RadioReference on Facebook   RadioReference on Twitter   RadioReference Blog

Go Back   The RadioReference.com Forums > Amateur Radio > Amateur Radio General Discussion

Amateur Radio General Discussion - General discussion forum for amateur radio topics not covered by the above forums.

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old 12-10-2018, 12:49 PM
  Audio Feed Provider
Audio Feed Provider

Quote:
Originally Posted by rescue161 View Post
First radio(s) were the crappy little 27MHz walkie-talkie kids transceivers. The ones with the Morse code chart on the front. I'd get them for birthday and Christmas presents.

First CB that I owned was a Robyn 23 channel mobile.

First real radios were a Motorola MCX100 and HT90 & HT500 portables. I won them at an auction. I still have the MCX100s.

Growing up, I got to play on my Grandfather's Browning Golden Eagle Mark III, Years after he passed away, my Dad gave that radio to me and I still have it on the bench.

First ham radio was an FT411E. I got it at a ham radio store in Memphis, TN. It was used and the guy said it was a good deal. I bought it after I passed my test, but did not receive my ticket for several more weeks. I got a reciprocal license in Japan (7J6CDD) and had to add my license sticker to that radio. I wish I had never sold that radio.

What a great story! I enjoyed reading your post, thanks!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
Old 12-10-2018, 1:08 PM

My interest in radios was there long before I ever had an amateur radio license. My first was a Radio Shack PRO-79 scanner I used for railroad monitoring. I quickly learned how crappy those were and picked up a couple of Motorola MT500 (ex-Chessie radios, wish I still had them) with the appropriate receive elements for the local AAR channels. From there I got a Motorola GP68 and progressively upgraded until 2007 when I got my license. At the time I had a brand new VHF XTS5000, so I would say that was my first radio I used for ham.

I don't do much hamming anymore but i keep a few channels programmed in case I get the desire to jump on there.
Old 12-10-2018, 2:20 PM

My first amateur radio is an Anytone 868. I've had it since last spring, and have been quite happy with it. Mostly using it for analog VHF, plus a bit of DMR. DMR is just beginning here in Alaska, so most of my DMR experience has been when traveling in the lower 48. So far it has proven to be a reliable, well built radio.

One other reason I like the 868 is that it is also Part 90 certified, so in a pinch I can use it for SAR related activities on public safety frequencies. Normally I use my issued Motorola HT 1250 for SAR stuff, but there could be times when I don't have that with me, but I might have the Anytone.

My next radio will probably be a more powerful mobile rig. I'm currently looking at options for that. Whatever I finally get, I will probably set it up first as a home station. Eventually it will go in my vehicle. Then maybe start looking at HF. I guess I'm a one step at a time kind of guy!
Old 12-10-2018, 4:00 PM
  Amateur Radio Operator
Amateur Radio

My first rig was a Hammarlund HQ170AC-VHF which could receive all ham bands 160-2M, paired with an Ameco TX-62 VHF AM transmitter. (I initially held both a Novice & Tech licenses in 1964.)

The receiver was a bit of overkill, since I only worked VHF before going off to college -- and my parents got rid of my gear so that they could reclaim the room. Heartbreak city!
Old 12-10-2018, 5:42 PM

I started out with CB radios (truck driver, it sort of just happened), then went to getting a cheap Baofeng to listen in to ham and other frequencies. That led to a GMRS license, a handful of Tait commercial radios, and finally a Tech license along with a few Chinese DMR handhelds. Don't do much talking as I have debilitating mic fright, but once I get my DMR hotspot to cooperate I'm going to attempt to get over that.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Sponsored links