I'm stuck GRE PSR-600 or Uniden 996digital?

Status
Not open for further replies.

tmcaree

I am just getting into the hobby and want a very good scanner, so I can pick up my local RCMP and stuff. Is one of the 2 scanners mentioned in my topic better than the other? I know I need to do more reading but right now all these #'s and frequencies are jibberish. I am more of hands on learner and want to buy my scanner then read and learn as I go Just looking for some input

so any input would be appreciated I live In northern Manitoba.

Thank you

Viper43

Have you looked at the manuals for either scanner? If not I'd suggest doing that. Both would be easier to program via computer although they can be programmed manually it would take a long time to do so..

V

jonny290

Flip a coin. Heads Uniden, tails GRE.

If you hate it in six months, sell it and get the other one.

intrepid97

If I am not mistaken,The Uniden 996 covers everything from 25-1300Mhz with FEW gaps.

Edited for saying NO GAPS.

Last edited:

intrepid97

Firefighter,Yes,You are correct,I should not have assumed that everyone knows about the Cellular Block in all modern Scanners :)

But it does cover more frequencies than the GRE ;)

Both Scanners are nice,Tough decision.

Tom_G

If you are going to monitor a lot of digital systems I would go with the GRE.
The digital audio quality on the GRE radios is the best I have heard.

N1SQB

Premium Subscriber
Its Up To You!

Personaly,
I'd go with the Uniden 996. Not withstanding the audio that my friend Tom G. was talking about, the Unidens also have great audio and do have some very nice features.The display is a little better in my opinion than the GRE. I found the Uniden to more user friendly than the GRE.
Overall, its really up to you and what your individual tastes are. You really cant go wrong with either. Being new to the hobby,you are really starting off at the top with either of those. Are you sure you will even need digital coverage? If you dont,you can get the UNIDEN BCT15 which is just like the 996 in specifications,just a few less channels(1500) and no digital coverage. Then again,you are only talking about $230 or so instead of the $500 for the digital scanners.

Manny

tmcaree

Thanks for all the quick replies, I'm still researching atm. Hope to order one this week. I mainly want digital so I can pick up my local RCMP :)

Universaldecoder

Premium Subscriber
Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.