Diamond SRH999 Antenna Opinions

Status
Not open for further replies.

bonus1331

SRH999 Quadband HT Antenna

High quality, high gain HT antenna. Flexible whip with SMA. Increase the performance on your handheld or wideband scanner with a Diamond® SRH Series antenna.
Specifications:
Bands: 6m/2m/70cm/23cm
Gain: +4 dBR
Watts: 10
Height: 19.5"
Connector: SMA
*Rated against typical stock HT antennas.

I already own the Diamond 77CA,Diamond RHF40, and RS 800 antenna.

This antenna looks interesting with the quad band specs.
Anyone have any experience with this antenna?
Looking to get additional reception out of the 800 bands.

KC8JPZ

Premium Subscriber
Well, Ive had mine for about 8 months now. I think it transmits great on 70cm. Seems to be a bit down on 2 meter and as far as 6 and 23cm.. Your guess is as good as mine. Also, I would not suggest using this antenna on one of those rubber duckie relocators. I tried it. I think I may have messed the antenna up. It works fine as long as it doesnt move.At all. I looked at it while on the highway andthat thing really folds over and bounces around allot. But overall, I think its a great antenna. I use mine with a VX7R.

coyneg

I have an SRH999 that I've been using with my BCD396T and my Yaesu VX-7R as an alternative to the "stock" rubber duck.

The SRH999 reception on the scanner is superior to the manufacturer supplied antenna, and in general I'm able to get pretty good signal strength indoors in the Austin/Travis county area on the APCO-25 trunked system.

I am going to compare the SRH999 to a Radio Shack "RS 800" (cat. #20-283) this evening. I'll add a reply after I've completed the comparison.

The SRH999 works quite well on the VX-7R too...

coyneg

After a couple of hours of monitoring/comparison, the RS 800 (cat. # 20-283) is far superior with respect to the 800Mhz band, and in general for my handheld BCD396T than either the stock rubber-duckie or the Diamond SRH999...

Given the $19 price on the RS 800 vs. the $50 for the SRH999, there is absolutely no comparison for handheld/portable scanner use. The SRH999 is worthwhile for HT Ham use, and while better than a stock rubber-duck for my scanner, the RS 800 is the winner.

bonus1331

Appreciate the comparison. Already have a couple of the RS 800 antennas.
You guys saved me $50 bucks.
Thanks

Status
Not open for further replies.