ARDV1 REMOTE CONTROL incl AUDIO using WiFi

Status
Not open for further replies.

marlbrook

Premium Subscriber
Lots of viewers to my thread, but not really a lot of posts.

IS ANYONE INTERESTED IN REMOTE CONTROL OF THE AR-DV1???

Not a pipe-dream, I am controlling the whole thing now from my Android Tablet, looking at my program's on the Tablet's screen, just tapping to control the buttons AND with AUDIO too.

It is totally FREE using your home WiFi.

In addition, I can do it on my mobile phone, any time I want.

I won't bother to post details unless people say they want me to, HERE, on this thread.

If I get enough interest I will do a YouTube video showing it in action.

It took me, from scratch, just 10 minutes to get it all working.

Unless I get a lot of replies then it is not worth me spending the time posting how it is done.

drdiesel1

I'm interested in remote control, but can you further explain? Does this mean DV1 connected to some host pc, then to Android via TCP?

marlbrook

Premium Subscriber
Remotely Controlling the AR-DV1

The AR-DV1 needs to be connected, in the normal way, to a PC (or Laptop) running Windows XP/7/8/10.

For AUDIO out to work, you just need to connect a standard stereo (3.5mm jack) audio cable from the front headphone socket on the radio, to an audio input socket on the same PC.

In the computer's settings you can select lo listen to that audio through the PC sound system.

BOTH PROGRAMS BELOW ARE TOTALLY FREE FOR USE ON YOUR OWN WIFI NETWORK

You install a program on the PC the AR-DV1 is connected to acts as a server (under your password control). During the setup process the security matters are sorted out, you just need to make sure you know your serial number (I created a very long and complicated one). You will need the password later.

Depending on which device or devices you want to use to view and control the receiver remotely, you just need to set that up next (really easy).

If it is another PC, then you download the 'slave' program. For any Android device, install the free APP from Playstore. I understand there is an APP for Iphones and Tablets, but that is not free. (I sort of like having control over my own devices, so I do not have any of those, anyway God clearly told Adam and Eve not to touch an Apple lol).

As you install this software you will be asked for the email address you selected as your User Name, and the password above.

Simple as that.

Turn on the AR-DV1. Get it up and running on the 'server' PC. Ideally place it in the middle of the screen. This gives you maximum room to enlarge the 'slave' devices screen if you feel you need to.

The 'server' PC and the Slave need to be connected to your home WiFi of course.

Now just run the program on say your Tablet or Phone. Tap the button on its screen which indicates the server is up and running, and your PC screen appears on your slave device, in high definition.

In the middle of the screen is my program. Tap on any of the buttons (or tap and hold to simulate a mouse-right click) and away you go.

After a short time you will start hearing the audio too. As much remote control of the AR-DV1 as my program allows (which is nearly everything now and will grow as more codes are released).

If you are using a slave device with a small screen you will probably want to zoom in on my program as it is now, to make the buttons bigger. The display is, as I said high definition, so you do net get a fuzzy picture of my prog, but a smashing sharp image, just like the one that appears on you own PC now.

I will discuss 3G/4G options much later. To use those it costs $17.99 a year (no money goes to me, that is to pay for the service the Remote Control company charge) This will no doubt also involve setting up your Router to allow the service to access the server PC), and you would require a good solid connection.

If there is sufficient interest, I may either modify, or create my program so that it is has a much larger display, enough to show it in full screen on a mobile phone in 'landscape' mode, which will make controlling the AR-DV1 even easier.

As I said before, this is not a 'wish for', it is a reality NOW. I have two PC's and monitors side by side now. As I type the 'slave' is connected via WiFi, and I am listening to, and controlling the receiver from it. Both displays are identical, and I have to keep reminding myself which is the server and which the slave.

On my Samsung tablet, exactly the same high quality display and audio, only difference being that I need to 'tap' the buttons with a finger to control the AR-DV1.

However I must say, due to the apparent lack of interest judging from the few replies on my other thread, that may not happen. Too much work.

I will make a decision soon as to whether to continue with the whole project. That will be very much influenced by what happens on this thread.

If few people are not really excited by the prospect of not only controlling their AR-DV1 from a PC, but also via remote control on all those devices, then obviously my commitment has been misplaced.

