Illustrated Guide - Yagi for solving simulcast issues

Status
Not open for further replies.
I have had a number of questions / comments about how to point a 800 mhz yagi in order to solve the "cut-outs" many scanner listeners get when monitoring the dreaded simulcast system.

Some feel that it should simply be pointed directly at the tower you want, and that this will yield the best results. The way a yagi is normally used (to achieve maximum gain to / from the target), that would be correct. But this solution is about ATTENUATION of the sites you don't want, not about GAIN on the site you do want.

Long story short, by using the field pattern of your antenna, and plotting your simulcast sites out, you will usually see that best signal ratio (between what you do want and what you don't want) will be achieved by pointing away from your "target" site, from a few, to 20 or so degrees depending, so that you still have a great signal from that site, but have attenuated as much as possible all the other sites. This is a balancing act, a compromise if you will.

A fellow Arizona scanner enthusiast asked me to plot out his situation to suggest a polar angle for his antenna, so I did it for him to help him out, and am posting it here as an example. The first screen shot shows his approximate location (point "A"), and the simulcast sites around him. I have the advantage of using AutoCAD, which makes all of this quite easy, but it could be done just as well with pencil and straight edge, laid under the field pattern, and held up to a light. That would be one of many ways you could do the same thing. I am sure you can think of other methods. By using a compass and a printout when pointing your antenna, with a little patience you can get your yagi aimed for maximum impact.

This method works beyond the shadow of a doubt when tried, and it has been confirmed multiple times. I and others I know have went from hearing 25%-50% of what is being said, to more than 95%. With my new Pro-197 I am around 98%-99%, and often times get better reception than the Phoenix Police portables. Every day I hear them ask for a repeat when I heard every word loud and clear. The difference is night and day.

As you will see here in the second screen shot, for this gentleman the optimal angle is about 10 degrees counter-clockwise from the target, illustrating my point. In this case, the difference between pointing dead-on towards the site and 10 degrees off is not as huge as it is in my own case (third screen shot). In my case I have a little better scenario and I can get my two nearby offending towers down in the -35 db range. This gentleman will have to settle for a little worse ratio, because there are so many sites near him, and the two closest interfering sites are the two farthest apart on a polar grid, making things difficult. It should be noted that if the Northeast-most site uses a fairly short tower (it is on a police station), and has buildings blocking its view, it might work better to rotate the antenna a bit more clockwise, maybe 5 degrees more, for an offset of 5 degrees from target, ignoring the Northeast-most antenna, which would put his nearest offending tower into a more attenuated spot. It would be worth trying in this case, and comparing to the first suggested angle. Sadly, in this case you CAN'T ignore the Northern-most site, because it has the highest elevation of all the simulcast sites (atop a fairly tall mountain), and will have a clear shot at his antenna. So in any case the antenna is going to need some counter-clockwise offset from the target for optimal performance.

The third screen shot is my own situation. As you can see accurate pointing of my antenna really works out well in my location, yielding some really good attenuation. How well this method works for a given person depends on where he happens to lie between the towers. Some like myself, will benefit more than others. I can even imagine scenarios where it might not even help much, but that would be unlikely in most cases.

I used a Wilson 800 mhz yagi designed for cellular use in rural areas, an "N" to "SO-239" adaper, and a length of LMR-400 with PL-259's (sealed weather-tight). A quick google will easily locate these items, at around $100 total. Those wanting to really do it perfectly could spring for "N" connectors, but you will pay dearly for each one. Note that you need to insulate a metal mast if you want to ground it or use a non-metal mast to mount the yagi on, since mounting the antenna to a grounded mast means the whole mast and grounding assembly becomes part of the antenna. The whole beam is the element on this antenna in a sense. Keep this in mind. Wrapping the mast with a hefty dose of electrical tape did the trick for me. Also note that on the system being monitored here I DO activate the scanners own attenuation as well, further weakening the amount of signal getting through from the offending sites.

Since some new to the hobby will be considering this, and it might be their first antenna installation, I will add the following... For OUTDOOR antennas, I use a static discharge block where the line enters the house and ground it per NEC, or pretty close to it. That means multiple rods laid out correctly, and tied into the household / telecom grounding as well. I mention this because I think all antennas should be installed correctly to prevent damage to the front end of your valuable scanner. Air moving across the antenna or a nearby lightning strike can send a lot of energy down that line. You scanner might suffer a "deaf" front end, and still SEEM to be working correctly, though it will never again work like it did when new. It's a cruel fate that is easily avoided. Remember, this isn't "lightning protection". I say this because the typical 1000 foot bolt of lightning can be rated at around ONE BILLION VOLTS @ 40 kiloamperes, so don't expect anything to save your radio (or maybe other things like your home or your life either) if a bolt of lightning makes a direct strike on your antenna. I once had a test line run to play with a few radios when a big lightning storm came up. I unhooked the radio on that line and pointed it away from everything. As I laid in bed that night a nearby strike hit hard, and at that instant energy came down the unprotected line, and arced to the screw-on outer shield of the PL-259 at the end much like a spark plug would, lighting up the whole room. It made an impression I will not soon forget. Lightning is powerful stuff and can do amazing things, even when it doesn't directly touch something. Nuff' said.

