AOR Forum Visitors / DV1 Users

Regarding the AOR forum and the DV1 receiver, please choose one:

• Currently own a DV1, and plan to keep it for the foreseeable future.

Votes: 27 52.9%
  • I plan to purchase a DV1 within the next 30 days.

Votes: 1 2.0%
  • Interested in the DV1, but have not decided whether to purchase yet.

Votes: 13 25.5%
  • Currently own a DV1, but planning to return/trade/sell or otherwise dispose of it.

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Previously owned a DV1, but have already returned/traded/sold or otherwise disposed of it.

Votes: 4 7.8%
  • I am not planning on buying the DV1, just interested in following the DV1 threads.

Votes: 6 11.8%
  • Have no interest in the DV1 -- just visiting the forum to learn about other AOR products.

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Status
Not open for further replies.

MStep

I've noticed over the past several months that the AOR forum here receives a lot of visits (based on the number of views to certain threads), but only a dozen or so folks contribute on a regular basis. Many of the posts are about the DV1 receiver, while other posts are about other AOR products.

I have designed this poll to help us all understand who is visiting the forum, and in particular, how many DV1 users and enthusiasts we have out there. But even if you are not interested in the DV1, we've got a selection for you to chose as well in our poll.

Unlike my last poll, which was public (and folks could see how others voted), this one is private. Everyone will be able to vote and to see the results of the poll, but no one can see who the other participants were or how they voted.

So please take a moment to look over the choices and select the one that applies to you. I'm pretty sure you have to be a registered Radio Reference participant and logged in to your account in order to vote. But remember, no one can see how you voted. Thanks for your participation.

Last edited:

dudekindjack

I have no idea of how I would vote at this point. I'm starting to get agrivated over mine. I send emails to the repair place, I sent emails to guy I purchased it from who told me to send it the replace place, I get nothing back. At this point, it's been sent out as long as I had the radio. While I had it, I loved it. But I'm seriously thinking about selling the thing if I ever get it back. I've got by all these months without it, and the longer I'm without it, I'm thinking I don't need it once i get it back.
Tomorrow I may feel different about it. Sorry if I just sound bitter or negative. . I'm thinking of just selling mine once I get it back and just buying me a pro 197 uniden with P25 or something similar. My local emergency stuff is still on analog for now, couple neighboring county's have gone P25 , and there's ones that's nxdn thst even the ar-dv1 didn't even do, due to wrong nxdn mode. The're was 1 dmr frequency I heard , and it was a county thwt was sorta far away, and I still wasn't hear it the best , even with the pre-amp I use on.

MStep

I have no idea of how I would vote at this point. I'm starting to get agrivated over mine. I send emails to the repair place, I sent emails to guy I purchased it from who told me to send it the replace place, I get nothing back. At this point, it's been sent out as long as I had the radio. While I had it, I loved it. But I'm seriously thinking about selling the thing if I ever get it back. I've got by all these months without it, and the longer I'm without it, I'm thinking I don't need it once i get it back.
Tomorrow I may feel different about it. Sorry if I just sound bitter or negative. . I'm thinking of just selling mine once I get it back and just buying me a pro 197 uniden with P25 or something similar. My local emergency stuff is still on analog for now, couple neighboring county's have gone P25 , and there's ones that's nxdn thst even the ar-dv1 didn't even do, due to wrong nxdn mode. The're was 1 dmr frequency I heard , and it was a county thwt was sorta far away, and I still wasn't hear it the best , even with the pre-amp I use on.

No vote required---- yours is a special and unfortunate situation. What you need to do is contact AOR in Japan with your serial number to see if they ever received your radio. And although it doesn't help you, there are likely many folks here who have followed your situation and are now aware that if they live in the United States, they should buy the radio from an authorized dealer here in the U.S. and make sure they get the U.S. version of the radio.

I'm also sending you a private message, so check your email here in a little while.

