AOR AR5001D why?

Status
Not open for further replies.

KA2ZEY

I'm wondering why this new AOR receiver commands such a high price? I'm not knocking AOR, I know they make a great product but I'm just wondering why the high price tag when there's no trunking and the APCO-25 option is almost the price of a high end scanner. Am I missing something?

KC1UA

Scan New England Janitor/Maintenance
Database Admin
I have two AR5000A+3's and wouldn't trade them in for anything. I'd guess the increased price of this model is due to the built in spectrum display, ability to monitor multiple channels, I&Q output, etc.

brandon

Database Admin
They likely cater to the professional and government markets who can pay the high prices.

blantonl

Founder and CEO
Staff member
Super Moderator
I concur with Scott. I own a AR5000A+3 and a Icom R9500 and with out a doubt the 5000 goes toe-to-toe with the 9500. Even to the point that I would give the nod to the AR5000A+3 for performance on HF.

There are many different idiosyncrasies between those top end receivers, but they definitely pull their weight - both of them.

I would love to own an AOR-One but the wife has put her foot down. :) Maybe one day....

gcgrotz

Thanks for the viewpoint Lindsay, I have often wondered how the AOR's compared to the 9500. I know of Icom's engineering skills from the Ham products they make. The 9500 seems almost like test equipment and the AOR line looks like something stuck in a shed in some remote hilltop location and remotely controlled from Langley, VA or some embassy somewhere.

I think it was QST magazine that said the 9500 was the best receiver they had ever tested.

coz

Premium Subscriber
I'm thinking about getting the AR2300 or the AR5001D. Do you think it'a foolish to try to use one of these as a scanner replacement? I used to have a Perseus sdr and i enjoyed using the spectrum analysis to pick out signals and I thought that it would be great doing the same with one of these in the upper bands.

KC1UA

Scan New England Janitor/Maintenance
Database Admin
These receivers can scan, but they are meant to be precision communications receivers and not scanners. If you're planning to scan you'll be better off with a quality scanner. If you enjoy searching for activity in depth these receivers are among the best you can get.

freqhunter

Premium Subscriber
I agree with scancapecod. I love my AOR's and wouldn't sell them but they are much more for specialized frequency analysis. As a scanner you may be frustrated and disappointed. Something like a 996 or 600 would serve your "scanner" needs better. If your looking to get down and dirty though it's hard to beat the AOR's.

coz

Premium Subscriber
last question

Thanks for the insight that makes a lot of sense. my last question for you is do you think the sensitivity is fine for HF work with these wideband scanners? People have told me that I would get much better performance from a dedicated HF sdr like a Perseus?

Thanks a lot!

freqhunter

Premium Subscriber
A HF rig will work much better. A Icom IC-718 for instance is not too expensive and works well. The more important bit though is antenna.... Antenna..... Antenna!

Good luck.

Turbo68

I got the Aor-Alpha & Icom-R9500 at dads place they are both excellent wideband receivers as for hf if u havent got the right antenna u are not going to get any where i use the Wellbrook active loops ALA1530,
ALA1530L,ALA330S all do excellent job on hf there not cheap but they do work.

Regards Lino.

coz

Premium Subscriber
I think I'm going to try the Wellbrook. I was considering the AOR amplified antenna but I like how the Wellbrook is auto tuned. Thanks for the responses. AR-Alpha and a IR-9500 that's an awesome setup!

rma0100

I own a AOR 5000+3 and I would not trade it for any other radio except the 5001D which I intend to buy. The sensitivity and selectivity is unmatched. I've been in this hobby and profession for more than 30 years and it's without a doubt the best receiver I have ever owned. Using a Rohde and Schwarz sig gen I have compared it against several other radios such as the 996T and it blows it away. The 996XT is sensitive but it bypasses a carier several times before finally acquiring it and with less strength. I'd love to run tests on it against the 9500 and the 8500 but I don't own either. It's off air performance using almost any antenna outperforms anything I have ever owned. The number of keypad functions is endless but you won't learn the radio in a day or two. It's extensive. It's performance on 225-400 is outstanding, especially with the DPD Productions LP MIL AIR antenna.. I'm waiting for the price of the 5001D to drop before I shell out thousands of dollars. Universal Radio seems to have the best price so far at $4,000. I'll continue to search for the best price and I'll post it when I do.

whitenoise

Just want to point out one more time (as i did in another thread) that the AR2300 does not scan due to a firmware or software bug. Maybe someday AOR will fix it but today it will only scan ONE channel. It will search but not scan. It is a great *receiver* and I use it all the time with a very wide band SDR attached to it's very wide IF. Another feature that drives up the price is the external reference input which is useful in high frequency applications. I use it more often than the R9500 because it is quieter (no fans) and has a wider IF.

woodpecker

I've found no receiver the can out perform the IC-R9500 for both sensitivity and strong signal handling, AOR receivers are junk in comparison, on a decent antenna they overload with ease, their so called commercial flagship receiver the AR-Alpha is also crap, see the link below to one of my test videos on it.

The ar-iq software is just the Perseus software modified and has no support or updates, you get much better results with an RFSpace NetSDR on the IF of the IC-R9500.

The only reason I keep my AOR receivers is the FFT search function.

AOR AR-Alpha Review Problems & Faults #1 - YouTube

whitenoise

Woodpecker,

Each radio has it positives and negatives. I own both AR2300 and R9500. I also use SDR-IP, NetSDR and QSDR, each of those have their positives and negatives too. The AR 2300 IF is cleaner and wider than what is available with the R9500 IMO. I use AR2300 for applications that need > 4MHz IF that is free of images..... R9500 cannot do that, also, the R9500 engineers failed to suppress the internal 10 mhz reference signal from showing up in the IF - pretty bad IMO. But with that said, I do use the R9500 and wouldn't trade it for anything. The AR2300, well I would trade it for say 5001D :) but only because i am hoping they fix the firmware on that one.

I am sure the R9500 is better and less susceptible to overload but in my applications the clean IF is more important.

woodpecker

I haven't tried a 5001D or 2300, from my experience with their so called flagship receiver, the AR-Alpha, I am surprised the 2300 or 5001D are better. The AR-Alpha doesn't even have an IF output (some flagship!)so I can't check how clean it is.

I can pull signals out of the noise with the Icom 9500 at 456MHz that I can't even hear on the AR-Alpha, SR2000, SR2000A, AR8600 II or SR2200. The 2300 and 5001D might be better but I doubt it very much.

I agree the wideband IF on the 9500 is a bit noisy but I find it perfect when using the NetSDR at 1.6MHz BW

rma0100

I'm hoping to buy an AOR 5001D pretty soon. Universal seems to have the best price at $4,445 I think. The initial price when it hit the streets was $5K. I can remember when you could buy new car for that $$$. However, I already have the 5000+3 and find it to be the best receiver and scanner I have ever owned. AOR is like a lot of electronics manufactures, they need to continue to come up with new models every 6 months or so. So, I hoping for a well priced used one or a price reduction in the near future. And we all thought the Uniden 996XT was pricy....LOL. Speaking of that why doesn't Uniden come out with something like a 5001D. I'm sure their engineering staff has the capability. There's nothing like compitition to lower prices.

Status
Not open for further replies.