Aor or uniden?

Status
Not open for further replies.

wulf03

Local pawnshop has a ar8200. Just wondering for here in western nc if I should try one or just spend the money on a new uniden? Also has an old AR1000 for $50 but its got to be at least 20 years old. Any advice, some people seem to say Aor is the best receiver out there.

dkf435

Depends on what you are listening to.

Have both, Uniden for trunking and scanning AOR for aircraft,shortwave, searching and listening to wideband stuff.

David Kb7uns

Voyager

How much is the 8200? Does it have any option cards? Keep in mind it doesn't handle trunking, and doesn't decode P25. While the 8200 does have some unique features not found in other models, or at least options for such, no trunking would make it unacceptable for many people.

But, if it's only a couple hundred bucks, it might be worth the purchase.

wulf03

$275 and I haven't researched it yet. I did look on ebay and noticed most of the new AR units sell for $500 handheld and over $1000 for the base. Also noticed seller in Russia had one listed at over $3000. Newest 996hp uniden is around $700. Why the huge price difference? Do you get more range? and are you able to pick more ham and other shortwave?
Also just about everything here in NC is Viper and I belive it is p25, so definetly rules me out. Also will the older AR1000 be worth $50 for anything. It looks almost new, A lot of analog still around here and also cd and ham talk. Any reason for me to buy it?

kc2kth

AOR 8200 unless it's a mk II or III are a bit on the older side, don't know the 1000 off the top of my head. Uniden makes solid scanners, AOR makes fantastic receivers. Don't expect the Uniden to receive as well as the AOR as far as sensitivity and selectivity, don't expect the AOR a to be able to scan as fast or handle trunking or digital modes. AOR a does have an upgrade package for a few hundred bucks to add digital capability to the 8200 mk III and they are now selling a mk IIId with the upgrades included. Still for scanning trunked systems and common public services the Uniden is the better and cheaper option when comparing the two new.

KA2ZEY

Get the Uniden. As sexy as the AR8200 was when it first came out, it's actually very limited for modern day scanning.

invergordon

Of course there is so much you can still do with the AR8200 that a Uniden can't, such as HF monitoring, and depending on the Uniden model, UHF airband.

Where digital modes are not relevant I'd go for the AOR anytime, they're just so reliable and support is still very good.

US$275, man that's cheap!!

wulf03

When will AR-DV1 be in retail? Scanner master has it listed but no price? Any idea on what the price might be. Local LEO, FD and EMS are all MOTO so that receiver is exactly what I need.

kc2kth

I exchanged a couple of emails today with AOR USA. They confirmed that now there are no plans to release the 8200d in the US due to FCC regulations. They did say the option to send in a recent Mark III for the digital upgrade is still an option at a cost of $400. So $719 for a new Mark III then $400 for upgrades. Makes the Uniden seem like a fantastic bargain when looking for a simple scanner. I've said elsewhere a scanner and a $100 shortwave portable will save a lot of cash over the AOR option. When you are ready there are always AOR rigs or Icom r20s to be had both new and used.

wulf03

Went back to the pawn shop, 8200 was gone but did pick up the 1000 for $30. Tried it out and had static so I figure nothing wrong. After almost 3 days trying to figure it out, finally concluded the unit does not work. Went through all 1000 channels to unlock and still nothing. I tried few local channels and could pick up very little audio just static which could not be adjusted. So leads me to believe its not my fault but the radio's. Should have spent the $30 on batteries or at least a bit more modern scanner. Anyway lesson learned.

prcguy

I have a US Govt version of the 8200MKIII and got the P25 upgrade. The 8200 is good for searching around for new stuff and its a good performer on VHF/UHF air and works well for UHF satcom. It worked ok on HF but if it was my only HF receiver I would find another hobby.

I got the P25 upgrade when it first came out and recovered P25 audio is very good but the radio now has lots of birdies that were not there before, especially in the UHF T band where my local cops hang out. The battery life was ok before the upgrade and now I can tell its a bit worse.

If I had to do it over again I would not get the upgrade. The 8200MKIII use to be my go to receiver when traveling to discover new frequencies or playing with UHF satcom but now it just sits on the shelf and I use my old PRO96 for local P25 mode cops and some hamster handhelds for searching VHF/UHF bands.
prcguy

Status
Not open for further replies.