HF

Status
Not open for further replies.

radioshane

does anyone know if you can fix a tescun AN 06 wire antenna onto the mw bar antenna jack of the AR 8600?
as I am very interested in listening to HF

Fast1eddie

HF Antenna

Yes you can. Simply loosely wrap several turns around the dorsal fin as this will inductively couple signal to the external antenna (my name for AOR's external AM antenna), but I would not expect significant improvement. This is why.....The AOR's have excellent built in preamplification stages and the radio is purposely designed to perform well on relatively short wire or whip antennas. You would experience signal overloading and I doubt the activating the attenuator would be of much help.

Think you should experiment some and see what your results are. Start with a 15 foot wire strung as high as practical away from noise sources. You may need to orient the wire for effective noise reduction. Trim a little bit back while monitoring a decent signal-not a flame flowing powerhouse, but possibly a lower powered regional station. As you trim, pay attention to the signal quality. Ignore the signal strength bars, your ears are far better at determining the signal level versus noise. Even with zero bars, if the received signal is audible and understandably readable, then you have achieved your goal.

I am very impressed with the dorsal fin. My QTH is just outside Pittsburgh and frequently enjoy putzing around the AM broadcast band, although that is not my main interest.

Take your 8600 mobile and go to a electrically quiet rual area and see what you get. Always fun, just play nice and expect lots of looks.

I own both the 8200, 8600 and a 3000A and utilize them much for HF with a short indoor wire strung across the ceiling of my second floor apartment. The wire has a 9:1 balun (think it is 9:1) and runs about 20ish feet. Signal is fed into a active one input-four output Stridesberg coupler feeding several other radios. Utilizing the supplied external whip provides very good reception. External noise is the enemy here. If you can get a handle on that, your DX results will improve.

Hope this provides you with a good starting point. Drop me a line and let me know how you do.

Good SIgnals,

Ed N3KEX

radioshane

What is the dorsal fin ?
and does the tescun 680 perform good on HF with the an 06 that I mentioned ?

Status
Not open for further replies.