CallSign Safety?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Rt169Radio

Premium Subscriber
Has anyone ever had a problem with posting their call-sign on their vehicles or online in a Safety term? Like someone might say "he must have good electronics to steal" or "I hate that guy lets go cause some damage" by finding out your name and address? I must say this topic is quite serious to me,

KK4JUG

Premium Subscriber
Has anyone ever had a problem with posting their call-sign on their vehicles or online in a Safety term? Like someone might say "he must have good electronics to steal" or "I hate that guy lets go cause some damage" by finding out your name and address? I must say this topic is quite serious to me,

The call sign on a vehicle might be a good indicator of the contents IF the bad guys knew what it was, Most of the bad guys don't have the brains God gave a screwdriver.

I only have the control head showing in my vehicle and it comes off easily, if need be. The radio itself is under the passenger seat. That might make it somewhat less inviting.

w8lgz

With due respect, I wouldn't worry for one second about having your call sign on your vehicle. ALL of your information is already out there; your regular license number is a matter of public record. With little effort, someone could find out your name, address, phone number, DOB, SSN, employer, etc for only a couple of bucks. That's why we all get junk mail and telemarketer calls. The only real way to stay "safe" in today's world is to not be on-line, no phone, no car, no credit, never interact with anyone...go completely "dark" so to speak. I'm not being a wise guy here, just saying don't get hung up on the "what ifs" in life.

KK4JUG

Premium Subscriber
With due respect, I wouldn't worry for one second about having your call sign on your vehicle. ALL of your information is already out there; your regular license number is a matter of public record. With little effort, someone could find out your name, address, phone number, DOB, SSN, employer, etc for only a couple of bucks. That's why we all get junk mail and telemarketer calls. The only real way to stay "safe" in today's world is to not be on-line, no phone, no car, no credit, never interact with anyone...go completely "dark" so to speak. I'm not being a wise guy here, just saying don't get hung up on the "what ifs" in life.

All of that information would help if someone was actually looking for YOU and even then it doesn't mean you have a unit in your vehicle. Thugs aren't that interest in finding a ham because he's a ham. They want the guns, computers and credit cards.

J20

I just removed my address from industry Canada’s site just says the town I live in

KD2FIQ

I have a call sign license plate. No worries.

Sent from my SM-N910V using Tapatalk

needairtime

Honestly it's best to not put any debatable information on the air, and nobody will get angry at you. I recall this being one of the rules of thumb to keep everyone happy.

Plus they can go steal baofengs :) Really, it's gotten pretty disgusting: an iphone can cost more than an icom and there's probably more iphones out there than icoms and kenwoods combined? maybe?

The only exception that's a bit worrisome is if you're half the population and worried about forced "suitors". One of the people who just joined the local repeater used her out of state parents' address for this reason though a PO box would work as well, if it didn't have a monthly fee. That surely would cost more than the ARRL VE testing fee...

(but yeah I side on the caution of error, so nobody even here knows I really am ham licensed, and so far spent less on my ham equipment than the ARRL VE testing fee... no baofeng either, just re-purposed obsolete LMR, and I don't think I'd be unhappy if someone lifted my acquired used TR-2500 which may be my only ham radio versus LMR...)

krokus

Premium Subscriber
Thugs aren't that interest in finding a ham because he's a ham. They want the guns, computers and credit cards.

That is part of why displaying NRA logos, "I don't call 911" or "Insured by Smith & Wesson" type stuff is a bad idea.

Sent using Tapatalk

KK4JUG

Premium Subscriber
If a person is as paranoid as some here appear to be, it won't matter what you do.

bharvey2

That is part of why displaying NRA logos, "I don't call 911" or "Insured by Smith & Wesson" type stuff is a bad idea.

Sent using Tapatalk

Agree. I prefer the "gray man" approach. Although I don't go to the length of getting a P.O. box, I don't advertise on cars or the house. No bumper stickers, political signs, etc.

