BCT15 or PSR 400

Status
Not open for further replies.

BaLa

Want to get a Base/Mobile Scanner.

Main use will be scanning the local EDACS System in the County.
No Digital here yet.

THP is supposed to be going to digital repeaters but I don't monitor them much and I've already got a 396t/Pro 96 anyways.

I pretty much hand my mind set on the 15.
But if the PSR400 can be PC Controlled It would be a tougher choice.

Not sure where else I should be posting this.
Since It's both GRE/Uniden.

spooney

Biggest complaint I have with the BCT15 is the orange backlight. It was hard for me to read the display even at the brightest setting. The GRE and RS scanners amber backlight is much easier on the old eyes. If you want to see plenty of alpha tagging then the BCT15 is better in that department. GRE is limited to 10 banks , 1000 channels. Since you have a 396 you are familiar with the way the Unidens function. You can turn up to 100 different systems on & off with either a single key press or 3 key presses. My preference would be for the GRE. Which one of your H/H's do you like better, the 396 or the Pro-96 ??

Last edited:

BaLa

:D
Memory Management 396
Overall 96 hands down.

I should add that I don't have a problem with how the 96 works in that dept.
I just prefer how the 396 handles it, after getting used to it.

But since the 400 can't be comp. controlled,
Unless theres a good reason to get it.....

spooney

Read up on the PSR-600. I just got one after the PSR-500 sold me on GRE. WIN500 software with computer control it's pretty hard to beat.

ryangassxx

Completely Banned for the Greater Good
Banned
Keep in mind that there is no software currently available for the PSR-400.. I have the 300 (same thing) and am really pulling my hair out due to lack of programming software..

hiegtx

Mentor
Premium Subscriber
BaLa said:
:D
Memory Management 396
Overall 96 hands down.

I should add that I don't have a problem with how the 96 works in that dept.
I just prefer how the 396 handles it, after getting used to it.

But since the 400 can't be comp. controlled,
Unless theres a good reason to get it.....
Bala,
Since you're in Bell County, near Ft. Hood, you might want to use the scanner to monitor the TXU system, which has talkgroups for the base. The TXU system is EDACS Narrow. The PSR400 won't cover that type system; the BCT15 will.

ryangassxx

Completely Banned for the Greater Good
Banned
hiegtx said:
Bala,
Since you're in Bell County, near Ft. Hood, you might want to use the scanner to monitor the TXU system, which has talkgroups for the base. The TXU system is EDACS Narrow. The PSR400 won't cover that type system; the BCT15 will.

Why wont the PSR-400 cover that one? Looks like an edacs system...

BaLa

ryangassxx said:
hmm

looks like it will be the 15...if it's just for the lack of comp control..

Ryan,
None of my GREs (Radio Shacks) do EDACS Narrow (Only Wide)
I assume the PSR 400 does either.

hiegtx

Mentor
Premium Subscriber
ryangassxx said:
Based on the specs in the Wiki. Look at the RR system compatibility listed for each scanner.

It covers EDACS Standard (or Wide for the alternate term). The TXU system is EDACS Narrow; it's a 900Mhz system. The Pro-97 will not correctly cover it either.

The newer Unidens (246, 330, 396, 996, BCT15) all cover the narrow as well as standard. The digital GRE's (PSR500 & PSR600) both show specs to cover the EDACS Narrow.

WP4MZR

Txu

Bala , a few months ago I got a bct-15 and I able to listen to all the trunking systems in bell county, including TXU's site in copperas cove(Ft. hood's site) from inside my house in nolanville using the stock antenna. So depending on what part of temple you are in, you might be able to do the same. There is a TXU site in belton but I believe there is no ft hood traffic through it.

One thing I dont like about the 15 is the sound quality, it is really loud dont get me wrong, but the audio frequencies feel really low, like too much bass, or may be is just me. I have mine hooked to a laptop for recordings and programming so I prefer to listen through the laptop speakers, it is a lot better.

WP4MZR

You are about 30 miles from that site. I see that some of your scanners can tune to 93x.xxxx MHz, tune to 938.4125 MHz and check if you can receive the control channel. Being that far way, you are going to need a external antenna.

Status
Not open for further replies.