I hope these screen shots answer some of the questions I have been getting. Good luck.

Attachments

• map.jpg
    map.jpg
    153 KB · Views: 1,336
  • field with sites.jpg
    field with sites.jpg
    78.2 KB · Views: 1,196
  • my grid.jpg
    my grid.jpg
    65.1 KB · Views: 1,254
  • yagi roof.jpg
    yagi roof.jpg
    37.9 KB · Views: 1,278
Last edited:

rchjr

Phoenix Scanner,

Thanks for the plot, which gives me some questions so please bear with me here. I have zero to no experience with antennas and their grid patterns.

The grid pattern of the yagi antenna, is that the area that provides the best results for reception? I believe this is refered to radiaition pattern correct? I say this because I notice on both grid patterns ( mine and yours ) the other sites are out of that area on the plot.

How does one line up the antenna to the target? I can not see it so I would be guessing and you say it needs to be right on as far as degree movement. In my case either 5 to 10 degree's. How does one line this optimally?

The target that you refer to. I take it that would be site 7 ( as described in southwest frequency directory )located on sky harbor blvd the one closest to me?

How will this yagi antenna and it's position affect the other bands that I want to scan, ham, aviation and other areas?

The two positon switch, what exactly is that for. There are two positions to it. How would I know when to use one switch position vs. the other?

The tower that I plan on using, it is not grounded. I understand why to ground it. The base of it is in concrete on the side of my house. Dont you have to run the ground into dirt?

If some of these are basic anetenna questions, sorry about that. As I explain, all of this is greek to me.

Thanks for your assistance, I really appreciate it. This has been very informative. It kinda makes me want to study for a ham radio license. I am sure all of this would be covered in that.

Rchjr

ReCall

My highest compliments Phoenix...very well documented!
I thoroughly agree with you in your diagnosis and I'm eager to try the same with the 2 yagi's that I'm currently constructing for the 800 mhz. 1 long and 1 short.
What I'm finding with the current offering from GRE and many of you may find, when it comes to antennas "more is less". I am finding that the old advise of "you need more antenna" just does not work in my area so I set about creating 2 antennas for a pair of 106's portable and a 197 base, if you don't mind me saying with some good results. My little ground plane outperforms my custom built discone on a digital tower 35 miles away, my signal has gone from a 2 on the discone to a solid 4 going to 5 on the ground plane. So when I hit it with more antenna my signal degraded and yes I know the GP is cut more for the 800's, but the discone is 400mhz and up. little thing, big coax. looks like a Kreco

So I'm not seen as stealing too much of your wonderful thread, let me suggest 2 other things that I have found that works for me in my area:
A. Ferrite chokes - I found a slight reduction in white noise. right at the scanner
B. I found an increase on the 2 tower system, when I changed the digital scanner to roam even though the scanner is in a fixed location on a ground plane.

We have some very talented members that know a lot more about antenna design than I, but I believe we may be looking at the next generation of scanners, both from GRE and Uniden, that will send us all scratching our heads at least for now.
So keep up the good work

ReCall

SWCOScanner

Feed Provider
Phoenix Scanner, THANK YOU! Extremely good information, and while I do not monitor a simulcast system, I monitor multiple (3-5) sites on the Colorado DTRS, so the alignment of my yagi can be troublesome. Your information is helping me to try and plot the best possible single antenna position. In the end, I may end up having to have multiple antennas, but that's yet another disaster to be dealt with in another topic...

Thanks again!

Brian

ERICMYERS

Outstanding post, Phoenixscanner. I'm in the Chicago area scanning a Motorola Starcom 21 system with simulcast on several sites. Your point of attenuating vs 'more antenna' is spot on. Rich Carlson brought this up as a topic in the last CARMA meeting as well.

I just completed building a yagi tuned to 774mhz last weekend, and have been testing it for a week now on the CC for one of the simulcast sites I monitor. My less scientific method for finding the direction best suited to point the Yagi at, ended up some number of degrees away from directly pointing at my closest tower, and not quite 180 degrees away from the estimated 'midpoint' of the other towers. Just a few degrees off of the optimum spot I found through trial and error is noticeably worse. I'm completely using 'kentucky windage' for measurements unlike you, my friend.