K2KOH

Premium Subscriber
I only have one police department by me that uses DMR, Brewster Village. It may not be worth it yet. But I like looking at the toys and just watching how they pan out in case i do want one or could really use one

MStep

I only have one police department by me that uses DMR, Brewster Village. It may not be worth it yet. But I like looking at the toys and just watching how they pan out in case i do want one or could really use one

Yep, there's a saying--- "The only difference between men and boys are the price of their toys." Certainly there are other options besides the DV1 for monitoring DMR, although none quite in such a nice overall package. (It should be noted however, that the DV1 does not do trunked DMR systems.) There are some folks out there using software; others are using hand-held, and/or used Motorola or other brand radios to monitor one or two local DMR frequencies.

One of the reasons I created the poll was to get an idea of the "population" of the AOR forum. Some threads have many, many hits, but, as I said in my original post, there are only a handful of posters. It will be interesting to see the results of the poll.

northernsw

To me there is more to AOR than the DV1. I am not just interested in the DV1. I have one and think its great. I have an 8600 and like that one as well. I am still interested in the 8200D model but will have to import that one. I would also love to see a handheld DV1, I would buy it in a heartbeat.

MStep

To me there is more to AOR than the DV1. I am not just interested in the DV1. I have one and think its great. I have an 8600 and like that one as well. I am still interested in the 8200D model but will have to import that one. I would also love to see a handheld DV1, I would buy it in a heartbeat.

Well I hope you voted appropriately in our poll. And yes, there is certainly much more to AOR than just the DV1. But the DV1 seems to be the radio that has revitalized interest in AOR. And I certainly agree with you that it is a great radio. Many of the more recent posts here in the forum relate to the DV1. Thanks so much for your participation.

MStep

Where Is Everyone ?

Well, the POLL has been running now for 10 days. We have 15 more days before it closes out. As of this post, we've had 35 responses. I guess the question is, "Where Is Everyone?".

Nearly 600 folks have looked at the poll, (although I guess some of those could be repeat visitors checking on the results thus far). In addition, other DV1 related threads here get hits in the thousands and thousands.

Could there really be that few a number of DV1 users in the world? I would think that most of them have access to the Radio Reference website. And although we know that government agencies make up a very high percentage of AOR's sales, I would think that there certainly have to be more hobbyists out there using the DV1.

I would love to hear comments and theories from other folks.

MarkWestin

I own an AR 8200 MK3 and am interested in the DV1 receiver. As far as the AR 8200 goes, I now wish that I had purchased the AR 8600 Mk II instead. I think that it be more useful to me and would actually get used more than the AR 8200 is. If I were currently able to afford a new AOR receiver, the DV1 would be my choice over the AR 8600. Two things are currently preventing me from getting a DV1. 1. I don't like the concept of having to buy a purposely crippled product (the USA version) instead of a non USA model, just so that I can't listen to analog cell phones, which the radio can't decode anyway. 2. unfortunately, I am living on disability and currently can't afford to buy any new equipment for the foreseeable future, including radios and computing equipment. I know my answer doesn't fit in any of your categories so I didn't vote.

Mark

PS: I am not asking anyone for anything. I'm also not complaining about my current situation.

MStep

I own an AR 8200 MK3 and am interested in the DV1 receiver. As far as the AR 8200 goes, I now wish that I had purchased the AR 8600 Mk II instead. I think that it be more useful to me and would actually get used more than the AR 8200 is. If I were currently able to afford a new AOR receiver, the DV1 would be my choice over the AR 8600. Two things are currently preventing me from getting a DV1. 1. I don't like the concept of having to buy a purposely crippled product (the USA version) instead of a non USA model, just so that I can't listen to analog cell phones, which the radio can't decode anyway. 2. unfortunately, I am living on disability and currently can't afford to buy any new equipment for the foreseeable future, including radios and computing equipment. I know my answer doesn't fit in any of your categories so I didn't vote.

Mark

PS: I am not asking anyone for anything. I'm also not complaining about my current situation.

