AOR DV-10 Pending FCC Approval

Status
Not open for further replies.

AOR-262

I'm sure this new DV-10 from AOR will be available soon -- but for some time now I have been searching the FCC for any 'pending' applications from AOR. Most, if not all websites that have the DV-10 listed as a receiver they intend on stocking/selling have this to say ...

This device has not been approved by the F.C.C. This device may not be offered for sale or lease or be sold or leased until approval of the F.C.C. has been obtained. The information shown is preliminary and may be subject to change without notice or obligation.

:roll:

Attachments

• dv10-banner1.jpg
    dv10-banner1.jpg
    48.2 KB · Views: 3,792

KB7MIB

It doesn't say anything about trunk tracking. It also doesn't say cellular blocked.

John
Peoria, AZ

ka3jjz

Wiki Admin Emeritus
I highly doubt that AOR will have any kind of trunk tracking while Uniden and Whistler have a virtual (and probably legal, too) grip on that technology. It would likely add big bucks to a radio that's likely to be fairly expensive anyway.

Time will tell about how well this new toy is going to work. And I wouldn't hold my breath about HF performance either - at least in this ad, they neglect to say whether SSB is available as a mode. If not, you can practically forget a good chunk of the ham community buying this radio. The only ones that MIGHT be interested would be those involved with modes used in the ham community outside of HF. To me, that's a HUGE omission...Mike

AOR-262

@KB7MIB

It doesn't say anything about trunk tracking. It also doesn't say cellular blocked.

John
Peoria, AZ

Unfortunately for the American market ...

The AOR AR-DV10B wideband communications receiver covers 100 kHz to 1300 MHz (less cellular on U.S. consumer "B" version) in traditional analog modes (SSB, CW, AM, SAM, FM) as well as various digital modes including: APCO P-25 (Phase I & II), D-CR, DMR, Mototrbo, dPMR, NXDN, TETRA, Alinco EJ-47 GMSK, D-STAR and Yaesu FUSION. A new DALL function automatically determines the digital mode. It meets IPX 5 environmental standards. It has a MicroSD card-slot that supports audio recording. It is supplied with Li-ion battery, charger, BNC antenna and belt clip.

For Europe and pretty much the rest of the world ...

The AOR AR-DV10U model is the same as above, but without the 824-849 / 869-894 MHz cellular gap and can be purchased via government or qualifying commercial purchase order or for export only. The unblocked - export version is not available for online ordering.

ka3jjz

Wiki Admin Emeritus
Now that's kind of interesting - it has SSB and also SAM (Synchronous AM?). Still, gotta wonder about how HF performance will be. Overloading is a typical issue with handhelds if you put too much antenna on them...and, interestingly, it has TETRA, which has a tiny foothold here in the US, but big elsewhere...Mike

Forly192

I will have no interest in purchasing this receiver if it doesn't have Phase II trunk tracking (Which according to the literature it's supposed to have).

Then there are contradictory statements from AOR that state it will have the same capabilities as the DV1. The DV1 doesn't support Phase 2/trunked systems.

But the comparison chart distributed at the Japan Hamfest indicated that trunking will be available "soon".

I'm not sure what "soon" means since this was back in September.

I'm also curious about Selectivity numbers.

If, indeed, it will have the same capabilities as the DV1, then can someone with a DV1 chime in and tell us how it compares with other receivers they own?

AOR does not advertise numbers on Selectivity for the DV1. My conclusion is usually, if it's not listed, it's nothing to brag about.

By the way, I'm mystified by Icom's plans for the IC-R30. We were teased with a prototype in the summer of 2016, then again in 2017 and it's still not out.

Perhaps by the time it's out, the device will be outdated, who knows!

ka3jjz

Wiki Admin Emeritus
The literature, at least what I've seen so far, says nothing about trunking, and for the reason I mentioned earlier, I wouldn't expect it to. The phase 1 and 2 mentioned is just conventional, I'm pretty certain (altho I don't know of any conventional P2 users, there are plenty of conventional P1 users; the Feds use it heavily).

But I agree - no trunking, no sale for me...Mike

AOR-262

@Forly192

AOR doesn't seem to follow standards or whatever you'd call systems like 'trunking'. That tends to be manufactures such as Uniden who implement that into their radios. Not sure if they use 'trunking' in Japan -- where AOR is based. I doubt AOR will ever introduce trunking or other features manufactures such as Uniden have.

ka3jjz

Wiki Admin Emeritus
And I would bet dollars to yen that it's because of the patents Uniden and Whistler have on the technology; it would cost AOR a pretty penny to purchase the rights, and then who knows what the prices would be - certainly a good bit higher than what they are, regardless of the dollar value vs. the yen or any trade agreements...Mike

KB7MIB

@KB7MIB

The AOR AR-DV10B wideband communications receiver covers 100 kHz to 1300 MHz (less cellular on U.S. consumer "B" version) in traditional analog modes (SSB, CW, AM, SAM, FM) as well as various digital modes including: APCO P-25 (Phase I & II), D-CR, DMR, Mototrbo, dPMR, NXDN, TETRA, Alinco EJ-47 GMSK, D-STAR and Yaesu FUSION. A new DALL function automatically determines the digital mode. It meets IPX 5 environmental standards. It has a MicroSD card-slot that supports audio recording. It is supplied with Li-ion battery, charger, BNC antenna and belt clip.

