ARD300 Digital Decoder (TRBO color codes, group codes)

Status
Not open for further replies.

RayAir

Does anyone have any experience using the AOR ARD300?

I specifically want to know if it displays time slot in use, color code, and group code information when it receives a DMR signal.

Newest firmware for this device supports DMR tier 2.

Currently I'm scanning a Connect Plus system with a CS700 with a few known group IDs set in the radio and my results have been better than expected.

However, I know there are a few more users on the system and I would like to discover the group IDs.

I have played with SDRSharp a little but had a lot of problems with DSD from my home location.
I am not a fan of DSD or any software based solution currently available.

I don't mind spending the money for an ARD 300 as long as it will display slot, color and group info with the calls.

I am also awaiting response from an AOR rep.

Thank you

RayAir

Wouldn't you know it, I just heard from some and FYI it will not display any channel info, just voice.

I guess I will have to try setting up DSD or DMR Decode

DanRollman

Database Admin
Wouldn't you know it, I just heard from some and FYI it will not display any channel info, just voice.

I guess I will have to try setting up DSD or DMR Decode

I am in the same boat. I have been using DSD to identify MotoTRBO conventional, Connect Plus and Capacity Plus frequencies, slots, color codes and groups, and then program that information into my Connect Systems DMR handheld for much better sounding (and portable) receiving/scanning capabilities.

I agree with you that using a CS700 radio on a MotoTRBO system produces results that are better than I expected, but still not perfect of course.

Would love to be able to drop DSD out of the equation and have a radio that will both seek out and receive audio on DMR systems. AOR AR-DV1 looks promising.

Dan

RayAir

If CS ever gets their CS7000 launched I'm hoping it will have FPP because its supposed to be designed more for amateur use. Hopefully it will have expanded RX and not just 70cm.

It would really be nice if a DMR radio could have a "wildcard" setting for the group code and receive (and display) the TG.

I was really surprised the AOR ARD300 does not display talk groups. How are you supposed to know what you're decoding? Since it is an add on for a scanner I think its ignorant not to have a TG decoder. Especially if they charge $600+ for it.

Andy3

I just got an ARD300 for my birthday (my wife is very kind) and after struggling with farmyard noises etc with DSD/DSD+ it's like heaven. There's lots of DMR activity over here in the UK and I've also found some NXDR. No P25 so far, as we have TETRA over here.
The ARD does not show any data info, it just decodes the voice and (on dmr) it shows the two slots and what each one is carrying - voice or data, nothing more. On NXDR it shows 'radio number'.
I'm very impressed with it though. It does not use discriminator audio, it needs an IF feed at 10.7 MHz or 45.05 MHz from your receiver. On setup, you select from a menu of receivers (these are AOR types) and after that it takes acere of itself. It will work from other receivers as long as they have an IF output.

Regards from Andy, who today is Birthday Boy!

KD4YGG

Database Admin
Andy

Thanks for sharing. In case of data transmission does the unit stay muted?

Andy3

Yes, everything is muted except voice. Sometimes there is a very short burst of data while the decoder makes up its mind.

RayAir

I may still pick one up, but I'm waiting to see how much the DV-1 will go for.

In the meantime when I get back home next week I'm going to try running my 668 to DMR Decode. Or I'll attempt DSD+ again. I did get a USB receiver working with SDRSharp but I couldn't get DSD+ installed because it said I needed a lame_DLL? Which I guess is an MP3 encoder? The virtual audio cable was a PITA too. Plus I couldn't pull in a lot of TRBO channels with the stock crappy antenna.

That's why I'm going to use the 668 with a Watson Super gainer.

The new firmware for the ARD300 looks promising for "special applications" involving NXDN.

Andy3

Hi Ray.
I'm glad I'm not the only one who found DSD+ a bit confusing, what with lame-enc and some kind of virtual audio connection. I opted to use DSD+ with an external input from my AOR receiver's discriminator output, it made more sense that way! I got limited success, but it was very hit and miss. The ARD300 just sists there and works, although the price is a bit frightening.
There is a d-type socket on the rear of the ARD300, but no info is provided for ths, except that it can be used for firmware updates. It would be good if it could be configured to output data for a PC display.
Re NXDR - when I stumbled across two channels using this I thought I may have found something really interesting, but it turned out to be just a taxi company over in Liverpool!

Attachments

• Ext view small.jpg
    Ext view small.jpg
    145.4 KB · Views: 2,189
Last edited:

tom01

Andy what's the audio sound like compared to the DV-1 video posted here

tollway19

does anyone have any experience using the aor ard300?

I specifically want to know if it displays time slot in use, color code, and group code information when it receives a dmr signal.

Newest firmware for this device supports dmr tier 2.

