AOR AR-2515 Radio

Status
Not open for further replies.

nbcproducer

I own an AOR AR2515 model communications receiver (5-1500 MHz). It still works fine. But programming the portable scanner is another story. This radio dates back the early 1990s, and the third-party software purchased to control it is from an era when MS-DOS was still commonly used. The MS-DOS software I've had for it is Scancat-Pro from Computer Aided Technologies of Shreveport, LA. Does anyone know of other software available to control this AOR model? I prefer something functioning in Windows 2000, XP or even Vista operating environments? The radio features a remote socket for RS232 plugins, so that's how it communicates with the PC. Given that the RS232 plugs are not standard today on most desktop and laptops, would someone know if there's a RS232 to USB adaptor?

In any event, I am considering selling this AOR model--not because it doesn't work--but because it's frustrating to program without the computer. Newer models may not have the frequency range but they are available with several types of software. Any information on these questions would be helpful. Thank you.

Last edited:

morfis

I've never seen a 2515 in the UK but IIRC they are quite similar to the 3000. Have you tried any of the windows software that supports the 3000?

byndhlptom

Ar2515

If I remember correctly, the 2515 was basicaly a memory upgraded 2002. I have one, but don't know of a programing package that supports it.

good luck in your search

tom

morfis

If I remember correctly, the 2515 was basicaly a memory upgraded 2002. I have one, but don't know of a programing package that supports it.

good luck in your search

tom

If it is indeed using the same programming system as the 2002 then a very expensive interface was required and is unlikely to be available nowadays. Though the connector looked like a RS232 serial port it wasn't RS232 compatible.

causticsand

AOR AR-2515 Scanner Software

I also purchased this scanner back in the early 90's. I found my software disk with the original scanner control software from ACE communications a few weeks ago. Shockingly, the data came off with no problems. Since the company is no longer in business and I know when I looked around on the Internet trying to find this software, it is rare indeed.

I run Linux Mint 11 and use dosbox to emulate a DOS environment. I added this line to the dosbox.conf file in the [serial] section:
serial1=directserial realport:ttyS0 irq:4 startbps:9600

I do not know how this software would perform under windows since my windows computers don't have serial ports any more. GRRR!

I would like to share with the world. If someone would like a copy of this disk, send me a message. I have a torrent up with the name "aor_software" whose hash is dd73d84adcba3e7385ede81d347c54488a5c28ea . I can't even find my own torrent when I search the torrent sites, so that's why I ask for a message.

timmer

I have the aor2002 and the 3000. both were great radios. I always wanted a 2515 but never got one. Extremely sensitive, and both, (but more so the 3000) could handle the signal from an outdoor antenna without much overload/intermod. Just needed a RS fm filter and you were in business for some long range uhf and vhf aircraft monitoring

causticsand

Shockingly, amazingly the software is still available

The torrent has been down forever. Email isn't working for me since the software has a .exe extension that Gmail and Yahoo! won't let me send. Therefore, for now, I have the zip file up on Dropbox. Here's the link....if it'll post here: https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/61709819/aor_2515_software.zip

It's been 4? years since I first posted and the link is still valid. Hello to all future people that come here for it!

causticsand

I just got a message that Dropbox is discontinuing it's Public folder. Looks like that means the link to the aor-2515 software I have shared there will also go away. It is the only file I have to share in the folder and when I read they were shutting it down, my only though was about anyone that still needed the software. I already get about 50 spam emails a day, and web crawlers looking for email address will only get better so posing my email address here seems like a bad idea. I am open to advice. I think what I will do is make sure my account here is updated correctly and ensure that any replies to my posts are forwarded. Good luck out there!

califmusicman

Is there a valid link still for the software link for the aor-2515? I have it on the large floppy disk but who still has a PC that uses that!

Status
Not open for further replies.