Anyone use this multicoupler?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Viper43

Just curious if anyone has or is using one of these multicouplers, the Digital Loggers Inc 16 Channel Wideband RF Multicoupler? I don't need a lot of amplification and this has 2.1db per channel so it should work pretty well for what I need.

Link to the multicoupler:

http://www.digital-loggers.com/multi.html

V

zz0468

QRT
Banned
I've never used one, but it has two things that I'd be looking for... a reasonably low noise figure, and low gain. I would expect it to work fairly well. What's missing is a spec sheet. I'd want to know what the 3rd order intercept is, and I'd want an even lower noise figure. But that's just me... It beats the drop amps/splitters by a country mile.

Viper43

Well thats what I was thinking too, but for the price it seemed very reasonable considering everything. In my area I don't need a lot of gain so the 2.1 seems OK, as it is I pick up 25 SAFET sites from home, this should help with the weaker one and won't be overbearing on the closer sites. I agree the noise figure seems high...but.... Hey, I can give it a 15 trial so if I don't like it it can go back.

V

zz0468

QRT
Banned
With the lower noise figure than a typical scanner, and the small amount of gain, you stand a chance of this thing actually improving your receiver performance, even though it's probably not intended as a preamp.

You NEVER need gain based on the area you're in. What you need is low system noise figure. That means low noise on the front end, and JUST ENOUGH gain to overcome the noise figure of the following stage. 1.8 db is quite decent for hobby/scanner use. For weak signal amateur use, you'd want to shave at least a db off of that.

Status
Not open for further replies.