AR-One Problems

Status
Not open for further replies.

joczr2

Hi I am new at posting but have read tons of information on this site. I acquired an AR-One receiver and I'm not sure if I accidently pressed the wrong button or what. I treat it with respect as its cost is outrageous. Anyways, I cannot get anything out of the speaker but when you go to change the freq you hear a millisecond of sound. The speaker has no issues. I guess I screwed up buying it without having someone handy to fix it if it broke. I emailed the Aor guys and they said it sounds like the squelch is set to high. Well that was the first thing I checked. I've even done a factory reset several times. I do not want to waste my money as I have been really excited and having fun, for the first time in a while, with this amateur radio hobby. If anyone is able to help I will gladly pay or if you could point me to a shop that could fix it, not in Japan, I would sincerely appreciate it.

Thanks for listening.

John

SCPD

QRT
Hi John,

I don't have a One but had a 3000,5000 and 8600.

Is it muting in all modes?
Does it indicate correct signal strengths?

I would also look at other forms of squelch.
Does it have ctcss or other tone squelch engaged?
Or level operated squelch?

It is a quite sophisticated beast, so don't feel embarassed if you hit a wrong menu setting...

Paul
PD0PSB

Last edited:

danieldad

Hi John,
I've been fortune enough (& at the right place, at the right time) to acquire a few aor products, the aor one being one of them (& how I got it is quite a story).
When I received it, -quite unexpectedly, I thought it had been simply "thrown in" as a broken radio for parts. Once I got it going, I realized just how complicated it really is . There are multiple squelch settings, various tone squelch features, etc. I'd bet its something like that. I'd suggest getting a copy of the manual ( I'm pretty sure you can download it from the aor site, it's also available on the web), go through the manual's menu & squelch options. Then go into the sub menu and adjust all the settings to 'off' or cancel. Even though you performed resets, the sub menus generally remain in the setting they were in prior to a reset. Believe me, its a fantastic receiver, albeit a bit complicated. I use a discone at around 35', & hear everything in a 60-70 mile range; its great on mil air, & superb on HF for utility monitoring. But, there's a steep learning curve.
Check out the manual, check each setting, & I think you'll be ok.

joczr2

Thanks for your responses. Daniel you seem to know more than the guys that built it. I have exchanged emails several times with a guy at AOR in Japan. He said nothing about settings which now that I think about it I may have altered them. I will certainly check them out. I tried to find a PM so I could ask other questions. Basically I am new to Ham/scanners/radios.

Please don't laugh but I bought different types of antennas and I am having trouble hearing anything.
I bought a 1/4 UHF 800/900 MHz Antenna & MAXX-TENNA which claimed to receive signals from 27MHz to 1200MHz. I did pick up FM radio once.

I also bought the Kenwood tm-d710ge radio to mount in my truck but I cant get it to pick up anything on it either.

Like I said I am new to this but between two very expensive radios and the antennas I must be doing something wrong since it would be unlikely I purchase two defective radios.

Please help me understand what I need to do. I would certainly appreciate it.

danieldad

Hey there, John, -thanks for your compliment ... hopefully, you've had a little bit more success with your AOR One. I happened to be working on my shack, (which is in a state of revision, -yet again ... a never ending ordeal), & happened to get to my apr one. I messed around with some of the other settings that might be of issue in your situation. Not sure if I mentioned it previously, but heres the things that I'd check ( all menu driven, of course). RF gain-set to lowest setting, or turn off that function. Squelch-turned down , or off. Also, make sure its set to csq/ tone squelch off, so that you're not simply blocking out signals not prefixed by a particular tone. AF gain- has several settings (yeah, I know - a real pia, but nonetheless), & make sure you're set to "auto" the mode - or, if you want to specify the appropriate mode for the range your in (ie: 146-174 mhz fm, or fm-n; 108-136 mhz am, and so on). And, last of all, just double check your antenna-connections, & coax. I had a great hf rig, & fantastic antenna setup, but was s0 on the scale-couldn't hear a single thing. Everything was okay, setup wise, til I backtracked the coax, & found that "man's best friend"had chewed right through the rg 8 at the base of the mast, kinda hidden in the grass. Once I got things back in place, all fine and s-9. I'm still looking for the manual, & will forward it to you for your reference. 73 de Dan

joczr2

My mother had an old Baylor 15 transistor 6 band radio just to hear radio and weather. I remember this thing while growing up and never knew anything about it. I recently found it in storage and it still works. I mean this is very old school radio. What I am absolutely baffled at is it will pick up people talking foreign languages with a broken antenna and I can barely pick up an FM radio station on my AR-One an the same goes for the Kenwood TM-D710GE. I listed the antennas I purchased but am not successful with them. I even put the MAXX-TENNA on the old TV antenna so it would be high up and we lived on a hill so I don't get it...no reception. Tonight we have had tornados all across my area and I though surely I could pick up the NOAA 162.4 MHz station but nope.