For Europe and pretty much the rest of the world ...

The AOR AR-DV10U model is the same as above, but without the 824-849 / 869-894 MHz cellular gap and can be purchased via government or qualifying commercial purchase order or for export only. The unblocked - export version is not available for online ordering.

So there is a civilian version, as well as a goverment/export version. AOR has had some goverment/export only radios in the past, and I was wondering if this was another one.

It still appears that there is no trunking, though. Only conventional.

John
Peoria, AZ

iMONITOR

Silent Key
Premium Subscriber
@KB7MIB

The AOR AR-DV10B wideband communications receiver covers 100 kHz to 1300 MHz (less cellular on U.S. consumer "B" version)

Is that even a big deal these days? Is there anything to monitor within that spectrum these days?

They'll be shipping un-blocked versions on Ebay, at a premium if you really need it.

rustynswrail

The literature, at least what I've seen so far, says nothing about trunking, and for the reason I mentioned earlier, I wouldn't expect it to. The phase 1 and 2 mentioned is just conventional, I'm pretty certain (altho I don't know of any conventional P2 users, there are plenty of conventional P1 users; the Feds use it heavily). But I agree - no trunking, no sale for me...Mike

Phase is Trunking not conventional. AOR's use of the term Phase 2 is somewhat ambiguous, whether the DV10 can trunk Phase 2 remains to be seen. It maybe that you can monitor a Phase 2 system only, just not trunk track it.

R

ka3jjz

Wiki Admin Emeritus
Phase 1 and 2 are as much a transmission mode as the use of trunking protocols. Otherwise how can you have Phase 1 conventional frequencies, such as those the Feds use? I do agree that their use of the term is rather vague, perhaps necessarily so, since they likely don't have the licenses in place to support trunking. Even the DV1 doesn't trunk, so we can't expect the DV10 to, either. Bottom line, don't think that AOR is going to have trunking anytime soon. Mike ..

Citywide173

Premium Subscriber
Phase 1 and 2 are as much a transmission mode as the use of trunking protocols. Otherwise how can you have Phase 1 conventional frequencies, such as those the Feds use? I do agree that their use of the term is rather vague, perhaps necessarily so, since they likely don't have the licenses in place to support trunking. Even the DV1 doesn't trunk, so we can't expect the DV10 to, either. Bottom line, don't think that AOR is going to have trunking anytime soon. Mike ..

I personally think it will be able to decode Phase II transmissions on a single frequency but not track a trunked system. There are others that are convinced that since it says Phase II and the only standards that exist for Phase II are trunking that it must track trunked systems. An email to AOR's US office asking for clarification resulted in a "we will announce the final feature set when we know what they are."

AA6IO

Premium Subscriber
Go back to my original posts about AR-DV1 a couple of years ago and my discussions with Taka at AOR. My questions about why no trunking regarding AR-DV1, as told to me by Taka, the USA AOR representative, after discussions with the AOR president in Japan, were: We don't make scanners, we make communication receivers, and there never will be trunking.
I imagine that line has not changed and the handheld version (ARDV10) now being set for release will be no different. Don't look for trunking from AOR.

mancow

Database Admin
So they fail to realize communications are happening through trunked systems. I guess they don't like making more money. Idiots

Forly192

Not to split hairs, but if AOR really wanted to be more ambiguous they could have simply stated that it will decode APCO25 instead of specifying Phase 1 and Phase 2.

But, it's all speculation at this point. So we'll have to wait and see.

And here I thought that a company was finally going to merge all of today's reception modes into one package.

For the sake of debate, I don't see much use for decoding Phase 2 systems if they cannot be trunk tracked.

After the iPhone 4 came out, Steve Jobs said that no one would ever want to buy a phone with a bigger screen, and then Apple went and followed market demand and made iPhones with bigger and bigger screens.

Prices for the DV10 are floating around the Internet, somewhere in the neighborhood of $1000. That seems excessive if it only decodes digital modes without trunk tracking.

If AOR disappoints, I'll simply opt for the Icom instead. I hear the price is going to be around $500.

Jimru

Premium Subscriber
Here is the chart that AOR was posting. It looks to me like it will decode Phase 2 frequencies, but I don't think it will "trunk track" them.

http://www.mascar.com/img/conf.jpg

One thing I find interesting in that chart is is the parenthetical use of “scrambled”. A scrambled signal is synonymous with encryption, is it not?

Is the monitoring of “scrambled” sigs in Japan not illegal?

Status
Not open for further replies.