This privacy issue is of no minor concern to some of us- ie: the 'opposite sex.'
Personally I try not to be a paranoid but that's not always easy, for females have dozens of good reasons we do not want to draw attention to ourselves in public.
Do I think call letter license plates would put me 'out there ?'.....No, but then I don't like vanity anythings... callsigns included, let alone wear stuff like that on my clothing or the backs of my vehicles.
Any of us gals that have been stalked know the drill- this is something the boys don't quite get; but whenever the discussion rolls around to this topic (fortunately infrequent) I just remind them of - and suggest they (re)watch the movie "Fatal Attraction." My male friends say Glenn Close scares the BeJezzus out of them !
..... I respond,
'Welcome to my world." (laugh) :)
That's repeating stuff, I know, but I do it to re-enforce how well, and to the depth it was talk'd over.
This will remain a very popular topic, not likely to ever die- but resurrected from time to time; always just as entertaining, No? :)
Lauri :)

Last edited by a moderator:

n5ims

Why would call sign plates make you a better target for thieves than others. They steal your $500 radio and bring it to a pawn shop who thinks it's just "another CB" that they could sell for no more than $50 and give the thief no more than $25. Instead, the thief will just listen to a car's big expensive stereo booming into the parking spot and grab the stereo, amps, and speaker equipment that the pawn shop knows well and is in demand for big bucks and will pay the thief big as well.

w8prr

Premium Subscriber
I have more concern about my address in the data bases. I use my office PO box on my license. I also don't post shack pictures online.

Hooligan

Don't ever apply for, use or display a government-issued radio callsign, it's personally identifiable information -- they'll get you if you do!

Don't ever put up any antennas -- even hidden ones can be detected via RADAR and magnetic anomaly detection, they're a dead-giveaway -- they'll get you if you do!

Don't ever energize any radios -- the EMI they give-off can be homed-in on -- they'll get you if you do!

Don't ever email or post on-line anything about any radios, your IP can be traced -- they'll get you if you do!

If you MUST use a radio, either for emergency purposes or you're a greasy, stinky fat ham whom polite society avoids any physical interaction with and thus, radio is your one remaining tool for social interaction, DENY DENY DENY! Convince the other parties you're in radio-communication with that you are merely using telepathy. They'll get you if you don't!

krokus

Premium Subscriber
Don't ever apply for, use or display a government-issued radio callsign, it's personally identifiable information -- they'll get you if you do!

Don't ever put up any antennas -- even hidden ones can be detected via RADAR and magnetic anomaly detection, they're a dead-giveaway -- they'll get you if you do!

Don't ever energize any radios -- the EMI they give-off can be homed-in on -- they'll get you if you do!

Don't ever email or post on-line anything about any radios, your IP can be traced -- they'll get you if you do!

If you MUST use a radio, either for emergency purposes or you're a greasy, stinky fat ham whom polite society avoids any physical interaction with and thus, radio is your one remaining tool for social interaction, DENY DENY DENY! Convince the other parties you're in radio-communication with that you are merely using telepathy. They'll get you if you don't!
This is why I miss having you on m-net.

Sent using Tapatalk

magic_lantern

Hams are among some of the cheapest people on earth, Bad guys would use that info for whos house NOT to rob

K7MH

Premium Subscriber
I have been a ham since 1971 and had ham plates since 1972 and never had a problem. I have only had other hams honk and wave when they see me or say hi in a parking lot. I have had a couple people see me in the yard and asked about ham radio or CB radio not knowing the difference because they saw the plates or antennas.

Not long ago a guy in front of me on the road held up a handheld through his sun roof and waved it around so I went to 52 simplex and found him there and we talked for a while.

Once a bunch of years ago another ham saw me get out of my truck and go in a grocery store. He followed me in and while walking nearby started whistling "CQ". It didn't take long for me to turn my head real quick and we both cracked up and talked for a while.

If you're particularly fearful, paranoid, need to duck creditors, or someone who has an easy time making enemies then ham plates may not be for you.
But then leaving your home might not be either!!!

Status
Not open for further replies.