RadioReference on Facebook   RadioReference on Twitter   RadioReference Blog

Go Back   The RadioReference.com Forums > Scanners, Receivers and Related Equipment Forums > AOR Receivers

AOR Receivers - A forum for the discussion of all AOR scanning radios and receivers.

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old 06-09-2018, 6:42 AM

Default What would you pay or what is fair market price for AR8200 MKII unblocked?

Despite theses radios having been around forever, there just arenít very many of them for sale on the used market. Iím having a hard time figuring out what a reasonable price would be. In this case, not the MKIII, but a MKII that is from outside the US (unblocked) that is in very nice cosmetic condition. If you were in the market for one like this, what would you see as a reasonable price to pay?
Sponsored links
Old 06-09-2018, 10:59 AM

I have not used a MKII but the 8200 MKIII is a very good receiver and there were a number of unblocked US Govt units floating around on eBay in the $375 to $400 range. These versions are not only unblocked but have the built in inversion descrambler and the backlight can be switched to infrared for use with night vision equipment.
Old 06-09-2018, 11:17 AM

I hate to steer my own thread off topic, but I’ve seen/heard about the “government “ models. Are there any examples of the 8200 in use by government agencies?
Old 06-09-2018, 12:05 PM
  Premium Subscriber
Premium Subscriber
Amateur Radio Operator
Amateur Radio

I worked for a government contractor we used an 8200 on our job....least to say it was a very nice unit and worked well.
Old 06-09-2018, 12:17 PM
  Amateur Radio Operator
Amateur Radio

"Unblocked" refers to reception in the original analog cellphone range, which really has no extra value now that almost all cellular in the USA is digital.
Sponsored links
Old 06-09-2018, 12:37 PM

Yes, there were lots of them shipped to Iraq and Afghanistan and used by US military for various things. Here is one of the Govt vendors that supplied them: Radio Reconnaissance Technologies Inc

I've talked with a USMC guy that used them in Afghanistan with a radio direction finder and also interpreters used them when they located enemy comms.

Quote:
Originally Posted by svenmarbles View Post
I hate to steer my own thread off topic, but I’ve seen/heard about the “government “ models. Are there any examples of the 8200 in use by government agencies?
Old 06-09-2018, 1:57 PM

Oh no kidding? Yeah I know about how they would intercept the enemy radios in the mountains, and in fact that was key intel during those conflicts. I did not know it was an 8200 that they were using to do that.
Old 06-09-2018, 3:21 PM

Yeah I’m pretty sure he’s using an AOR AR8200 at the beginning of this video.
https://youtu.be/8oKWtRAvuE4