Can the AR-DV1 skip past data bursts?

Status
Not open for further replies.

wbswetnam

I use a tapped scanner and DSD+ to monitor several local police and sheriffs departments that have gone to DMR. The biggest problem that I have had with this method is that the scanner locks onto the frequent data bursts as well as the voice data. Two agencies in particular have a burst of DMR data every 5 to 10 seconds which can really inhibit monitoring.

Here's my question: Can the AOR AR-DV1 be set to only decode voice channel data, or does it also lock onto every data burst with no option of skipping past it automatically?

MStep

I use a tapped scanner and DSD+ to monitor several local police and sheriffs departments that have gone to DMR. The biggest problem that I have had with this method is that the scanner locks onto the frequent data bursts as well as the voice data. Two agencies in particular have a burst of DMR data every 5 to 10 seconds which can really inhibit monitoring.

Here's my question: Can the AOR AR-DV1 be set to only decode voice channel data, or does it also lock onto every data burst with no option of skipping past it automatically?

From my brief experience with the DV1, there is currently no way to ignore those brief data bursts. Perhaps some future firmware revision will incorporate a feature to overlook them, but then again, we get back to the original "mission" of the DV1--- it is really a high-specialized digital receiver with some cursory scanning functions. So when you speak about "skipping past" these data burst automatically, you are more in the realm of scanner function vs. receiver function. And while there have been improvements in the scan (and search) functions of the DV1, particularly with regard to speed, the "art" of scanning is not the main thrust of this receiver.

wbswetnam

Thanks, that answers my question. And since DSD+ is a slave to the data being sent to it by the scanner, there's no way that it can dodge the data bursts, either. Oh well, it's better than not hearing the cops at all, which is how it was until I got DSD+.

ramal121

Lots and lots of watts
Premium Subscriber
There are two ways this works. First is the "Auto" detect mode and it's been foremost choice since I got the thing just 'cuz it's damn interesting to see what's out there. Auto scans (or searches) in analog FM with a fixed bandwidth. If it stops on a busy freq and if it's analog, voice comes out just fine. If the signal is digital, the decode section is going full blazes trying to match the data with what it is programmed to decode. Usually with a good signal it will start decoding in a couple of hundred milliseconds I'm guessing. On a poor signal you will hear a longer data buzz until it finally syncs and decodes. Sometimes the data is not in the DV1's library (ie pocsag, scada, rdlap, etc) and the entire transmission is heard as a buzzsaw but I know the radio is working its butt off trying to figure out what it is. Still blows me away how this box can figure stuff out as fast as it does.

The other side is when you select a data format (other than auto). It will stop on an active channel trying to decode and if it is anything other than voice data (ie a control channel) it will plain stop with the speaker muted and nothing is heard. You have to pay attention. Bumping the dial will get it going again, only to stop on the next go-around. Use of the pass key (which is pretty extensive) will lock these out for the session. Also selecting the right resume method helps to keep the search (or scan) going.

Although not a trunk tracking radio, I'm having a ball sniffing out channels to see what's there. Maybe someday I'll try to categorize them into their respective systems but heck, I'd rather sit on the patio with a beer.

Status
Not open for further replies.