Yaesu VX 7r

Status
Not open for further replies.

usnasa

hello all i have a Yaesu VX 7r radio can anyone suggest a better antenna for this radio or is the stock one go enought for all bands frequeinces that i would like to listen too does anyone have this radio ?

KB9NLL

New London (Outagamie Co. WI) & Readfield (waupa
As with most a telescopic is usually better my VX7R antenna got caught in the car door cause I didn't take it of when I got in. I then got a Diamond(?) telescopic with swivel base. OK, but perhaps I was a little to rough with it, not saying it's the quality at all my base got kinda loose from the telescopic parts tried to fix it but I'm going to have to order something else. And also keep in mind what bands you want to use the one I had was for only three bands on that radio for transmit. which was fine for me and also there kinda expensive.

:cool:

Tweekerbob

I use the Maldol MH-510 when you need to get out (our poke your eye out). Or when you need something compact and not completely worthless, the MH-511 gets used.

Tweekerbob

The SRH77CA will fit directly on the radio. If you're gonna order it from someone, make sure you get the S version (the one with the SMA connector) and you're golden.

usnasa

thanks very much for the info but is there a shorter antenna or something you can open and close that i can use on my radio that is just as good as the one you mention thanks

Last edited:

n2mdk

You can use it but the thing about telescopic whips is they ten to be very unwieldy when extended fully and will put extra strain on the SMA because of their length

usnasa

I see well would u recommend this if u dont fully open it all the way would u get a better gain than just the stock antenna

thanks alot

n2mdk

Truthfully I'm not even sure about using that antenna to transmit, generally your hard put to burn out the finals in a hand held because most duckies don't give you a great swr. If your looking for a higher gain transmit and receive antenna I would go with my original recommendation the SHR77CA using the SHR789 collapsed is not going to be any better than the stock antenna.

n2mdk

No it doesn't fold as for how much better it is over the stock antenna all I can say is that on my VX-5 and FT-60 I can get into a repeater with it that I can't with the stock antenna. When I lived in NYC the reports of my signal were much better using it than the one that came with the radio. The gain is better on 440 than it is on 2M IMO.

I own both the Diamond and Comet, I don't really care for the Comet it's sort of just too thin. I think the way is flexes around effects the signal at times.

Last edited:

W4KRR

Premium Subscriber
It's going to be difficult finding an aftermarket antenna for the VX-7 that works better than the stock antenna, but is no bigger than the stock antenna. In this case, smaller isn't going to work better.

I too recommend the Diamond SRH77CA.

SAR923

I have a verson of the Diamond SRH77 but it is on an elevated base and it does fold about a quarter of the way up so you can have it vertical if the radio is laying flat on a surface. I wish I could remember the model number but I bought it several years ago and the only thing it says on the base is "Made in Japan". It's on a VX-2R. If you wanted to receive anything outside the ham bands on the VX-2, you had to replace the antenna as the stock antenna is competely deaf outside those ranges. OTOH, I've heard the VX-7 antenna is actually quite good and the equal to the Diamond in both transmission and reception. You may already have the best antenna you can get for your radio.

Status
Not open for further replies.