Aor ar dv1 nexedge

Status
Not open for further replies.

philacop

Premium Subscriber
Hello
Just got my new DV1 this afternoon shipped in and am very happy with the digital voice quality here in the Phila area. Digital decoding of trunked NEXEDGE voice channels are almost 100% on 12.5 frequencies !!
Mototrbo also sounding great and system fusion too. need help with scanning speed stuff as i programmed 5 dmr channels to scan set up as dmr not auto detect. Also which sql mode do you think is best to set ?
Thanks

MStep

Hello
Just got my new DV1 this afternoon shipped in and am very happy with the digital voice quality here in the Phila area. Digital decoding of trunked NEXEDGE voice channels are almost 100% on 12.5 frequencies !!
Mototrbo also sounding great and system fusion too. need help with scanning speed stuff as i programmed 5 dmr channels to scan set up as dmr not auto detect. Also which sql mode do you think is best to set ?
Thanks

As far as I am aware, there is really no way to set the scanning speed of the DV1. When the unit was first introduced, folks complained that the scan (and search) speed was too slow. Over a number of firmware updates, AOR has gradually managed to increase the speed. It's important to remember that the radio was never originally designed to be a typical "scanner", but AOR has done well by providing scan and search functions that work well and have been properly integrated into the operation of the receiver.

Contrary to some claims that have been made, I have found it fairly easy to set up the radio to scan analog or digital channels, or combinations thereof, providing that you have made the proper settings in the various digital modes. For example, in DMR, I usually set the slot number and the color code and write it into memory for that channel.

I have found that Level squelch (LSQ) works best for scanning mixtures of analog and digital channels. You may have to experiment a bit to get the right level each time you start a scan.

philacop

Premium Subscriber
Aor at dv1

Thanks for the info!! I just put about 12 memory channels in and it seems as the radio scans 2 to 3 channels a second, not sure if that's the normal for this radio but it recieves very good. Can you control Th rf gain on fm mode ? Also we have a nexedge 4800 baud which the radio does not decode the digital voice..
Maybe future firmware update.

MStep

Thanks for the info!! I just put about 12 memory channels in and it seems as the radio scans 2 to 3 channels a second, not sure if that's the normal for this radio but it recieves very good. Can you control Th rf gain on fm mode ? Also we have a nexedge 4800 baud which the radio does not decode the digital voice..
Maybe future firmware update.

I think 2 - 3 channels per second is somewhat conservative--- I've seen the radio really zip along much faster than that. If you are using a software program with your radio (either the Ash-By or Butel packages), the scan rate in the program display APPEARS to be scanning at a slow rate, but in fact it's really zipping along--- try watching the radio's display and not the software's display. Because the communication between the radio and the computer is impeded somewhat by the USB serial connection, it appears in the program to be scanning slowly, but the radio is actually moving along at a pretty good clip.

Incidentally, I always suggest that folks become familiar with the radio's stand-alone operation first, and then choose the appropriate program to fill their needs. Both the Ash-By and the Butel packages are good, but each has its advantages and disadvantages. You can operate both on a trial basis, with some limitations.

The RG Gain control is tied to the ACG circuit, and does NOT function in FM mode. But in other modes, like SSB for example, the (F)unction key, followed by Key # 5 (AGC), will offer you several choices when you turn the tuning dial. RF-G (RF Gain) is one of those choices.

When RF-G is utilized, the Squelch knob controls the actual RF gain, but works counter-intuitively. You turn the Squelch knob counter-clockwise to INCREASE the RG gain.

In terms of other digital modes, one can only guess at what AOR will incorporate next. I'm not sure what limitations there are by the actual hardware--- we'll have to wait and see.

marlbrook

Premium Subscriber
Scanning Speed

I can only speak for my CAT program.

On the PC monitor, in SEARCH or SCAN I have deliberately SLOWED down the display. This makes sense, as the frequencies would just be a blur of unreadable information.

It has no effect at all on the speed of the receiver in either mode. If the radio stops on a channel, then the program displays all the correct information.

AOR managed to drastically increase the scan/search speeds with firmware updates. I can tell they did this by cutting down on other things while they are in progress, which includes the number of times the radio checks for new serial commands. In reality, this has had little effect on my program though, other than introducing very slight delays to the time it takes for the receiver to listen to and reply to commands during a search/scan.

People using the program would probably never notice this, but after almost 4000 hours perfecting it I should be close to being an expert on the AR-DV1 by now, its many fine qualities, and its firmware quirks (most if not all of which I have tamed).

I know, initially, AOR appeared to try to cover up the slow search/scan speeds by saying it was never designed to be a scanner, but overall, especially since the last firmware update I really feel the speed is very acceptable. Couple that with all the radio can do, and it is a very fine piece of equipment.

I realise some scanners may be a bit faster, some may provide very useful feature like a Mute button, or audible alerts, but those things, and others, have been achieved under software control.

Status
Not open for further replies.