Currently i'm scanning a connect plus system with a cs700 with a few known group ids set in the radio and my results have been better than expected.

However, i know there are a few more users on the system and i would like to discover the group ids.

I have played with sdrsharp a little but had a lot of problems with dsd from my home location.
I am not a fan of dsd or any software based solution currently available.

I don't mind spending the money for an ard 300 as long as it will display slot, color and group info with the calls.

I am also awaiting response from an aor rep.

Thank you
i have firmware 501 ard-300 drm shows slot1&*slot0 also +/-if
i also have another ard-300 that dosent have the upgrade
no drm and the nx is terrible e-mailed aor to find out how
to upgrade the 2nd ard 300 never returned the e-mail,called
aorusa told me that dmr was only in japan,i noticed the ar-dv1b
allready is wanting you to get a firmware upgrade on the ar-dv1b.

RayAir

I went to dsdplus.com and downloaded v1.073 and connected my pro668 to the line in. V1.073 has everything I needed .

Firmware 501 for the ard300 looks promising for some special NXDN applications but I haven't ran into a situation where I need it yet.

I've been sitting on a Nexedge 4800 control channel all day and only got a couple radio registrations, no voice.

There's a Con+ system by me with a huge amount of traffic, over 100 talk groups. I've been concentrating on that over the last few days.

I found another Con+ control channel but its fairly dead, only a couple private calls. This sys runs RAS so I can't scan it on my CS700.

I parked on an OpenSky (utility co) control channel for S&G just to see what would happen- not much, although it popped "voice" a few times but no audio.

Tried some AEGIS from my MRK Scan 2 also, nothing happened.

I just got in to digital decoding in late April.

Lots of fun.

Andy3

Andy what's the audio sound like compared to the DV-1 video posted here

Tom - It sounds very similar, but I don't get the data 'overhang' at the end of TX. I find there are differences in readability between users - some are quite clear, others sound a bit slurry and robotic. None of the audio is as clear as a good analogue signal.
Firmware 501 as supplied out of the box.

tom01

Thanks Andy, I was thinking of going for the DV1 when it goes on sale in the UK but i dont know about listening to the data at end of transmission every time. The ARD300 could also be an option? Whats the other formats sound like on receive? Forgot to ask can the ARD300 do 12.5khz NXDN? i heard the DV1 can only do 6.5khz
Whats your receiver you use with the ARD300?

Andy3

Hi again Tom.
NXDN is 6.25 only and it sounds fine, very much like DMR. So far the only other mode I've heard is plenty of DMR and on the amateur bands D-Star, which has a nice crisp, readable quality.
I'm using an AOR5001d, so the 300 just plugs up without fuss. Setup was a doddle, just select the RX type from the menu and off you go. I've got a brief write-up of the 300 appearing in the next ssue of Radio User which is due any day now.

RayAir

Tom - It sounds very similar, but I don't get the data 'overhang' at the end of TX. I find there are differences in readability between users - some are quite clear, others sound a bit slurry and robotic. None of the audio is as clear as a good analogue signal.
Firmware 501 as supplied out of the box.

Its probably just looking for voice frames and then hangs on the frequency once the TX is over because DMR has about a 2-3S end of message framing.

You can hear this if you listen to DMR repeaters on an analog scanner. You'll get the digital buzzing, then the sound pitch will increase, that's the end of message (or other data, GPS?) that you're probably hearing.

slicerwizard

Its probably just looking for voice frames and then hangs on the frequency once the TX is over because DMR has about a 2-3S end of message framing.

You can hear this if you listen to DMR repeaters on an analog scanner. You'll get the digital buzzing, then the sound pitch will increase, that's the end of message (or other data, GPS?) that you're probably hearing.
It's the call hang time where the system is waiting for a user to reply. Since you're using DSD+, you should be able to see exactly what the repeater is broadcasting. I assume you know how to use the verbosity setting.

AA6IO

Premium Subscriber
Does anyone know if the ARD-300 will work with the IF output of the ICOM R-8500 without any major modifications? Has anyone used it with the R-8500 and AR8600 Mark II. I have both. I presume there is something similar in the AR-DV1 I have been posting about. Taka has a couple of the ARD-300s at AOR. I'm tempted to try one out on my AR8600.

Andy3

Steve - the manual states that it will work with any receiver that has a 10.7 MHz or 45.05 MHz IF out, but of course the level needs to be sufficient. It works with the AR8600 Mk2, but there are a few things to watch out for. Out of the box, the 10.7 MHz output of the 8600 only works on WFM. The ARD300 will work from this but may be upset by adjacent channels and also the search function may land slightly off- frequency.
To enable the 10.7 MHz IF in all modes, there are two soldered links to remove/make. Instruction are in the ARD300 manual.

Status
Not open for further replies.