AOR AR-DV1

Status
Not open for further replies.

Boatanchor

I'm in love!!!!

Can't find any info on which of the digital modes it handles, but IMHO it looks good. Reminds me
of a piece of Aeroflex or HP test gear.

Will look good on my shelf, if it does what it says it does (well) and it's < the value of one of my kidneys.

The restricted coverage range of up to 1300Mhz may (hopefully) keep the cost down to a reasonable level too.

VicradioZone

Premium Subscriber
There is some info on modes on the net 'somewhere'. I found it this morning. I'll see if I can scrounge it up for you, from memory NXDN, P25, dPMR, D-Star and DMR got a mention.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

VicradioZone

Premium Subscriber
Yes doesn't look great but I think I'd be happy to persevere with that if I could get my hands on unit that delivered the aforementioned modes.

I am wondering about the programming of this unit, no provision for cable at the front or the back end. It may just be card driven.
8y5e4aqe.jpg

zezeta4u.jpg

Last edited:

Boatanchor

According to the specs, it's also DIN size, so the same as the PSR600/996XT/536HP.
It's hard to put a bigger display in a DIN sized radio and still retain a keyboard. But it will be interesting to see what the final production model display is like.

The 'on paper' specs sound promising, but as always the proof of the pudding will be in the UI and audio quality.

Sadly, I note that it seems to miss out on Phase 2 and trunking support - Still!.
Why do Japanese manufacturers struggle with the whole trunking concept?

commscanaus

and it's < the value of one of my kidneys.

I am preparing to hold the mirror steady and start marking the incisions!!!

But seriously, the manufacturer that puts NXDN, TRBO, and dPMR into a receiver gets my money.
The amount of digital out in my local radio environment at this point in time would indicate that there is little to no analog equipment being sold anymore.
TRBO is just about everywhere now.

AOR equipment has it quirks, some you can live with, some make you wonder what they were thinking.
(AR-8200 backlight implementation for example).
This new receiver really looks nice (apart from the aforementioned 80's style display- totally agree) and hopefully will not be priced to the point of selling one's internal organs to buy it.

Anyone care to guess the price!
Probably not much change from USD$3000.

But a receiver supporting other digital modes besides P25 is long overdue.
And yes, the ease by which digital can be encrypted (ticking the box in the CPS etc....) is going to reduce the amount of listenable traffic.

I still want one!

Commscanaus

SCPD

QRT
Anyone care to guess the price! Probably not much change from USD$3000.

Well if it truly supports all of those digital modes (and does it well) then I'd probably guess around $5000. It could sell for $2500 but I'd be shocked if they didn't try for a higher price at first launch...

BTW, nice avatar commscanaus, I'm a big Robert McCall fan.

Boatanchor

You may be surprised re the price.. It depends on the target market, but based on the somewhat limited coverage (up to 1300Mhz), the DIN sized enclosure and the use of a BNC connector instead of N-Type, it certainly does not appear to be targeted toward Government/Military buyers.

So, moving right along .. :)

The AR8600Mk11 covers up to 3Ghz and costs ~$1k.
The ARD300, which I'm sure this receivers DV capability is based on, costs ~$800.

It really depends what inside the box. The specs say that it uses a direct conversion receiver from 100Khz - 18Mhz and heterodyne from 18Mhz to 1300Mhz, with a first IF of 1.705Ghz (most likely via a 1-2Mhz wide SAW filter). So, it appears that it uses a heterodyne/SDR architecture, which may also keep costs down by eliminating the need for expensive crystal filters.

Assuming (speculating) that the reduced coverage capability of the AR-DV1 offsets the units price a little and assuming this thing is actually aimed at the domestic/hobby market, I'm putting my money on a RRP of <$1500.

After all, who would pay more than $1500 for the AR-DV1, when you can buy an AR8600Mk11 + ARD300 for $1800?
Granted, the AR8600/ARD300 combination may not cover the same DV modes as the AR-DV1 at the moment, but I'm sure it would just be a case of a firmware update for the ARD300 to allow it to cover the same DV modes down the track.

