The Diamond RH77CA: Honest opinions?

Status
Not open for further replies.

br0adband

I've owned a lot of scanners in my time, and I'm still searching for the best performing all-coverage antenna there is. It's a practical impossibility for one antenna to cover every frequency band of course, but some of them do pretty well considering they're all we have.

I recently read some great reviews of the Diamond RH77CA and for $22 plus shipping, is this the best all coverage handheld scanning antenna out there?

Just asking for opinions as I noted several people at RR claim to own one. I'm interested in VHF air reception, VHF high and UHF as well as 800-900 coverage.

Again, it's $22 so it's not going to kill me to purchase one, but I thought I'd ask for some opinions first.

Also, I know that C.Crane sells the "SuperGainer" which I believe is a slightly stiffer version of the same antenna, sorta like a pipe cleaner in principle since it can be flexed into different positions and shapes and it'll hold that shape.

So come on RH77CA owners, lemme know what you think of this antenna.

Many thanks,

Paul

scanjunkie

Best antenna I ever owned...I monitor everything from VHF low to 800...It works incredibly well on all bands. I liked it so much I bought another...

Enjoy!!
Mark

Dubbin

Feed Provider
In your search I'm sure that you found many opinions on the antenna. How many more do you need? Yes its a fine antenna.

John_M

I like my Diamond RH771 (Super Gainer) antenna. When I get my BCD396T I am going to buy another one. Diamond also sells
airband handheld antennas.

bonus1331

Get it!!!
Received mine today. Been monitoring ever since. Currently using a BC246. Used the stock, a telescoping Radio Shack, and the RS 800 Mz antenna.
I monitor some 800 Mz. systems as well as some PS in the 150 Mz area. This antenna is picking up everything crystal clear.
Had a tough time monitoring some conventional PS in the 155 Mz area, now coming in solid.
Then went to the Public Service search and am receiving comms. I had never heard before. Will need to search the frequencies to find out where they are coming from.
Then searched the NOAA weather frequencies. Previously was able to PU one. Now receiving 3!
Best handheld antenna I have ever bought, and I've been monitoring for over 20 years.
Don't know why I waited.

br0adband

J_Medley1:

Yep, I noticed those airband antennas and I'm an avid airband listener soooo... can't wait till the 396T gets here so I get my milair back!!

Dubbin: Thanks for the remarkably restrained opinion. All of them help.

Paul

brwkem

RH771

Is there any big advantage using the RH771 compared to the RH77CA?

Dont see 771 listed at Diamonds website?

h8tdigitalradio

Feed Provider
Hello,

The Diamond RH77CA Antenna is a good performing antenna. :) I use it on my BC246T or iCOM IC-R20. I find it is most useful for weak EDACS or MOT systems. It does a fantastic job on Civil and MilAir, VHF Hi, and UHF. No complaints. Will have to buy the SMA version for the upcoming BCD396T.

Dave AKA The Tripzter :shock:

br0adband

Well I got it yesterday and right from the gitgo I decided to try and receive some freqs that I know are considered fringe spots from my listening post and sure enough, the RH77CA yanked the signals right in clear as a whistle. I have the Radio Shack center loaded telescoping whip and even when I tune it to specific bands it doesn't pull in stuff like this.

So it's worth the $22 I paid for it, and when I land my hands on a 396T I'll be purchasing the SMA connector version of the same antenna (SRH77CA).

Thanks for the input everyone,

Paul

whooey

br0adband said:
Well I got it yesterday and right from the gitgo I decided to try and receive some freqs that I know are considered fringe spots from my listening post and sure enough, the RH77CA yanked the signals right in clear as a whistle. I have the Radio Shack center loaded telescoping whip and even when I tune it to specific bands it doesn't pull in stuff like this.

So it's worth the $22 I paid for it, and when I land my hands on a 396T I'll be purchasing the SMA connector version of the same antenna (SRH77CA).

Thanks for the input everyone,

Paul

I totally agree, bad a$$ antenna!! I'm pulin sigs from 60 miles away never got w/ the duckie and the whip!!

brwkem

Got it

Received mine yesterday.
Disappointed.
Picking up alot of static with it compared to the RS 800 model.
Using them on BC 246T.
:((

Air490

Definately more solid than a wet noodle!!!

Its more like fuse wire, but thicker. You can bend it to what ever position (or shape you want) and it will hold that position.

Pro-95

That's better! :lol:

Seems like a flexible and hold shape style might be a plus if not an obvious benefit to an 18" long handheld antenna.

What are the drawbacks to altering the overall shape of the antenna? Are there benefits to being able to create loops or sawtooths or?????

kcoleman

I've ordered one as well. I've read so many good things about the RH77 I'm looking forward to trying it out on my new PRO-97...see if I can pull in some Milcom.

The down side....Universal Radio has them on backorder. They expect them in 10-14 days. Bummer!!

Status
Not open for further replies.