Well Mark, I had the unblocked version of the DV1 for about a month, and I can tell you that here in the NYC area, there was nothing to listen to on the cellular frequencies. The unblocked version also includes the ability to decode voice inversion, but that also proved useless here since no one in my area was using it, as far as I could determine.

I quickly returned the unblocked version and bought the U.S. version from a different retailer when I found out that AOR's facility in Torrance, California, would not touch an unblocked radio, whether it was in warranty or not. The radio would have had to be returned to Asia for any repairs.

Thanks for checking in and sharing your information here.

n2pqq

Premium Subscriber
I will tell you why I did not buy one.

Dsd+ came into the main stream right
around the time the aor radio was released.

Now there are hints uniden may be releasing
Something for dmr reception.

The screen on the aor could have been
A color led and would have inticed more people
To make a purchase.

So for those reasons I have not purchased one.
I do admire aor for being first out the gate in
trying something different .

MStep

I will tell you why I did not buy one.

Dsd+ came into the main stream right
around the time the aor radio was released.

Now there are hints uniden may be releasing
Something for dmr reception.

The screen on the aor could have been
A color led and would have inticed more people
To make a purchase.

So for those reasons I have not purchased one.
I do admire aor for being first out the gate in
trying something different .

I hope that AOR is paying attention to this thread, and to all the threads here in the AOR forum, from guys like yourself and others who offer great ideas and suggestions.

It's no secret that I had a love/hate relationship with my first DV1, I was really torn between keeping it or returning it (I was fortunate enough to have the option to return it within 30 days)--- and I agonized during that time. In the end I have to return it because it was not the "U.S. version", but I sorely missed the radio and ended up buying another from a U.S. dealer.

For me, the display is really not that critical--- it does what it's supposed to do, and the operation of the radio itself is so good, especially on those digital modes, that it really is a great radio.

Thanks for your comments and insight.

theoldcop

Premium Subscriber
8200 MK III

I voted that I do not have one but am interested and considering a purchase.
In all honesty I cannot say with certainty that I will make the purchase, however I am huge AOR fan, owning an AOR 8200MKIII, 8600MKII and a recently acquired very late serial number AOR 7030+.

MStep

I voted that I do not have one but am interested and considering a purchase.
In all honesty I cannot say with certainty that I will make the purchase, however I am huge AOR fan, owning an AOR 8200MKIII, 8600MKII and a recently acquired very late serial number AOR 7030+.

Thanks so much for your input.

radiation8

Can anyone comment on how Stable the DV1 unit is? In terms of Freq accuracy, and Freq Drift?

I have owned 2 AORs in the past and both has serious drift issues.

MStep

Can anyone comment on how Stable the DV1 unit is? In terms of Freq accuracy, and Freq Drift?

I have owned 2 AORs in the past and both has serious drift issues.

AOR's own specs puts it at less than +/- 2.5 ppm after a 5 minute warm-up period, which is really no great shakes when you compare that to AOR's top of the line "Alpha" unit, which comes in at less than +/- 0.1 ppm. Then again, we're talking $1,200 USD vs. appx $10,000 USD (street prices, not list). At about a cool $13,000 USD, you get the Icom R9500, which comes in at less than +/- 0.05 ppm.

In terms of my actual experience with the DV1, I find it acceptable when monitoring the USB "utility" stations (HF aeronautical, etc). I have not experienced any problem with drifting. But it would likely not be the first choice for someone who is more interested in HF than VHF or UHF.

Some folks in and around major metropolitan areas have mentioned more of a concern with front-end overload--- for the time being, I am using a discone across the entire 100 KHz - 1,300 MHz, so perhaps I have not gotten to full brunt of that overload.

At this point, the DV1 is really the only game in town if you want that that type of frequency coverage with all the digital modes that it covers. Bottom line--- would I but it again? Absolutely.

MStep

Last Chance To Vote

Just a reminder---- just 2 days left to cast your votes. Remember, no one can see (not even I) who voted or how you voted, so there is still time for DV1 enthusiasts to chime in. And thanks to those who have already participated.

Status
Not open for further replies.