what do you think of your AR8200Mk3 ?

Status
Not open for further replies.

kf4uuz

The 8200Mk3 is definitely a class act. IMHO it is a great receiver.
Forget about monitoring trunking systems on it.
Other than that I still give it five stars.

awattam

It doesn't even decode CTCSS tones without an additional and expensive add-on. I believe if you spend the extra $300 you can get it modified by AOR to decode these tones and P25 but for the $700+ price tag one would expect to get all this included.

eorange

♦Insane Asylum Premium Member♦
The 8200mk3 is a great all-band, all-mode receiver. Sensitive, versatile, and more features than you will probably use. In fact, scanner manufacturers could take a cue from some of its features, like the scratchpad bank.

Pros: excellent receiver, thumbwheel control for manually scrolling through channels, nice display, and flexible bandscope. Really good SSB reception for a handheld. Includes a MW bar antenna which isn't half bad. Manual is very clear and step-by-step.

Cons: Weird memory bank setup (each bank of 100 freqs must be divided into 2 sections of 50/50, 60/40, 70/30, or 80/20 channels)

If you're disappointed that the MK3 doesn't have CTCSS/DCS, trunking, or P25 out of the box, then you're looking at that radio for all the wrong reasons. Use a scanner in your collection of radios for that.

A P25 (non trunking) upgrade is available, as are various plug-in cards.

I give it 5 stars too.

eorange

I think people buy it, expecting it to behave just like a scanner. Or they are turned off by the complexity of programming and using it. So then they sell it.

I personally don't think it's that complex, as long as you understand its design and operation. But compared to a HomePatrol or your GRE/Uniden traditional scanner - it's more involved.

trx680

I think people buy it, expecting it to behave just like a scanner. Or they are turned off by the complexity of programming and using it. So then they sell it.

I personally don't think it's that complex, as long as you understand its design and operation. But compared to a HomePatrol or your GRE/Uniden traditional scanner - it's more involved.

What do you mean when you say "expect it to behave like a scanner"?

eorange

It's the subtle differences between a "communications receiver" (i.e. the 8200mk3) and a "scanner".

In general...scanners:

- scan faster
- are typically easier to use
- have public safety related features (tone decode, P25, trunking)
- have good channel lockout features

Whereas receivers, while still having banks and channels and tags and scan ability, are more focused on the wideband receive aspect.

WB2KTG

All of your 2,4 GHz 802.11 channels can be heard. Google for the frequency ranges for each channel then Search for the center frequencies. It's just noise to our ears, but it's there.

Too big and too heavy to be a carry around scanner. Old technology. Was a top deal 15 years ago but not these days unless your sole interest lies in air band, broadcast and ham SSB and like have it parked in your radio shack with a decent antenna.

If the price was reduced 60% it may be vfm.

SCPD

QRT
Its actually decent on batteries and is very loud compared to the ICOM r20,just as easy to use if not easier.I had the AOR8200 version 1.It is decently sensitive ,scan is slow if you put high band then low band in the net slot.Its a receiver,not a scanner.It does airband good.Piece of cake to go up and down the bands or one frequency,the side buttons are too touchy to me.A Yupiteru 7100 or 9000 is a better unit.

jdobbs2001

AOR products are typically sold to Government agencies (ie 1000 dollar hammer) so your paying Government contract price.

You are better off with a handheld trunktracker.

prcguy

I suspect Government sales are only a small fraction of AOR equipment sold but then my personal 8200MK3 was originally purchased by the US Gov and has some extra useful features.

I have used handheld Alinco, Icom, Yaesu and Yupiteru communications receivers and my opinion is the AOR 8200MK3 is the best of the bunch. Its not a police scanner and requires reading the instruction book every once and awhile but it is a very capable receiver in a small package.

Don't expect it to perform like a large dedicated HF receiver and its probably too sensitive and prone to overload to use on a large home antenna. On the other hand it will pick up HF signals with a short length of wire that larger receivers cannot pick up.

I'm not sure the P25 upgrade is the right way to go since I now have lots of birdies that I don't remember having before the upgrade and battery life is definitely reduced.
prcguy

AOR products are typically sold to Government agencies (ie 1000 dollar hammer) so your paying Government contract price.

You are better off with a handheld trunktracker.

prcguy

My particular 8200MKIIIU-IR was from Radio Reconnaissance, unblocked with the selectable IR display lights. I also have the Flexmaster 300KHz to 3GHz antenna from the same company.
prcguy

The AOR radios have their place not everybody has a super duper trunked digital radio. You cannot even put them in the same category as a handheld scanner.

Radio Reconnaissance Technologies Inc

Like the HIDRAH the best now up to V3
http://www.radiorecon.com/img/system/HIDRAH -R2S2.pdf

David Kb7uns

Status
Not open for further replies.