FM on HF

Status
Not open for further replies.

KG5YWM

Another newbie question for the gurus. I'm currently shopping for a HF base radio. Most of the radios I'm looking at have AM, SSB, and CW modes but not FM. I know FM is frequently used on 10 meters, but how about other HF bands? I know it's legal on several frequencies but is it something that is commonly used? Would I be regretting having a HF rig without FM? I don't want to pay more for a feature that I will rarely or never use.

Thanks!

ka3jjz

Wiki Admin Emeritus
No, it's not used at all AFAIK except for the various 10m FM repeaters. That's about it. However they can be a lot of fun if and when the band opens up - you literally never know what area will come thru the repeater at any one time

Mike

jwt873

Premium Subscriber
I've worked Japan, Australia, New Zealand, Europe and South America on 10 meter FM simplex (29.600 Mhz). I almost got China, but there as too much JA QRM that day :)

Of course, this was when 10 was open. You don't hear that much up there with the low sunspots. You need to hope for sporadic E openings.. (Which should be picking up for the summer).

spongella

Premium Subscriber
HF FM is really only used on 10m for repeater operation or for simplex. It's lots of fun when the band is open because you can access distant repeaters for long-range contacts. Totally up to you whether you want to have that option.

KD2FIQ

I had a neat QSO on 10 meter FM with a mobile in Italy. Very fun when it's open! Not so often right now though.

Sent from my SM-N910V using Tapatalk

brandon

Database Admin
I have heard FM voice used by US military on HF. Not often, but it does happen.

I just checked my logs:
6837 and 7838 were the freqs with activity.

Here you can find recordings of the activity on 7838 kHz FM voice.
solarix.net · Search results for 7838

Status
Not open for further replies.