Thanks

3 months to write, 3 years off my life LOL

Attachments

• ARDV1_CAT_CONTROL _PROGRAM.pdf
    427.2 KB · Views: 1,526
Last edited:

marlbrook

Premium Subscriber
Hi, added an attachment of the Instructions (pdf). You may find them interesting. Some screen shots at the end

MStep

Hi, added an attachment of the Instructions (pdf). You may find them interesting. Some screen shots at the end

Very nice. I know what your mean when you said three months to write and three years off your life. I did similar work, albeit many years ago. This is what they call a true "labor of love".

marlbrook

Premium Subscriber
Nice! Can you use it to program the memories, and if so, what fields? Thanks!
Yes you can program the memories. You have pretty much full control over them.

Download the .pdf file above and look at the last page.

The buttons on the left control all the things you can do with a Memory Channel.

The 'Try Before You Buy' prog is fully functional, but with a 2 memory / search bank
limitation

drdiesel1

Reading your .pdf doc, I see I'm not the only one that has experienced the Pass firmware bugs while in Search!

Have you reported these to the AOR?

marlbrook

Premium Subscriber
The program does set / remove Pass references, but because of the 'bug' you may need to click the button more than once as things stand now.

The program sends all the correct codes, so (if) AOR correct the problem, the program will respond accordingly, and only one click will be needed.

It is much easier to deal with 'PASS' control using the program, than by doing it on the receiver, as it just needs mouse clicks on the Pass button.

I believe AOR know about this. The problem is when they send out new firmware they rarely (if ever) describe any changes they have made re. computer control.

As it states in the .pdf file, there are still a few firmware anomalies, but the program copes with these, and the program is designed not only to 'work around' them, but also to respond correctly after AOR fix them.

In almost every case the user will not even be aware that any firmware bugs exist.

marlbrook

Premium Subscriber
DELAYS and Website Info

Despite answering questions here almost straight away, I keep getting a message stating my first 4 posts need to be vetted by a moderator, and may be delayed up to 24 hours, even though I passed the 4 message barrier a few posts ago. I did get in touch with a Moderator who tells me no such limitation (message) exists (lol), so I guess that means I am lying (sigh).

Anyway, I am trying again now.

There is a website re. the program (with a YouTube video on it), at
ardv1

Last edited:

fxdscon

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Premium Subscriber
Despite answering questions here almost straight away, I keep getting a message stating my first 4 posts need to be vetted by a moderator, and may be delayed up to 24 hours, even though I passed the 4 message barrier a few posts ago. I did get in touch with a Moderator who tells me no such limitation (message) exists (lol), so I guess that means I am lying (sigh).

Welcome to RR. I'm sure you'll be fine shortly.... this forum uses a very effective (and VERY necessary) spam blocking routine for the benefit of all.

A quote from the "Attention all new members" post - that was probably updated since the message was written that says 4 posts:

Currently we are not disclosing the number of posts that need approval before the account is upgraded to normal status, which enables the above features.
At this link:

http://forums.radioreference.com/forum-rules-guidelines/304708-attention-all-new-members.html

marlbrook

Premium Subscriber
So was I not really seeing that message, just imagining it?

The thing is resolved now. The message no longer appears. Either I imagined the message on the 7 times it appeared after I tried to post, or you are mistaken (or of course as I said I was lying? (lol).

The message I saw (perhaps only in my mind) stated that for the first 4 posts all messages had to be viewed by a moderator, which could take up to 24 hours.

I am not disputing the validity of the process, just got a bit fed up when after 7 posts it still kept appearing.

If i really did imagine it, I need to speak to a psychiatrist, so PLEASE let me know a definitive answer.

Joking aside, the site software does display that message, no doubt for very good reasons, but it fails to stop showing the message even after the 4 message limit is reached.

Do you really not believe me?

marlbrook

Premium Subscriber
Missing Message

QUOTE:-
Hi-- can you give me a good link to download the program? The site listed on your web page points to page where uploads are done. Can you give me a good page when I can download the program.
-----------------
I just received an email from the Forum which included the above message, but I can find no trace of it here?

