear very much unless we're getting something from old Sol...

which brings me to the other point. solar activity is very low lately - so low, in fact, that there's been some talk about us entering an extended low point in the solar cycle called the Maunder Minimum. The last solar cycle was the weakest peak that has been recorded in nearly a century.

Assuming you're in the northern hemisphere, we will be entering spring very soon, and the higher bands will start to pick up with increased solar radiation. Some propagation - using the F and E layers (yes, sometimes E skip happens at 10m.....) may occur in the spring and summer months.

Understanding how HF propagation works is the first step in anticipating whether a band will be open or not. This site (requires the Flash player) is a good place to start...

Propagation Primer - Flash Movie by AE4RV

and it goes without saying that a good 10m antenna and radio are a must. Many portables and cheaper tabletops tend to lose sensitivity up here; as the old saying goes, you can't work 'em if you can't hear 'em

Mike

sloop

prc117f, many of those '10 meter' radios are called 'export' radios and are intended for the CBer that wants more power and the ability to operate on the 'free bands'. Some of the more common brands are Ranger, Galaxy, Connex, and Stryker. I am not saying that they will not make good HAM radios, I am just saying that is not their intended market...that's why you find them at truck stops.

KM4TDM

I love 10 meters!! The reason you do not hear many people on 10m is because of conditions... when it’s open, it is probably my favorite band to operate! Me and KN4IMX, talk on 28.400 every once in awhile...

jim202

Maybe one of these days the ARRL might just see the 10 meter band could get some real boost of activity if the band was expanded to include the Technician class so they could use the FM repeater segment of the band.

There are a number of 10 meter repeaters around the country and the world, but the activity is not that much. We could see some addition to the activity on 10 meters if the Technicians had access to the FM frequencies. Limiting them to the small segment of 28.300 to 28.500 is not helping get more activity on this band.

zz0468

QRT
Banned
Maybe one of these days the ARRL might just see the 10 meter band could get some real boost of activity if the band was expanded to include the Technician class so they could use the FM repeater segment of the band.

It's the FCC that needs to be convinced, not the ARRL. A decent case might be made if one points out to the FCC that Technician class hams are already familiar with channelized FM and repeater operation, and already have some 10 meter HF privileges. Keep in mind, though, that the tiered privileges are intended to motivate people to upgrade.

bill4long

We are at a solar minimum for F-layer skip. 10m does come alive during June and July in North America due to Sporadic E layer activity. The particular days of activity are unpredictable, but they cluster around June and July. When it is active, range is usually 600 to 800 miles. Operators come out of the wood work in force. It's one of my favorite ham radio activities. I'm active on USB, FM and digital modes to work E skip.

Skypilot007

Premium Subscriber

There are a number of 10 meter repeaters around the country and the world, but the activity is not that much. We could see some addition to the activity on 10 meters if the Technicians had access to the FM frequencies. Limiting them to the small segment of 28.300 to 28.500 is not helping get more activity on this band.

Well soon technicians will get SSB phone privileges on segments of 80, 40 and 15 meters if the ARRL gets their way. A general class license test is not that hard these days. I always recommend folks studying for the technician test to study for the general at the same time and take them both at the VE session. Then they will have all of the bands and modes to play on with the exceptions of the small extra class segments on HF.

n5pwp

I'm a Tech also and remember driving in my car during the day in the early 90s and working Spain and Japan while mobile (HTX100). Ten can be sad sometimes but watch for contest weekends. It comes alive then. Also, I monitor a DX Cluster through Telnet and almost everyday I have seen reports there of activity on 10. Usually its FT8 but there is some pretty good SSB too. I heard a Puerto Rican operator with a very nice signal yesterday. Sometimes I wonder what the actual impact is on 10M propagation. Sure you're not going to be snagging DX but I think some of the low activity is due to people tuning 10 and hearing nothing and saying "ahh, the band is dead". Maybe if we just key up we might find its better than we're giving it credit for.

Lets stir up 10M! ;-)
Mike

KM4TDM

I completely agree! That has happened to many people! Sometimes it just takes keying up that mic and seeing!

jhooten

10 is open more often that you think. Problems is many operators sit and wait to hear a signal. Few ever push the PTT button and speak. I usually have a radio parked on 28.4 usb. On older non-digital scanner has been re-purposed to scan the amateur FM stuff including 29.6 and all the repeater output frequencies. If 10 FM is open I know it pretty quick.

I also have a CB on lower 38. If I start hearing CB skip I know go to 10 and start calling/listening.

zz0468

QRT
Banned
There are a number of beacons, mostly between 28.2 and 28.3. Those are quite useful, and show that the band is open to somewhere or another pretty often.

From California, around local noon, the band frequently opens up to South America, for an hour or two.

prc117f

It's the FCC that needs to be convinced, not the ARRL. A decent case might be made if one points out to the FCC that Technician class hams are already familiar with channelized FM and repeater operation, and already have some 10 meter HF privileges. Keep in mind, though, that the tiered privileges are intended to motivate people to upgrade.

But maybe if the get a small taste of working the 10M band they might get interested.

I think limiting Technician licenses to just mainly 2M/70CM etc.. probably is not having the intended effect, I wonder how many get the license buy a radio and program for repeater and end up getting bored and losing interest when it just feels like they are just using the equivalent of nextel radio PTT.

They should open up some HF so techs can get a taste of real Ham radio and get hooked once they get a taste of making contacts far out with just the antenna and radio, plus the challenge of HF will get them interested in moving ahead with the other license levels.

prc117f

10 is open more often that you think. Problems is many operators sit and wait to hear a signal. Few ever push the PTT button and speak. I usually have a radio parked on 28.4 usb. On older non-digital scanner has been re-purposed to scan the amateur FM stuff including 29.6 and all the repeater output frequencies. If 10 FM is open I know it pretty quick.

I also have a CB on lower 38. If I start hearing CB skip I know go to 10 and start calling/listening.

I really enjoy challenging conditions and trying to get out there, QRP, building my own antennas etc.. I probably spend quite a bit of time designing and trying out new antennas for HF and then working it.

I think limiting tech to just VHF/UHF is hurting the future and I would not be surprised if that is the intended plan so they can just take more bands away to sell to the highest bidders.

Why not give Tech some privileges on 20 meters for SSB/CW. just one band. 20m is a good starter HF band for tech.

vagrant

ker-muhj-uhn
Premium Subscriber
The Technician class license already permits operation on at least 10 bands, plus some additional UHF frequencies.

If a Technician class operator is unable to pass a test for the General class license, perhaps it is in the best interest for all that they are not allowed to operate beyond the current privileges.

Motivation is key; ability is a factor. The current privileges based on license is working well for thousands.

alcahuete

Premium Subscriber
Why have license classes in the first place? One license and you get privileges everywhere. Most people aren't building radios anymore, and the additional technical knowledge just isn't necessary anymore in this day and age. We're stuck in the stone age in this hobby, from a regulation point of view. I was honestly blown away when they actually removed the Morse code requirement.

You want a ton of people on 10m? Give people the privileges to operate there.

Status
Not open for further replies.