Ar-dv1 tuning knob, anyone else having problems?

Status
Not open for further replies.

dudekindjack

1st post, but been reading stuff about this radios since back in summer of 2015. I bought mine in late aug, but never got to play with it till 2nd week of september, fter reading people's reviews of it here.

About a week half or so ago, my tuning knob started acting all crazy.

For example, if I was listening to 97.1 mhz, and I decided I may wanna tune to 103.5 mhz to listen to another station, it would tune up frequency a little, then jump way down to 84 or 85 mhz. I can wiggle the tuning knob and it will jump several frequencys down. Has anyone else had any trouble with their tuning knob?

I've not tuned that much, mostly used it as a digital scanner. But have used it in vfo mode and tuned to listen to other stuff on the hf band.

I sent it in for repairs, can't wait to get it back. .

MStep

1st post, but been reading stuff about this radios since back in summer of 2015. I bought mine in late aug, but never got to play with it till 2nd week of september, fter reading people's reviews of it here.

For example, if I was listening to 97.1 mhz, and I decided I may wanna tune to 103.5 mhz to listen to another station, it would tune up frequency a little, then jump way down to 84 or 85 mhz. I can wiggle the tuning knob and it will jump several frequencys down. Has anyone else had any trouble with their tuning knob?

I've not tuned that much, mostly used it as a digital scanner. But have used it in vfo mode and tuned to listen to other stuff on the hf band.

Would be interested in knowing what the turn-around time will be like for you with your repair. Please keep us posted on how quickly and effectively the repair is done.

Also, before you shipped the unit back to AOR, just curious if you had attempted to do a full reset on the unit?

dudekindjack

No, i never did any kind of reset. Never thought anything about doing that.

Ill let everyone know what turnaround is. I got an export model, so i had to send overseas for repairs. May be a while im expecting. Aor america cant work on unblocked versions due to fcc rules is best i under stand.

MStep

No, i never did any kind of reset. Never thought anything about doing that.

Ill let everyone know what turnaround is. I got an export model, so i had to send overseas for repairs. May be a while im expecting. Aor america cant work on unblocked versions due to fcc rules is best i under stand.

I'm surprised that you advised that AOR America cannot work on unblocked versions. That could be a very important consideration for anyone getting the receiver. Where did you get that information from?

EricCottrell

Premium Subscriber
Hello,

I am not surprised since many camera and electronics manufacturers will only honor a warranty in the US on goods with a US Warranty. That is the price you pay for going export or "grey market".

I bought a radio a couple of years ago where the seller said he sent the unblocked radio in for warranty repair and got another blocked radio in exchange. So you are taking a chance even if you could send it in.

AOR is being careful. They are the manufacturer and cannot be seen trying to skirt the FCC regulations.

73 Eric

MStep

Hello,

I am not surprised since many camera and electronics manufacturers will only honor a warranty in the US on goods with a US Warranty. That is the price you pay for going export or "grey market".

I bought a radio a couple of years ago where the seller said he sent the unblocked radio in for warranty repair and got another blocked radio in exchange. So you are taking a chance even if you could send it in.

AOR is being careful. They are the manufacturer and cannot be seen trying to skirt the FCC regulations.

73 Eric
Good catch on that from the warranty page information Eric. Specifically stated on their page:

"To comply current FCC regulations, we will not repair any receivers bought from outside the US (thus Cellular frequencies unblocked). In case of repair, please contact the seller for assistance."

:

MStep

Confirmation From AOR

As far as us hobbyists are concerned, AOR has confirmed that they cannot service any product, including the DV1, that has unblocked cellular frequencies, at their facility in Torrance, California.

This includes products which may have been purchased here in the United States through companies like Amazon, which often act to distribute for third parties.

So persons interested in the DV1 here in the United States should make sure that they are on firm footing with a good warranty by making sure they buy from an authorized United States distributor.

I'll be ready to share more information with my friends here on the Radio Reference forums in a few days regarding my own situation. I like the radio very much, but I have to do some scrambling over the next week or two to see if I can get up and running with another unit which is covered with the proper warranty.

dudekindjack

MStep, do you have send one back for repairs also? Just out curiosity, whats going wrong with your radio? Like you, i loved my ar-dv1, i miss having it here.

MStep

MStep, do you have send one back for repairs also? Just out curiosity, whats going wrong with your radio? Like you, i loved my ar-dv1, i miss having it here.

No, I did not have to send one back. I am just concerned about the warranty policy on those units that have the cellular unblocked. You had to send your unit back to Japan? Was that expensive to send? Where did you get your unit from and you will also have to let me know how long it takes for them to repair it.

Thanks.

MStep

Got mine from a seller on ebay, sent back to hong kong, all they wanted was radio, no sd card, antenna, book, or power supply. Costed me about $68 to send .

Hong Kong. That's interesting. Let me know how long it takes to get back. Hope you get it back soon--- I know it's a fun radio to play with.

KeithKenobi

Premium Subscriber
Does the Unblocked version decode CDMA etc? IE all the Cellular phone digital types? The DV1 would be the radio to do it, and I don't think it does. So why is the block in the US still needed?

MStep

Apparently, just having access to the frequencies is the first step in being able to receive those signals. Yet there are plenty of used high-end receivers that are pre-reg that are still floating around out there, and it would seem that getting an unblocked DV1 in the U.S. is pretty easy, as long as you are willing to forgo any dependable warranty service.

MStep

Any update on your DV1 and repairs dudindjack? Have you received the unit back yet, or if not, at least some acknowledgement that it was received and being repaired?

MStep

Not got it back yet, it made it to where it was going last week. Ive not heard anything on repairs or shipping back. Hope i do soon, i miss my ar-dv1

Hi dudeindjack---- it's been about as month since your last update--- any progress on getting your radio back yet? For the folks following this thread, can you please let us know the exact date that you sent your radio back to Hong Kong for repairs?

I know how much you must miss your DV1. My recollection is that you purchased it on Amazon through a third-party seller. Have you received any written confirmation or information about the cause for the delay? Have you contacted Amazon to see if they can intervene on your behalf?

dudekindjack

Still nothing yet. Waiting to hear something, either email or something. I wish they would let me know something soon . Sent it out janurary 26th , it got there little over a week later.

dudekindjack

April 8th, still not got it back, no emails back after emailing to check to see if I could get a estimate when I may get it back. Just a small update to those who may buy an export unblocked version here in the united states , and has to have it sent for repairs overseas. I sent it Jan 26 2016, it arrived there bout a week later according to tracking number. Hopefully soon. I miss my aor ar-dv1

Status
Not open for further replies.