AOR 8200 battery time

Status
Not open for further replies.

TDR-94

With 2000mah AA batteries what is the typical number of hours of use one could expect from one of these, 8-10 hrs?

I currently own an Icom IC-R20 and have become interested in the AOR 8200 again.I would have purchased one yrs ago,but the price was just too high.Even today, already owning an IC-R20,I would only be interested in an 8200 if I could fine someone who wanted to trade for the R20.I just couldn't justify paying $600+ for another wideband receiver already owning a R20.I've heard people say the AOR is a battery hog.Is it really that bad? I must admit,the R20 is pretty good on batteries and it only uses 3 vs 4.I do a lot of MIL AIR scanning and don't like the idea of having to change batteries after only a few hours. I use 2000 mah eneloops with the Icom.

eorange

♦Insane Asylum Premium Member♦
I have an 8200mk3 and also use the 2000 mAh eneloops. I too read about it being a battery hog. Although I don't measure the life in hours...nothing about this receiver makes me think "battery hog". It feels about in the same ballpark as my other handhelds.

TDR-94

Well as long as it typically runs 8+ hrs or more on a single set of charged batteries,I guess that's not too bad. I get 12+ hrs with the R20.

mke65

I am with the previous poster.

Not enough difference to notice.

I have owned the r20 and it's a very nice radio. I want something for hf and minus the bells and whistles of the aor.

TDR-94

If the battery life between the 2 is very similar than that's a plus.With the AOR you can also tweak the battery save feature a little.

I owned an AOR AR8000 back in the 90's and loved it! I'm very familiar with the AOR layout when it comes to settings and programming I actually like the additional tweaking that can be done.I actually found the R20 layout more confusing to set and program initially.

Not having CTCSS( or no DPL capability at all) decoding built in isn't really a big deal for me.I'm also interesting in monitoring for digital signals, which with CTCSS tones set would block.Even though I wouldn't be able to decode any digital signals I would still like to know when it's being used..I can also just hook a digital voice recorder that I have right to the earphone jack on the AOR if I need to record anything, so no real loss there either.

Hopefully in the near future I'll find someone who would like to do an even swap for the R20 and I'll get a chance to run the 8200 through it's paces!

TDR-94

Does the 8200 make an audible low battery sound or is it just a visual one like the R20 were the battery indicator icon just flashes,but there is no audible alert?

Fast1eddie

TDR, it is a visual indicator but by the time you notice it, you'll already hear the audio deteriorate. WIth Eveready 2300 NiMh cells, I am seeing close to 9 hours.

Mike-KC8OWL

I have owned both the R20 and 8200 - I still own the 8200. The battery life was generally longer in the R20 but with some of the AA rechargeable cells available today the 8200 run time is good. It will depend on what you are listening to (how much time the squelch is open and a transmission is being received).

Status
Not open for further replies.