AR8200D experiances?

Status
Not open for further replies.

dimaxxxl

Does anyone currently use the AR8200D (New model with p25 digital)? How do you like it and how does it stack up against other receivers you own?

freqseek

If you want it for P25, don't bother, it will disappoint you, Mine receives better than the AR8600 in UHF and higher, With the right antennas the lower bands work surprisingly good even on SSB. The D version add on options can only be used one at a time. I haven't connected to a computer or use Micro SD, so I have no remarks there. The voice inversion takes time to manually tune, the signal are usually to short and will take many key ups to manually decode. The CTCSS decoder works good if you don't need the other options on. If you don't need the extra add on, I would go with the MK3. The D version has no support in the US or Japan if known to be in US.

MarkWestin

First a disclaimer: I don't own the AR8200D but I do own the AR8200 MK3. The AR8200D can not trunk. It also can not decode P25 Phase 2. As far as I can tell here in the USA, the model is only available as an upgrade from AOR USA. This means you have to send in your USA model AR8200 MK3 and they modify it into a AR8200D. Part of the modification removes the "option slot" so none of the Option Cards can be used with the AR8200D. As I understand it, AOR USA won't upgrade an unblocked model, but I could be wrong about that. My AR8200 MK3 works very well but operates nothing like a scanner and has a steep learning curve.

Mark

dimaxxxl

Thanks for all the info. I have the opportunity to purchase the ar8200D model. From what I can see the ctcss and p25 deciding are built in and not on all separate cards. Is that correct or does the D model specifically have the interchangeable cards. I know aor won't mod an unblocked version but I don't need it modded if all the features are built in and come with the radio. I know it will only do phase 1 digital and won't trunk. I have numerous scanners and I'm looking to hear what there is beyond my unidens but it is important to have digital if I want to listen to a few local PDs when I have it with me and no scanner. The digital I listen to are phase one and only state police and one city here in eastern mass use trunking.

johnmblack

8200D

I have one. You don't need any of the expansion cards because they built all those options in, plus P25.

It's a bit odd to use because they added a switch on the side of the set and you have to push it a certain number of times to access those options. It gets easier with time.

No, it doesn't trunk. But my local sheriff's office only has three frequencies anyway, so i saved them to memory and scan them, and it works fine. Mine seems to receive P25 as well as the HomePatrol where I live.

John

digger1914

Premium Subscriber
I have one purchased in Australia. It can be purchased as is and does not require sending away for modification. It does receive the Government Radio Network here, but as stated above, it does not trunk track. It comes with an SD card to record and also has a mini USB connection as well.

I still like it, as it is a great receiver IMHO.

Status
Not open for further replies.