Well possums, its up to you. If you love the idea then POST something positive on THIS thread, or probably wave goodbye to my program and the whole idea.

All you need to do is post HERE with a 'Yes please' or similar., how long would that take? Of course if you really do not like the program or the remote control options then your 'silence' will answer my question once and for all.

Last edited:

marlbrook

Premium Subscriber
More to think about

Folks, so far it has taken over 1500 hours of very hard work to create the whole program, and because of my full commitment to it, and you, that is still rising.

This new and very exciting development regarding remotely controlling the AR-DV1 from so many devices is going to push that hours total up considerably.

If I create a version of the program especially designed for use with mobile phones, enhancing the touch screen experience, not only will I need to invest lots more hours, but I will have to pay more per month to host the new files.

I WILL ANSWER ALL YOUR GENERAL QUESTIONS about remote control here, but the detailed step-by-step guide will only be available to anyone who has purchased the CAT program.

I think any fair minded person will find that a reasonable decision on my part.

Don't forget to always check the website regularly and download/install the latest FREE version..

ardv1

I realise not all of you have an AR-DV1 yet, but you would not be looking on the Forum about it if you had no interest in it at all,

So far views but very few replies on this thread saying people are interested. Just a line or two is all I am asking for.

The future of the whole project is now in the balance, up to you!

(Perhaps 'the free version' is just too expensive for some? lol)

Last edited:

MStep

Folks, so far it has taken over 1500 hours of very hard work to create the whole program, and because of my full commitment to it, and you, that is still rising.

This new and very exciting development regarding remotely controlling the AR-DV1 from so many devices is going to push that hours total up considerably.

If I create a version of the program especially designed for use with mobile phones, enhancing the touch screen experience, not only will I need to invest lots more hours, but I will have to pay more per month to host the new files.

I WILL ANSWER ALL YOUR GENERAL QUESTIONS about remote control here, but the detailed step-by-step guide will only be available to anyone who has purchased the CAT program.

I think any fair minded person will find that a reasonable decision on my part.

Don't forget to always check the website regularly and download/install the latest FREE version..

ardv1

I realise not all of you have an AR-DV1 yet, but you would not be looking on the Forum about it if you had no interest in it at all,

So far views but very few replies on this thread saying people are interested. Just a line or two is all I am asking for.

The future of the whole project is now in the balance, up to you!

(Perhaps 'the free version' is just too expensive for some? lol)

I for one would be interested in remotely operating my DV1. I've been running your program now for a few days via the serial cable connected to one of my computer, and I can see some of the advantages of being able to run it either from every computer in the house which is on my network, or having access to it from a remote location, with audio of course.

But I did want to comment about the "lack of interest" that you mentioned in your post. Of course, we all realize that the DV1 is a highly specialized radio with hardly the quantity of units being sold in comparison with something like a Uniden. Perhaps government agencies are buying the DV1 (and other AOR products), but relatively speaking, I think the number of "common folk" that have the DV1 is pretty limited. At least so here in the United States--- perhaps there is better saturation in Europe and Asia.

But something else that I wanted to point out which I have noticed, and that is sparsity of people coming up here on the AOR forum and contributing to the threads. Even folks in Europe and Asia have access to the RR forums, and while some of the may not be English-speaking, I would have expected more of a response here about the radio in general. Not sure why we are not seeing that. I see that the threads here get a lot of views, but not many folks chiming in. Where is everybody ???

ramal121

Lots and lots of watts
Premium Subscriber
Jeff,

Sent you an email regarding my difficulties just getting the CAT program up and running. No need to bring that out here but hopefully it can be resolved.

The release of the DV1 had bugs and AOR has been responsive since its release to correct them and also add new features. As the product becomes more refined I can only see more people jumping on board with this amazing radio receiver. As with your program, you'll have to wait it out to R&D all the bug reports and make a smooth experience for the consumer. This includes the program itself, purchasing ease and support contact and documents. I think you're well into this and will continue to improve things. There are people that may become interested in what you are doing, but if they run into any difficulties will just give up with nary a word. Continue to fine tune things and offer a viable product and you may find your paycheck jumps up from a penny to say two cents an hour. Smoking deal.