I have amended the Site. You just need to click on the 'TRY ME' button and it will take you to the download link, Cheers

Last edited:

MStep

QUOTE:-
Hi-- can you give me a good link to download the program? The site listed on your web page points to page where uploads are done. Can you give me a good page when I can download the program.
-----------------
I just received an email from the Forum which included the above message, but I can find no trace of it here?

There are TWO lines to the link. You need to cut and paste both lines into your Browser. If you just do the first line it takes you to the Upload page, but the full link will take you to the program, Cheers

I deleted the message after I experimented with your link a bit and was able to get the program to download. I did set it up on one of my computers, but as per your instructions, it did not run because it was not hooked up to a radio.

If I borrow my friend's DV1 this weekend, I will follow your directions in order to get it working. I can see from your videos and your pdf file that you put quite a bit of work into the program.

Good luck in your endeavor.

marlbrook

Premium Subscriber
Thanks

I never intended to write the program. When I first looked at the Butel Site it showed a picture at the bottom of what appeared to be 'real time' computer control. I downloaded the demo, but that part did not exist. I tried again with their next version with the same result and realised they had removed the picture (although the empty frame was still visible (as it is as of today).

So I started to write a program which did control the receiver. I quickly realised why anyone would give up in despair (sigh), but it is not in my nature to give up. After working 12 to 14 hours a day (with no time off for good behaviour), after 2 months I had a good working prototype, and it dawned on me that it really was pretty good, so I set about adding functions I would not have needed just for me, and making it look good too.

Well after another month, and a lot of heartache / despair it was ready.

So I decided to offer it for sale, partly because it was a labour of love, partly because the AR-DV1 deserved a really neat program to control it, and of course partly to see if I could recoup some of my lost life.

Controlling the AR-DV1 from the PC is quite an experience, so much easier than clicking lots of buttons on the radio.

I reckon if I sell 100 copies that will work out at about a penny an hour considering the time I put into it lol.

Adding the Descrambler functions was a challenge. Almost impossible to do anything with them from the receiver itself, with so many combinations, menus, and buttons. My program has sliders to cope with all of that for both Analogue and Digital modes.

The final thing I did was add full control over entering, viewing, and manipulating Memory Channels. It really is so simple to do this with my program (I hope you agree).

I really look forward to hearing from you after you manage to use the Demo. There is very little the program does not do. I made a decision NOT to include writing to the Memory card, as it would have been too easy for that to cause problems for the user. I have followed your posts carefully over the last few months, and they are excellent.

AA6IO

Premium Subscriber
Can someone post a download link for this software. Marlbrook, thank you for your great effort. I will purchase the program and use it with my AR-DVI here in Los Angeles. BUTEL had something like this in their beta version, but don't see it now. Looking forward to trying this new software.

n2pqq

Premium Subscriber
can someone post a download link for this software. Marlbrook, thank you for your great effort. I will purchase the program and use it with my ar-dvi here in los angeles. Butel had something like this in their beta version, but don't see it now. Looking forward to trying this new software.

see post number 10

AA6IO

Premium Subscriber
Saw download link in post #10. As I tried to download trial, my virus software NOD32 blocked this. Tried to load on computer with AVG antivirus. Similar behavior. All kinds of JAVA updates attempted to load at same time. I am very wary of JAVA itself and have had problems with viruses.
Never experienced this kind of behavior with Butel or Sentinel software. I am sure the software is great, but I will wait until others have downloaded, used, and reported on their experience.

marlbrook

Premium Subscriber
Very important - software needs update

I wont go into details, but there is a problem sometimes when the program is first run, and finding/entering the Com Port used by the AR-DV1.

PLEASE DO NOT DOWNLOAD THE CURRENT VERSIONS.

I will have it fixed within 24 hours, and post here when it is done.

I am SO sorry if this has caused any disappointment.