I really need some advise on what I'm doing or not doing. Is there a website site for Dummies? Everything I read about the AR-One says its top of the line. I could understand maybe something is wrong with the AR but if the Kenwood is doing the same thing then I'm doing something wrong. I ordered those antennas to hopefully put in my truck but I'm not drilling a hole in my roof unless I get the radios to work.

If you could help I would be in debt. Also thanks for the above help as I did go through the manual several times and got the sound back. Just need to fix reception now.

danieldad

AR ONE issues

I've tried to pm you, so that I could try to help you out, -but your account states that you do not receive pm's. Please contact me via pm, so that I can provide you with my email, so that 'we' can try to work out the problems you're having with your AOR AR ONE. I'm sure that, --if we brain storm it, it'll all work out, and you'll be a very happy AR ONE owner.
Dave

joczr2

Hey. I apologize. I get an email saying someone replied to my post. I haven't logged on until I got the email that you posted. When will you be online again? I have a little more "data" to add to the problems. I'm sure its enough for you to help me diagnose. I do appreciate it and if I don't talk with you before the I wish you and your family a wonderful Thanksgiving.

John

N8IAA

Hey. I apologize. I get an email saying someone replied to my post. I haven't logged on until I got the email that you posted. When will you be online again? I have a little more "data" to add to the problems. I'm sure its enough for you to help me diagnose. I do appreciate it and if I don't talk with you before the I wish you and your family a wonderful Thanksgiving.

John

John, what is it that you are trying to hear with the AR-One and the D710?
Both are pretty complicated radios. The AOR is a communications receiver, and the D710 is a ham radio transceiver.
Larry

joczr2

Hi Larry. I just want them to receive signals so I can hear them. I don't know if its just the area I'm in, South MS, or what. Please remember I am very new to the radio hobby. At this time I just want to hear what's going on on the airways. Maybe later I will sit for the exam and talk with people but would just rather listen now.

I mentioned above the type of antennas I have tried to use. I had mention also that I was having problems with the AOR ONE functionality and that it quit making any sound but it has since somehow corrected itself. So the problem I'm having now is I attach the antennas to both radios and I can never pick up anything other than normal FM radio on the AOR and nothing on the Kenwood...the kenwood doesn't scan in the 88-108 range but AOR does. I have programmed the AOR according to the manual...so for instance the 400-500 MHz range or any other range it will scan and scan and never pick up a signal. Same with the Kenwood. Now something new is, I purchased the Unidem digital scanner and it picks up a couple of things here in the house but when I took it with me on the road it was working awesome. I think maybe these are mobile antennas and they don't work too well inside of the house. I see that most people have larger antennas on the outside. Do you think an upgrade of an outside antenna and maybe an amplifier would be a good idea? Hope everyone has a great thanksgiving.

danieldad

Hey there, John.
Hoping that you and your family are well, & having a great holiday! - I'd like to be able to get in touch with you, so that we can try to brainstorm this ar one situation as you are sitting in front of it. Your bio says that you don't accept ppm's, - so my email is : stewertrd181@yahoo.com. You can reach out to me, and I'll get back to you as quickly as possible.

N8IAA

Hi Larry. I just want them to receive signals so I can hear them. I don't know if its just the area I'm in, South MS, or what. Please remember I am very new to the radio hobby. At this time I just want to hear what's going on on the airways. Maybe later I will sit for the exam and talk with people but would just rather listen now.

I mentioned above the type of antennas I have tried to use. I had mention also that I was having problems with the AOR ONE functionality and that it quit making any sound but it has since somehow corrected itself. So the problem I'm having now is I attach the antennas to both radios and I can never pick up anything other than normal FM radio on the AOR and nothing on the Kenwood...the kenwood doesn't scan in the 88-108 range but AOR does. I have programmed the AOR according to the manual...so for instance the 400-500 MHz range or any other range it will scan and scan and never pick up a signal. Same with the Kenwood. Now something new is, I purchased the Unidem digital scanner and it picks up a couple of things here in the house but when I took it with me on the road it was working awesome. I think maybe these are mobile antennas and they don't work too well inside of the house. I see that most people have larger antennas on the outside. Do you think an upgrade of an outside antenna and maybe an amplifier would be a good idea? Hope everyone has a great thanksgiving.

Aluminum siding on the house? Brick? What exactly are you trying to hear and where? Definitely an outside antenna if you are having problems.
Larry

Status
Not open for further replies.