AA6IO

Premium Subscriber
I have had difficulty even getting the trial version to work. I have used the driver application to install USB driver on my Windows 7 machine. Keeps saying "driver" ready to use, but no trace of the driver in the in my devices. Try to run program and all I get is Run-time error 8002. Invalid port number.

Steve

AA6IO

Premium Subscriber
Also tried to use the XP driver. Again, ran application, said finished, Silab ... driver ready to use. But no driver in device manager.

marlbrook

Premium Subscriber
COM PORT ISSUE

Also tried to use the XP driver. Again, ran application, said finished, Silab ... driver ready to use. But no driver in device manager.

Hi, first I know of 17 people who have installed the program straight away and everything worked. I myself have tested it on 8 different PC's, running various versions of Windows.

So far 3 people have had Com Port problems.

The first was because a RES code had been previously changed in the receiver, turning it off.

The program tries to fix this RES-CODE matter when it starts, but if it cannot run at all, it cannot do that.

Please power up the AR-DV1, when NOT connected to your PC.

Press 'F'. Press the '7' key. Use the UP/DOWN buttons and navigate to page 3 /4 RES.CODE.

Is that 'ON' (if not use the tuning knob to change the value).

Same again, navigate to page 2/4

The REMOTE.BPS setting should be 115200

If not change it.

REMEMBER TO PRESS THE ENTER BUTTON TO SAVE THE CHANGES.

Reconnect the receiver to the PC, try to run the program.

If it works, post here.

If NOT, please go to my website and email me so we can work through other things.

marlbrook

Premium Subscriber
Please look at post above

Jeff,

Sent you an email regarding my difficulties just getting the CAT program up and running. No need to bring that out here but hopefully it can be resolved.

The release of the DV1 had bugs and AOR has been responsive since its release to correct them and also add new features. As the product becomes more refined I can only see more people jumping on board with this amazing radio receiver. As with your program, you'll have to wait it out to R&D all the bug reports and make a smooth experience for the consumer. This includes the program itself, purchasing ease and support contact and documents. I think you're well into this and will continue to improve things. There are people that may become interested in what you are doing, but if they run into any difficulties will just give up with nary a word. Continue to fine tune things and offer a viable product and you may find your paycheck jumps up from a penny to say two cents an hour. Smoking deal.

I am communicating with you via email now.

I assumed you knew about checking the values the AR-DV1 has stored, but in case you do not, please try checking the two settings above, and letting me know the result via our emails.

There are 17 people using the software OK, to my knowledge as stated. I would estimate it is a 99% certainty that the problems are getting the AR-DV1 to communicate correctly with the PC. Not usually difficult, but when the gremlins strike, it can take time to find where the problem lies, as you well now.

AA6IO

Premium Subscriber
Jeff (hope name is right)
Now have driver installed on com port 36. The manual says when run program for first time, it will ask for comm port. When I run program, keep getting "run time error 8002, invalid port number." Where do I set port? I'm sure this is my operator error, but would like to get things going.
Thank you.
Steve

marlbrook

Premium Subscriber
Hi

Jeff (hope name is right)
Now have driver installed on com port 36. The manual says when run program for first time, it will ask for comm port. When I run program, keep getting "run time error 8002, invalid port number." Where do I set port? I'm sure this is my operator error, but would like to get things going.
Thank you.
Steve

Steve, can you please go to my website, click on the email Icon next to enquiries and send me an email. There are things we can try, but the Forum is not really the place for technical posts that may need several messages to solve.. I will be available for a few hours more today.

When we solve this, then I will post the result here.

AA6IO

Premium Subscriber
Jeff
I will be busy most of the day. I will go to your website and contact you by e-mail later this evening. No rush, but would like to get set up in next few days. Thank you very much.
Steve

marlbrook

Premium Subscriber
PLEASE READ

Jeff
I will be busy most of the day. I will go to your website and contact you by e-mail later this evening. No rush, but would like to get set up in next few days. Thank you very much.
Steve

Please hang fire on any more experimenting.

I have just written a small program to try to resolve the issue for the two people who have experienced it.

I will post v 5.029 in the next hour. That will include the file.

As you can understand, it is impossible for me to solve an issue with the program if I cannot reproduce it, and since a lot of people have not had the problem, that makes it more difficult.

