RadioReference on Facebook   RadioReference on Twitter   RadioReference Blog

Go Back   The RadioReference.com Forums > Amateur Radio > Amateur Radio General Discussion

Amateur Radio General Discussion - General discussion forum for amateur radio topics not covered by the above forums.

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old 10-14-2018, 9:00 AM

Wow... I was just digging into your post above about the preselector.. That is certainly the issue I'm having.. Even the screen shots from RTL are spot on what I'm seeing.

Not sure what I'm going to do about it yet though... at least now I know what the problem is...
Sponsored links
Old 10-14-2018, 10:30 AM
  Amateur Radio Operator
Amateur Radio

Quote:
Originally Posted by Murphy625 View Post
Wow... I was just digging into your post above about the preselector.. That is certainly the issue I'm having.. Even the screen shots from RTL are spot on what I'm seeing.

Not sure what I'm going to do about it yet though... at least now I know what the problem is...
I thought you might spot that screen shot!

Sent from my SM-T350 using Tapatalk
Old 10-14-2018, 1:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by RFI-EMI-GUY View Post
I thought you might spot that screen shot!

Sent from my SM-T350 using Tapatalk
I would have never figured that out without you.... thank you very much...

I'm not sure what I want to do with it though.. I don't really need a preselector for the entire spectrum.. just something to filter 80,40 and 2m bands.... 70cm is quiet as it is..

I figure for the 2 meter band, just using the correct antenna instead of a 80ft long dipole would solve that problem..

So really, I just need a band pass filter for 80 and 40.. I'm wondering if there is a cheaper option than a $100 board..
Old 10-14-2018, 2:29 PM
  Amateur Radio Operator
Amateur Radio

Quote:
I would have never figured that out without you.... thank you very much...

I'm not sure what I want to do with it though.. I don't really need a preselector for the entire spectrum.. just something to filter 80,40 and 2m bands.... 70cm is quiet as it is..

I figure for the 2 meter band, just using the correct antenna instead of a 80ft long dipole would solve that problem..

So really, I just need a band pass filter for 80 and 40.. I'm wondering if there is a cheaper option than a $100 board..
You will probably do fine with a resonant 2M a on that band if you have no paging stations near by.

As far as 80M and 40M filters, there are tons of articles on making filters for those bands. Any of the QRP receiver kits should have a schematic. Otherwise there were preselectors sold for shortwave receivers that can be manually tuned. You could even get a defunct antique radio like a Yaesu FRG7 and carve the preselector parts from it. Another possibility might be minicircuits as long as you choose band pass filters or combination of HP/LP covering your bands.
Old 10-14-2018, 3:25 PM
  Amateur Radio Operator
Amateur Radio

Default noise

It is a halogen light on a dimmer.
Sponsored links
Old 10-14-2018, 6:27 PM
  Amateur Radio Operator
Amateur Radio

Quote:

Glad to help!

This one is quite entertaining. This guys SDR is getting splattered by a neighbors Guitar amp. Knowing what I do about guitarists from the Jimi Hendricks days, distortion was the name of the gain, the more the better. It is conceivable that the guitar amp is in oscillation and radiating all that crap. Still these SDR need RF preselection to operate in the "real world".

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BFZ1Vf5qy7o
Old 10-14-2018, 7:43 PM

I'm sitting here listening to a 2 meter "ham net" something or other on 146.445.. and I'm thinking to my self.. "gee whiz, I wonder how much better a 2m antenna would do compared to the G5RV on the 144 band..

And then I start punching in call signs from this ham net thingy.. I figured they were somewhere local because the signals are clear... these guys are 175 - 200 miles from me via google maps (crow fly) distance tool.. And their signals are averaging 20db above the noise floor.. How is that possible? There's no way someone has an antenna sitting at 5000+ feet in Ohio.. that place is as flat as a pancake. I'm pretty sure they're going through a repeater because I can see the ctcss tones on the audio spectrum display..

I'm astonished that I can hear them so clearly.. so much so, I actually hit the record button in the SDR panel.

I stopped it after less than a minute and the file is about 6 megabytes.
Old 10-14-2018, 7:56 PM
  Amateur Radio Operator
Amateur Radio

Quote:
I'm sitting here listening to a 2 meter "ham net" something or other on 146.445.. and I'm thinking to my self.. "gee whiz, I wonder how much better a 2m antenna would do compared to the G5RV on the 144 band..

And then I start punching in call signs from this ham net thingy.. I figured they were somewhere local because the signals are clear... these guys are 175 - 200 miles from me via google maps (crow fly) distance tool.. And their signals are averaging 20db above the noise floor.. How is that possible? There's no way someone has an antenna sitting at 5000+ feet in Ohio.. that place is as flat as a pancake. I'm pretty sure they're going through a repeater because I can see the ctcss tones on the audio spectrum display..

I'm astonished that I can hear them so clearly.. so much so, I actually hit the record button in the SDR panel.

I stopped it after less than a minute and the file is about 6 megabytes.
They could be on a repeater, and then again they could be on a repeater that is linked with one local to you. I can hear the EOC in Tallahassee though I am in Orlando. There are numerous repeaters linked via SARnet.
Old 10-14-2018, 8:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by RFI-EMI-GUY View Post
They could be on a repeater, and then again they could be on a repeater that is linked with one local to you. I can hear the EOC in Tallahassee though I am in Orlando. There are numerous repeaters linked via SARnet.
They mentioned something about a "Echonet". I'll have to figure out how to find the closest one to me.
Old 10-15-2018, 6:26 AM
Lead Wiki Manager
  RadioReference Database Admininstrator
Database Admin
Amateur Radio Operator
Amateur Radio

Quote:
They mentioned something about a "Echonet".
Echolink?

Introducing EchoLink

"The whole world's living in a digital dream. It's not really there, it's all on the screen." -- WB6ACU
Old 10-18-2018, 1:33 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by W9BU View Post
Ya, but how do I tell which repeater closest to me was the one barking out the VHF I could hear?
Old 10-18-2018, 2:26 AM
  Premium Subscriber
Premium Subscriber

Quote:
Ya, but how do I tell which repeater closest to me was the one barking out the VHF I could hear?
I think you were hearing a repeater in Howell.

https://repeaterbook.com/repeaters/f...&type=EchoLink

Sent using Tapatalk