RadioReference on Facebook   RadioReference on Twitter   RadioReference Blog

Go Back   The RadioReference.com Forums > Scanners, Receivers and Related Equipment Forums > AOR Receivers

AOR Receivers - A forum for the discussion of all AOR scanning radios and receivers.

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old 06-18-2017, 7:13 AM
  Premium Subscriber
Premium Subscriber

Default *****very important discovery*****

I have recently discovered that there are variations of 'restricted' AR-DV1's, which deal with the restrictions in different ways.

eSPYonARD has to regularly check many things in order to keep its screen display updated.

Two of those involve interrogating the Radio regarding 'de-scrambler' settings.

Many restricted AR-DV1's accept those commands, and send out the replies as per AOR's manual. I know that to be true because I have lots of Customers who I am in contact with, using the U.S. Radio.

However some restricted Radios do not. They either send no replies, or non documented ones.

That will cause problems with the program, as it checks and re-sends commands if the AR-DV1 does not reply as documented.

There was no way of knowing this anomaly existed, especially as so many 'restricted' AR-DV1's worked with no problem. Thank goodness a new User contacted me just a week ago, and because of that it became apparent, and it could be corrected.

When I became aware of this I incorporated a 'checking routine' which can identify when certain AR-DV1's experience this anomaly, and once identified the program no longer calls those routines, thus eliminating the problem.

NOT as simple as it sounds as AOR provide no way of distinguishing between different AR-DV1 variations.

This 'fix' will be in the new update v.60007-007, and a LOT of other new things too.
Sponsored links
Old 06-18-2017, 5:22 PM
  Premium Subscriber
Premium Subscriber
Amateur Radio Operator
Amateur Radio

Default new eSPYonARD_vi user

A big thanks goes to Jeff for all his help (many hours) getting the software to run on my PC,
I really appreciate it Jeff. Keep up the good work on this fabulous software for my
AR-DV1
Old 06-18-2017, 7:09 PM
  Premium Subscriber
Premium Subscriber

Default Thanks

Quote:
Originally Posted by W0BIZ View Post
A big thanks goes to Jeff for all his help (many hours) getting the software to run on my PC,
I really appreciate it Jeff. Keep up the good work on this fabulous software for my
AR-DV1
Many thanks for this post, and if you had not contacted me I would not have discovered the anomaly about some of the 'restricted' AR-DV1's, and worked out a definitive 'fix'.

To misquote 'Animal Farm', I am still surprised that "some AR-DV1's are more equal than others", lol,

As I mentioned in the post above, since I knew lots of U.S. AR-DV1's worked fine with eSPYonARD as it was, this might never have come to light.

The time we took was well spent, and will no doubt be of benefit to others.

You already have a late BETA of the yet to be released v.60007-007', but if anyone with restricted versions of the Radio had problems running eSPYonARD due to this matter, it is neatly and definitely fixed in the next update.

Cheers
Old 06-27-2017, 5:11 AM
  Premium Subscriber
Premium Subscriber

Default '007 - final testing

The (hopefully final revision) of v.60007-007 went out to my intrepid band of BETA testers this morning.

Too many things to document here,but another big and (I trust) useful update, including extra functions requested by Customers For those of you interested in recording and playing back Audio files on the SD Card, and logging Audio during ordinary or 'Q' scans or searches with instant selection from eSPYonARD logs, even more 'goodies'.

As usual, please refer any technical questions or requests to me via an email (Icon at www.espyonard.com).

If all goes well the new version will be uploaded within a few days, and I will post here when that happens of course.

Cheers
Old 07-13-2017, 3:20 AM
  Premium Subscriber
Premium Subscriber

Default 6.0007-007 Update News

Unexpected delay in posting '007'

A new customer uses Multiple Monitors, and the program is not displaying all its windows at the correct width.

Problem is easy to diagnose. The re-sizing ability of eSPYonARD reads the screen width of the Monitor it believes it is being displayed on exclusively, and uses that for the width calculations.

If multiple monitors are used Windows tells the program that it is being displayed on a screen of twice the actual width (or more),.