I'd better start saving :)

Last edited:

Boatanchor

Utilizing a 1st IF at 1.7Ghz, followed by a direct conversion IF/receiver is interesting and maybe a prelude to the way all (good) wide band receivers will work from now on. If done properly, such a configuration should virtually eliminate any spurious image response from this receiver.

The Elephant in the room will be the dynamic range of the direct conversion receiver section, as this will impact on how well it handles really strong signals.

SCPD

QRT
Assuming (speculating) that the reduced coverage capability of the AR-DV1 offsets the units price a little and assuming this thing is actually aimed at the domestic/hobby market, I'm putting my money on a RRP of <$1500.

I think you're dreaming. If you look at the 5001D "professional desktop" model it is going for $4799 MSRP. It sells for over $4,000.

I don't think the DV1 will be anything less than $2500. MSRP will probably be around $3,000 but it wouldn't shock me in the least if it was upwards of $5,000

Boatanchor

I think you're dreaming. If you look at the 5001D "professional desktop" model it is going for $4799 MSRP. It sells for over $4,000.

I don't think the DV1 will be anything less than $2500. MSRP will probably be around $3,000 but it wouldn't shock me in the least if it was upwards of $5,000

With all due respect, I believe you are comparing apples with cumquats.

The AR5001D, AR Alpha and AR One, are professional grade monitoring/surveillance receivers aimed predominantly at Government agencies. They all provide coverage extending well above 3Ghz, contain multiple hardware filters and most likely have RF specifications that will exceed those of the AR-DV1, particularly in the dynamic range / very strong signal handling area. The AR5001D does not utilize BNC connectors for it's antenna inputs on the rear panel for good reason. The price of the AR5001D is high because it was a niche product, designed for Government agencies and was never going to sell large quantities of units into the Global domestic market, just like the Icom IC-R9500 etc.

I think you will find the AR-DV1 is AOR's attempt at breaking into the Global domestic 'scanner' market, by making a unit that can sell moderately large quantities into the hobbyists & amateur operator market. As such, I stand by my assertion that the AR-DV1 will need to be comparable, if not cheaper than AOR's own AR8600Mk11/ARD300 combo.

If AOR can incorporate basic trunking into this thing while maintaining a sub $1500 price tag, it could be a winner for the company.

Last edited:

prcguy

I tend to agree with Boatanchor with a probable street price around $1500 and a slightly higher retail price. The consumer grade AOR products are not cheap but also not at the performance level of their high end line like the Alpha.
prcguy

With all due respect, I believe you are comparing apples with cumquats.

The AR5001D, AR Alpha and AR One, are professional grade monitoring/surveillance receivers aimed predominantly at Government agencies. They all provide coverage extending well above 3Ghz, contain multiple hardware filters and most likely have RF specifications that will exceed those of the AR-DV1, particularly in the dynamic range / very strong signal handling area. The AR5001D does not utilize BNC connectors for it's antenna inputs on the rear panel for good reason. The price of the AR5001D is high because it was a niche product, designed for Government agencies and was never going to sell large quantities of units into the Global domestic market, just like the Icom IC-R9500 etc.

I think you will find the AR-DV1 is AOR's attempt at breaking into the Global domestic 'scanner' market, by making a unit that can sell moderately large quantities into the hobbyists & amateur operator market. As such, I stand by my assertion that the AR-DV1 will need to be comparable, if not cheaper than AOR's own AR8600Mk11/ARD300 combo.

If AOR can incorporate basic trunking into this thing while maintaining a sub $1500 price tag, it could be a winner for the company.

Boatanchor

According to the feature list, the receiver also includes 'untold story reversal' !!

I'm having issues getting my head around this feature set. Maybe it involves some kind of inter dimensional space / time travel mechanism that replays signals before they are even broadcast.

That feature alone must be worth a couple of K :)

SCPD

QRT
According to the feature list, the receiver also includes 'untold story reversal' !!

I'm having issues getting my head around this feature set. Maybe it involves some kind of inter dimensional space / time travel mechanism that replays signals before they are even broadcast.

That feature alone must be worth a couple of K :)

Well, you know Japanese engineers... they come up with the coolest things! :D

Status
Not open for further replies.