Need advice on Multicoupler, which one?

Status
Not open for further replies.

cg

Premium Subscriber
MCA204 is likely the one (25 MHz - 1 GHz). The other is for Shortwave (500 KHz to 50 MHZ)

chris

N9JIG

Sheriff
squadman said:
Planning on purchasing the following antenna,

www.scannerworld.com/content/product/model/SP800BNC and a multicoupler from www.stridsberg.com/index.htm but not sure which one to get, 3 scanners that will monitor all the frequencies.

I was looking at either of these 2, but not sure which one is the correct model.

MCA104M
MCA204M

The MCA104M is intended for HF monitoring, the MCA204M is intended for scanner bands, so go with the MCA204M.

I have several Stridberg multicouplers, including the MCA204M, the MCA804 and MCA208M and they work great.

ampulman

squadman said:
Planning on purchasing the following antenna,

www.scannerworld.com/content/product/model/SP800BNC and a multicoupler from www.stridsberg.com/index.htm but not sure which one to get, 3 scanners that will monitor all the frequencies.

I was looking at either of these 2, but not sure which one is the correct model.

MCA104M
MCA204M

Do you (or anyone) have any good information on the antenna's performance at 700 mhz and above? The website (like many that offer 'multi-band' antennas) doesn't provide any info.

AM

trooperdude

Database Admin
Some unsolicited advice:

Ditch the coax that comes with the scanner antenna in favor of some
high quality RG-6U Quad Shield, or LMR-400. Especially if you are concerned about
frequencies >700MHZ

Personally I've had really bad experiences with Stridsburg. I think they are high priced and
under performing. I went through 3 of them before I finally gave up.

Try a cable drop amp for ~$30 first, and some decent coax before you sink a lot
of $$$ into a system.

YMMV.

KC1UA

Scan New England Janitor/Maintenance
Database Admin
I'll second that. They perform amazingly well, and can be had sometimes literally for pennies. I've snagged two that cost more for shipping than they did to buy. Make sure you get the UGA2402 or UGA2802 only though. The others have higher amplification. The 2402 and 2802 only have enough amplification to overcome the loss of splitting a signal four or eight ways respectively, which is the result you desire with a multicoupler.

Lexxx

scancapcod

I just happened to have pickied up one of those 4 port Electoline UG2402 multicouplers on Ebay for next to nothing.

I'm only going to be using 3 of the 4 outputs. I don't have a 'cap' for the unsed output, and was wondering if this is necessary with scanner technology? If I was using this multicoupler with my cable TV system then I can see capping off the unused port, but is it necessary when used with an antenna? I can go out and get one if I have to.

What's been your experience.

Thanks
Peter
www.ykf.ca

squadman

Feed Provider
Thanks for all the different options, but with my limited knowledge on putting cable ends on cable, plus my low vision problems that I have I'm looking for the easiest way to do things even though not the best way to do it. Eventually down the road if I can find someone that could make me the correct cables I'd considered investing into whatever I need to do it.

KC1UA

Scan New England Janitor/Maintenance
Database Admin
I've never had an issue with it. Stopping cable leakage is a must, but there's no leakage to speak of here. Shouldn't be an issue.

Scott

Lexxx said:
I'm only going to be using 3 of the 4 outputs. I don't have a 'cap' for the unsed output, and was wondering if this is necessary with scanner technology? If I was using this multicoupler with my cable TV system then I can see capping off the unused port, but is it necessary when used with an antenna? I can go out and get one if I have to.

tonsoffun

Senior Moderator
Premium Subscriber
scancapecod said:
I'll second that. They perform amazingly well, and can be had sometimes literally for pennies. I've snagged two that cost more for shipping than they did to buy. Make sure you get the UGA2402 or UGA2802 only though. The others have higher amplification. The 2402 and 2802 only have enough amplification to overcome the loss of splitting a signal four or eight ways respectively, which is the result you desire with a multicoupler.

Hey Scott,
I wanted to try the EDA-4G Amplifier splitter to see how much amplication I get compared to my 2402. I am also in the outskirts of the city so keep that in mind.
It turned out to work great and I got no overload with model EDA-4G and actually getting better signals into the scanner from this model.
I wouldn't know if you would get overloaded if anyone is in the city.
Just some info for you guys
Take care

tonsoffun said:
Hey squadman
I now use the Electroline products with great results and others on the RR forum.
I had bought a Stridsburg as well and compared the Electroline and seen no difference at all.
They can be bought on Fleabay. Here is the link:
http://stores.ebay.com/Electroline-Cable-TV-Amps
Take care

I see they spec them 54-1000 Mhz. As you have actually used them, do you know if they actually perform below that? We've still got a lot of stuff still on VHF low band here.

To bad they don't go down to HF. I need to spring for an active 8 port HF multicoupler pretty soon.

squadman

Feed Provider
Declared_Hostile said:
I see they spec them 54-1000 Mhz. As you have actually used them, do you know if they actually perform below that? We've still got a lot of stuff still on VHF low band here.

I was wondering the same thing, I monitor 30-40 Mhz all the time.

tonsoffun

Senior Moderator
Premium Subscriber
trooperdude said:
Probably not good for low band.

I'll have to test it tonight on my California Highway Patrol radio (42Mhz)

Hey Trooperdude,
Which one (Multicoupler) do you have?
Take care
Ron

Lexxx

Well, finally got around to setting up my 4 port Electoline UG2402 multicoupler I picked up on Ebay.

I'm very impressed. The quality of signal certainly improved with one radio, and was as good, if not slightly better with another.

The biggest improvement came when connected to a BC350c with a 75 ohm antenna cable coonection. Definitely a sharper signal. Any improvement was much less noticeable when using my better 50 ohm antenna cable to a BC898T. Both ended at two homemade 1/4 wave antennas built to capture specific air frequencies.

I wasn't expecting any improvement, just wanted to get all the scanners onto the 50 ohm cable. Thanks to those suggesting this multicoupler.

Lexx
www.ykf.ca

trooperdude

Database Admin
tonsoffun said:
Hey Trooperdude,
Which one (Multicoupler) do you have?
Take care
Ron

Electroline 1 port mast mounted fed by an 800 yagi for San Francisco's trunk system.

Electroline 4 port for my VHF fire scanning.

Electroline 8 port to feed the rest of the scanners.

I had Stridsburg before and I wasn't impressed.

Very impressed with the cost/value of the Electroline's that are surplus off
of Ebay.

LukeB

Just to confirm the difference between an EDA2400 and a UG2402 is more amplification on the EDA model?

trooperdude said:
Electroline 1 port mast mounted fed by an 800 yagi for San Francisco's trunk system.

Electroline 4 port for my VHF fire scanning.

Electroline 8 port to feed the rest of the scanners.

I had Stridsburg before and I wasn't impressed.

Very impressed with the cost/value of the Electroline's that are surplus off
of Ebay.

So how does it do in low band? I see starts off at 54mhz

Status
Not open for further replies.