My goal and theory when I set out to learn how to build a Yagi 2 weeks ago was eliminating the effects of multipath by eliminating as much of the multipath signal from other simulcast towers as possbile. Hence the directive antenna. That was a cheap, fun and challenging project. My next one will be better executed, but my first try is a real success in getting an annoying simulcast/digital decode problem solved.

Yes, it worked and your post came up just as I was wondering why that particular direction worked best. I'm getting very low error rates and virtually 100% decode, versus maybe 50% and error rates routinely in the 30+ range.

Happy Scanning and thanks again for a great post that a lot of people will benefit from,
Eric

Thanks for the kind words all, I am happy to share this since it has brought some exciting results to what was extreme frustration (trying to monitor simulcast).

The target tower here is the Southern-most tower (sky harbor), as it is close, and allows the other nearby towers to be attenuated pretty well. rchjr - you will need to try two things. One is to point 10 degrees left of the target site, and also try 5 degrees left of it. See which works better. Amazingly (lucky in your case), Due South is EXACTLY 10 degrees left of your target. So, if you point the yagi DUE SOUTH (use a compass), that is your "10 degree left" direction. Then, try 5 degrees more to the right. So, you could draw on a large piece of paper, a 5 degree angle for a guide to see what it looks like.

I should have mentioned in the first post that you do of course need to figure out what angle your target site is FROM A COMPASS DIRECTION (North or South or East or West), so you have a reference point, and then add or subtract that in as needed so you have a reference in all of this.
If it is run down into the ground, concrete or not, it is somewhat grounded already, just not probably as well as it should be. At least add one more copper plated ground rod four feet or so away and put a clamp on the mast and the rod, and run some decent thick copper wire between, then weatherproof the connections. Better would be multiple rods in a Y pattern, per NEC. You can google how to lay out ground rods length vs placement for more info, but even one four foot rod hooked up to the mast would be a good thing for sure. Don't forget static discharge.

The diamond antenna switch I use for my 197 is to switch between the yagi and a radio shack sputnik (1/4 wave vhf uhf ground plane antenna). Here's how it works. Most of the time the yagi should work fine for you. It will pull in all 800mhz systems just fine despite where it is pointed, still plenty strong enough. UHF will work well too. VHF will still work ok, and you may be using attenuation for best results. Any element up in the air will get a lot of signal with towers not far off, regardless of element size. Even vhf airband comes in "OK", believe it or not. BUT, when you hear something cool in VHF, or a distant signal in anther band, that's when you use the switch to go over to an omni-directional antenna or some other antenna better designed for the other bands, to pull that signal in. You don't HAVE to do this, it's just a nice addition to the setup you could always do later. I have always said a piece of hanger wire above the roof will work better than any duck antenna, and although joking, there is a lot of truth there. That yagi will pull in a lot of things better than you expect it to, despite the fact that it is a tuned 800mhz antenna pointed in one direction. 95% of the time its all I need.

ReCall, I like the ferrite choke idea and have used them on speakers before. I will have to play around with that. Thanks.

Anyway, the yagi really is worth doing if you live in simulcast hell. Look at your layout in your situation, and likely you will end up seeing a huge improvement in reception. You spend $400 or $500 on a high-tech scanner, so you might as well spend another $100 and get your money's worth out of it.

Last edited:

rchjr

Thanks for answering questions

Phoenix Scanner,

Thanks, now I understand your earlier post alot better. I will be installing that system as you have explained. I do live in simulcast hell as you describe. Sometimes I only get half of what is being said. I appreciate the time and effort you have put forth in this. When everything is up and running I will take some photo's and send them to you.

Again thanks for informative post on this. It is very appreciated.

Rchjr

Correction

I apologize for the correction, but that was put together after a late night up and I realized that post didn't exactly explain things the way I wanted to, and there was an error. I wish I could start from scratch because I would have edited it to read more like this:

From the FIRST TWO IMAGES we can see what happens when the yagi is pointed directly at the tower.

From the THIRD AND FOURTH IMAGES, you can see that by rotating the yagi CLOCKWISE 10 degrees (not counterclockwise like my OP said) NOW you get better attenuation. The yagi had to rotate TOWARDS the rest of the sites (clockwise) to reduce the angle between its direction and the rest of the sites, thereby allowing them to be attenuated more, to lay out in better positions on the graph.

The final image shows the gain you get with the yagi pointed 10 degrees clockwise from the target site, which is still good.

