Aor Ar-1000?

Status
Not open for further replies.

bonus1331

I had one years ago. Paid huge amount of money at the time for it as well. Think I bought through Lentini Communications; who I'm pretty sure are long gone like the AOR1000. Was a real pain in the butt to program. No tracking trunked systems as well.

cristisphoto

I am A VERY Propud Owber of the AR 8200 MK3
and AOR is NOT a Trunked Reciver
rather its Meant for Wideband use
particuly HF USB Etc,
Crista

PS
Expect to spend a LOT on their Desktop model
Well worth it though

Yeah I have one. My first high end radio. Before I had just been exposed to 40 channel BC-210xlt and 800xlt Unidens. The AOR 1000XLT was a huge step forward. I bought mine from the now defunct EEB out of Virginia. I remember they came with those horrid Japanese manuals in “engrish”the instructions in which were actually wrong in many cases. Totally useless. I had to just learn mine by trial and error. Took a couple of days by just thinking it through. Powerful radio in it's day though. Got me hooked on milcom.

I had to send mine in for a minor repair/realignment and talked to a tech there at length about them. He said that a very large percentage (I don't recall how large but it was shockingly large as I recall) of them came back simply because customers simply could not figure them out because the manual AOR supplied was so terrible. He said they got most of them back.

A book finally came out which amounted to an owner's manual. It was really required for anyone who owed the thing. The author is kind enough to offer it for free on PDF now for anyone who wants it. A Google search for “AOR AR 1000 User's Guide Howard Bornestein” or something to that effect should get you there. I don't have a copy on my laptop.

ka3jjz

Wiki Admin Emeritus
From the CHM website...

http://www.designeq.com/deq/Guide_To_The_AR1000.pdf

I had the XLT version for awhile. Did a little milair on it, not a bad radio, but a little sensitive to overloading. The keyboard was horrific, and as I understand it, many radios went dead because of it (mine did). A shame - I had built a power supply for it, along with a small attenuator to use on HF. I had a K40 CB antenna which I fed as a random wire (no ground) and used to listen to the BBC, Netherlands, China and more while driving on long trips. <sigh> Those were the days....73s Mike

I remember that I bought a base unit from ACE (?) which I believe was out of Indiana. It was basically an AOR 1000XLT in a plastic base type case with a signal strength LED display. It was labeled as a Trident something or another. It worked great but for some reason which I can't recall I sent the unit back. I wish now I hadn't. Maybe I chickened out on price or something. For the life of me I can't remember but I do remember I sent it back.

I remember ACE sold the 1000 and several off branded radios of the Trident brand. Seems like they shut down after getting caught up in the whole cellular ban debacle or something.

Declared_Hostile said:
Yeah I have one. My first high end radio. Before I had just been exposed to 40 channel BC-210xlt and 800xlt Unidens. The AOR 1000XLT was a huge step forward. I bought mine from the now defunct EEB out of Virginia. I remember they came with those horrid Japanese manuals in “engrish”the instructions in which were actually wrong in many cases. Totally useless. I had to just learn mine by trial and error. Took a couple of days by just thinking it through. Powerful radio in it's day though. Got me hooked on milcom.

I had to send mine in for a minor repair/realignment and talked to a tech there at length about them. He said that a very large percentage (I don't recall how large but it was shockingly large as I recall) of them came back simply because customers simply could not figure them out because the manual AOR supplied was so terrible. He said they got most of them back.

A book finally came out which amounted to an owner's manual. It was really required for anyone who owed the thing. The author is kind enough to offer it for free on PDF now for anyone who wants it. A Google search for “AOR AR 1000 User's Guide Howard Bornestein” or something to that effect should get you there. I don't have a copy on my laptop.
Here is a link for the AOR AR1000 manual: http://designeq.com/deq/Guide_To_The_AR1000.pdf

OZ_Redneck

johnwashington said:
Yes, had to manually program all 1000 frequencies. But it did pick up cell phones unlike scanners of today. Good scanner for its time.

Does it pick up modern cell phones?

morfis

OZ_Redneck said:
Does it pick up modern cell phones?

No, there are no scanners* that are going to pick up GSM cell phones.

* - plenty of places on the internet that say they can decode the GSM signals but none will sell you any kit that will actually do it

ScanDaBands

Completely Banned for the Greater Good
Banned
johnwashington said:
Besides me, does anyone else have this scanner? From what I have read, this model was discontinued in about 1994.

Yea I had one - PURE JUNK ...............Intermod was outrageous........I actually took mine to a firing range and put a few through it...........wish I would have taken pictures of that.

OK now - I'm sure they are probably nice in some way , in all fairness the one I had "been around the block" so maybe it's not fair for me to say the above......I do know this , I had the 2500 (whatever the base model was I can't even remember) and quite honestly , I kept that for two weeks and got rid of it as soon as I could after that.......didn't like it AT ALL. I'm sure the newer AOR models are super duper but far as I'm concerned on the old ones

- don't waste your money.
yawn.gif

ScanDaBands said:
Yea I had one - PURE JUNK ...............Intermod was outrageous........I actually took mine to a firing range and put a few through it...........wish I would have taken pictures of that.

OK now - I'm sure they are probably nice in some way , in all fairness the one I had "been around the block" so maybe it's not fair for me to say the above......I do know this , I had the 2500 (whatever the base model was I can't even remember) and quite honestly , I kept that for two weeks and got rid of it as soon as I could after that.......didn't like it AT ALL. I'm sure the newer AOR models are super duper but far as I'm concerned on the old ones

- don't waste your money.
yawn.gif
I have had the 1000 for about 15-20 yrs already.

coastradio

Hi,
Im new to the world of scanning (although I am a coastguard - I RX/TX marine band radio for a living!) and Ive just bought a cheap AOR AR1000 from E-Bay as my first scanner. I seem to be having a problem though, and hoped you guys might help me out - It seems the scanner will only allow me to program and access bank 4. This is what happens;
I press MANUAL
I press BANK
I imput the Bank/Channel Number (for instance 600) - This should open the channel and allow me to enter the frequency I wish to allocate to that channel. . . BUT
The Scanner automatically jumps back to Ch400.

I dont think all the other banks are "locked" because acording to the AR1000 Bible (mentioned eirlier in this thread) the Locked Channels will still let you access the channel, otherwise how would you ever Unlock said channels?

Anyone with any ideas what might have happened to the other 900 Channel allocations or have had similar experiences with the 1000

Thanks in advance,

amen

gave it away

I had one for about 5 years. the worst damm radio I've ever owened. Gave it to a buddy after that he never spoke to me anymore . The dam thing was not user firendy at all.

Status
Not open for further replies.