The little program will automatically enter the Silicon driver port number into the programs Registry COMPORT slot.

Hopefully this will do the trick, and avoid any more tinkering.

MStep

Jeff
Steve

To Steve and all--- You might find the proper comm port number by checking the Windows Device Manager after you plug the USB cable into the radio, but before you actually boot the program. Or, if you are running the Butel software, look for the port that the Butel program is connecting to, then shut it down and run the Ash-By software and use the same port number. Just a couple of suggestions.

My Windows 10 puts up the UAC alert window and Avast likes to scan the program when I first install a new version. Thus far, I have installed almost all the updates of the program, and there is absolutely no problem with any virus, malware, or anything else.

Getting the program up and running the first few times is the biggest challenge. Everything has to be properly synced as per marlbrook's instructions regarding the settings of the radio. Once the program has been run a few times, it's fairly easy to get the hang of it.

Since Jeff (marlbrook) has incorporated some pretty nifty features that are unique to his program, including several which the radio does not do on its own, I find that I keep the program up and running most of the time, including when I am manually controlling the radio. The recently added ability with a single click on the "tuning knob" in the program to put the radio into full manual mode was a great innovation.

marlbrook

Premium Subscriber
More on remote control

A quick message to those who have contacted me about the Remote Control details.

For the last week or so I have been very busy adding DMR Color Codes, muting and Slot control, plus adding controls for P25 and NXDN 'RAN' and 'NAC' selection and muting.

Although they are now finished, I am now busy testing the CAT program, as adding these features has meant quite a bit of extra coding, which 'Sod's Law' dictates may have changed other features.

Please be patient. Completing the guide to Remote Control will be top of the list after that.

woodpecker

Why all the cryptic posts about wifi control, Splashtop or Teamviewer will do that or is that what you are using but just don't want to say?

marlbrook

Premium Subscriber
THANKS

Why all the cryptic posts about wifi control, Splashtop or Teamviewer will do that or is that what you are using but just don't want to say?

Actually no they are not, and yes there are, and have been lots of programs and apps that let you control a PC remotely.

I take it you have been remotely controlling an AR-DV1 for some time?

As you kindly point out, you consider many of my posts are cryptic, or worse, here and perhaps on other threads?

In the light of your remarks we may both be surprised that to my knowledge no others have complained about me / my posts to the 'powers that be'. If you feel so strongly about it, have you not considered it?

I used to think they were intended as helpful, but in the light of your nice post perhaps they are not.

My (possibly flawed) judgement was that at least the people who asked would like a step by step guide to assist them. Some might think that is my way of being cryptic and unhelpful no doubt, I could not possibly comment.

MStep

To woodpecker, (and marlbrook) and all--- I have been concentrating my free time this week to working with Jeff (marlbrook's) program, which provides for computer control of the DV1 via a serial cable. Hopefully, within the next day or two, I will post an overview of some of the features of the program.

I am very enthusiastic about Jeff's work, as I am about the Butel program. It's great to see that right now we've got at least two sources for programs related to the DV1, although thus far, Jeff's computer-control program is actually up and running and available.

As far as "cryptic posts", well from what I have seen so far, Jeff has delivered on what has been promised, at least as far as the program via serial-cable connection goes. But I would expect some of the technical conversations of the radio to be "cryptic"--- the guys that are working on the software for the DV1 are dealing with a lot of unknowns here. AOR has been slow at releasing all of the coding information, to the point that forum member Eric Cottrell has actually managed to decode some of the "secrets" of the DV1, to the benefit of all involved.

So I would expect that marlbrook's initial information might sound cryptic in nature, but unfortunately that's the nature of the technology that we are dealing with. We are in unexplored territory here, so I am willing to be patient and trust that Jeff will provide that information to those who support his program once he has it formalized.

In the meantime, I want to get back to my radio and Jeff's program (marketed under Ash-By Products), so that I can continue refining my review. In the meantime, at least as far as the program is available on a trial basis, I would encourage folks to try it.

I hope more folks get involved with the development and refinement of programs that deal with various aspects of DV1 operation. The DV1 is a great little radio, and IMHO, has some unexplored features and functions that can be operated via software.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.