It was a mistake to show the yagi's direction and the other sites all on the same polar graph because the other sites' attenuation relates to the yagi with it being "0" on the graph. Showing everything on one grid confused me and got me reversed. Wherever the yagi points is "0" on this graph. It just so happens that rotating it the 10 degress clockwise leads to the other towers reading the way they do in image 2.

So for this gentleman's situation, he will want to rotate 10 degrees CLOCKWISE, not counterclockwise as previously stated in the OP. See arrow on map.

He might also still try the 5 degree rotation also, but it will be CLOCKWISE (this if the Northeast-most site is obstructed from his location).

Sorry for the mistake. Hope this makes sense.

Attachments

• DEAD ON TOWERa.jpg
    DEAD ON TOWERa.jpg
    122.8 KB · Views: 1,096
  • DEAD ON TOWERb.jpg
    DEAD ON TOWERb.jpg
    64.9 KB · Views: 1,001
  • 10 DEG CLOCKWISEa.jpg
    10 DEG CLOCKWISEa.jpg
    127.6 KB · Views: 982
  • 10 DEG CLOCKWISEb.jpg
    10 DEG CLOCKWISEb.jpg
    59.7 KB · Views: 1,033
  • EFFECT OF OFFSET TARGET.jpg
    EFFECT OF OFFSET TARGET.jpg
    18.8 KB · Views: 1,020
Last edited:

commscanaus

This is great work Phoenix Scanner!

Very informative and interesting.
Unfortunately there are no simulcast systems in use here- but your described method could certainly help with some close by sites causing reception issues with those further away.

Regards, Commscanaus.

ERICMYERS

That yagi will pull in a lot of things better than you expect it to, despite the fact that it is a tuned 800mhz antenna pointed in one direction. 95% of the time its all I need.

Anyway, the yagi really is worth doing if you live in simulcast hell. Look at your layout in your situation, and likely you will end up seeing a huge improvement in reception. You spend $400 or $500 on a high-tech scanner, so you might as well spend another $100 and get your money's worth out of it.

Phoenix,
This was my big revelation with the Yagi I built. It works FAR better on signals it's "not optimized for" than I would have ever expected.

For sure, building one yourself for under $10 is worth the money and effort. I learned a lot in a few hours of research, and used Martin E. Meserve's website to calculate the design of the boom/directors/reflectors and also the folded dipole driven element. http://www.k7mem.150m.com.

I don't know if Martin reads RR or not, but what a stand up guy for making that site!!

Now you have me thinking about getting a switch, as I too toggle between a sputnik and the rest of the growing collection.

cheers,
Eric

Phoenix,
This was my big revelation with the Yagi I built. It works FAR better on signals it's "not optimized for" than I would have ever expected.

For sure, building one yourself for under $10 is worth the money and effort. I learned a lot in a few hours of research, and used Martin E. Meserve's website to calculate the design of the boom/directors/reflectors and also the folded dipole driven element. http://www.k7mem.150m.com.

I don't know if Martin reads RR or not, but what a stand up guy for making that site!!

Now you have me thinking about getting a switch, as I too toggle between a sputnik and the rest of the growing collection.

cheers,
Eric

I am tempted to try making one as well. Mine would be for UHF though. The diamond two way switch is awesome with something like a .1 db insertion loss, but I may end up picking up the three way version for even more variety eventually.

As far as better than expected reception on other bands, it really is amazing isn't it? With my yagi the whole darn things IS the element in a sense, and though I don't know why this is, I know it is supposed to be that way, I emailed and asked. I could be wrong, but having that big hunk of aluminum out there pulls in a lot of lower frequency stuff, even though the yagi is tuned for the 800 mhz band. My yagi picks up VHF airband better than any duck antenna equipped portable, without a doubt.

rchjr

Update!

Phoenix Scanner

I have installed the yagi antenna that you recommended..........what a difference in reception. The first thing that I noticed right away was signal strength on the scanner itself. It is a constant 5 bars, then the second was no static or digitized sound what so ever. I am picking up alot more than I was before. I have been experimenting with the position of the antenna itself, between 5 and 10 degrees as you suggested. It is probably 35 feet up in the air, when installing wouldnt ya know the wind would start blowing. Not all that thrilled with heights, especially hanging from the top of a ham radio tower swaying when it starts to blow hard. I have my pro 96 side by side with the 996 and have been hearing the static on the 96 and nothing on the 996. I hear traffic on the 996 when there is nothing coming from the 96. I used a compass to tell me where due south was and from there positioned the antenna between 5 and 10 degree's clockwise.

For you folks who live in the phx area and listen to Phx pd and want better reception, this is the way to go.

Thanks for your help Phoenix Scanner,

What a difference!

Rchjr

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.