I understand that this can happen with lots of programs, but I am spending a few days experimenting to see if I can produce a suitable 'fix', and might as well see if it can be found and incorporated into the next update.

The program displays correctly on single monitor systems.

As a positive by-product I have added code so that the last window size choice is remembered, so Users who prefer a larger eSPYonARD display will no longer have to re-set it each time the program loads.

As usual, making changes does mean going back to square one of the testing process, but hopefully '007' will be available very soon, and it has a lot of new goodies.
Sponsored links
Old 07-14-2017, 5:44 AM
  Premium Subscriber
Premium Subscriber

Default V.60007-007 - with relaxed time limitations in trial

Just uploaded '007' to www.espyonard.com

A special update, with lots of new goodies, all documented in the Manual's CHANGES LOG, which is available once the program is downloaded.

The Trial never expires, as before, however I have relaxed the timing limitations in the Trial considerably, much longer try out time before the program closes down, and a shorter wait until re-start.

My very excellent team of BETA testers and I have undergone extensive testing, however particularly with so many new things added there may be some Gremlins that have escaped our notice.

Hopefully not, but if you do have any problems, or requests then please email me via the Icons at the Web-Site, as Forum threads are not the place to sort out technical queries that may involve a lot of messaging.
Old 07-17-2017, 2:51 AM
  Premium Subscriber
Premium Subscriber

Default Available Now

There were Web-Site problems over the weekend, which meant the new update could not be downloaded.

They seem to be fixed now.

I was recently made aware that when the program was started on some P.C.'s with high resolution screens, the initial window sizes of some functions were incorrect, but were resolved if the program was re-sized.

Nobody had reported this to me until a few days ago, and I could not reproduce it on any of my P.C.'s, however this should now be fixed. Since none of my BETA testers found this happening then I must assume it was peculiar to a few machines.

The User interfaces are simple, mainly button or list operated, but beneath that there is a lot of very intricate coding, of which window re-sizing is probably the most complex as there are so many parameters involved.

This does raise an important though. This thread has been receiving around 2000 views per month, and I imagine a lot are from Members who are using, or have only used the Trial software.

Nobody can guarantee that a program will always behave as intended on every Computer. There are just too many different hardware and software combinations out there.

Any version of the program is always tested for weeks before release, on many P.C.'s, and by different people.

If anyone finds a Gremlin when using eSPYonARD on their computer, unless you email me (Icons at www.espyonard.com) then I obviously will not be aware of it, and I cannot correct something I do not know about.

Hope you enjoy the latest update, and its new features.
Old 07-19-2017, 7:26 AM
  Premium Subscriber
Premium Subscriber

Default In the pipeline

I have been aware for over a year that the program did not address two functions that the AR-DV1 has available, although to my knowledge most if not all of the others.

Those were combining saved Search and Program Banks during a search or scan. Both can be very useful on occasion.

e.g. telling the Radio to use Banks 01, 03 , and 05 during a Search /Scan, and jumping to the next one in turn.

I had looked at this on a few occasions, but to be honest the descriptions in the AOR Manual were too sparse for me to make enough sense out of them.

In response to a Customer request a few days ago, I looked again.

One of my main reservations about trying to include those two functions in eSPYonARD was finding a way that was really USER friendly. Activating them on the Radio is complicated, when clicking buttons. From the very beginning I tried to ensure any of the many functions the program has are controlled simply by mouse clicks or selecting from lists, wherever possible.

It took several days, and a lot of 'beneath the surface'; complex coding, but I am really pleased to report the program (in the next update) will include them, plus it could not be easier for the User to operate.

All you need to do is hold down the CTRL key on your keyboard, and select as many pre-programmed AR-DV1 BANKS you wish with the mouse, in the Bank Lists which as you may know also includes TAGS for each entry.

The program does the rest. As before clicking a single item will result in just that Bank being called.

As a bonus, this also works for 'Q-Searches', so you can select multiple Banks and 'Q' will create logs of what it finds on all of them, including audio samples if selected.

Only two new functions you might think? However not only very useful ones that required a lot of lateral thinking, and even more work, but also the User being able to apply them so simply and quickly.

Lots more testing to do (again), and some refining no doubt, but once again another useful update is in the pipeline.