Bluetooth Transmitter with Scanners

Status
Not open for further replies.

Liverdog

There are many small bluetooth transmitters made by several manfucturers that are meant to be used in conjuction with CD players, mp3 players, ipods, and other devices without built in bluetooth. Most of these bluetooth transmitters have a 3.5mm stereo plug.

Has anyone tried one of these with their scanner and an appropriate bluetooth headset?

I know that Motorola has said they won't support bluetooth with 800 MHz XTS radios for some reason. So, would the same problem (interference?) pose a problem with 800 MHz digital scanners?

Here are a few links with examples:

http://www.amazon.com/Scosche-Universal-Bluetooth®-transmitter-players/dp/B000I3DTWA

http://www.sonystyle.ca/commerce/se...10001&catalogId=0&langId=-1&productId=1003210

http://www.brookstone.com/shop/prod...=ChannelAdvisor&cm_pla=Nextag&cm_ite=datafeed

Last edited:

Shortwavewave

I sort of did that, my computer had a bluetooth adapter, and headset, i hooked the scanner to the comp, only problem was the range not as far as i wanted to go.

IMO the plain wireless headphones go farther

If distance isnt an issue, that would work fine

Universaldecoder

Premium Subscriber
I purchased a Jabra A120s BT adapter ($24.99) a few days ago, and I've been using it with my BCD396T. I have not experienced any problems. If there are any, I'm not aware of them yet.

I started off with Insignia BT stereo headphones from Best Buy to pair up with the Jabra A120s. They sounded great, but because of the way they are worn (hangs over your ears) I found it troublesome with my eyeglasses. I exchanged them for Sony BT headphones. The Sony's are a bit pricey, but are made to be worn like more traditional headphones.

The real neat thing about both the Insignia and Sony is this - I have both the Jabra BT adapter and a bluetooth enabled phone paired at the same time. This means that when I'm laying in bed or sitting up in front of the puter listening to my scanner an I get a call, the headphones automatically switch from broadcasting the 396T to answering the phone call!

Radio Shack had these BT adapters like the Jabra, but from Motorola for $10. They went like hotcakes.

I also use the Jabra BT adapter along with the Sony headphones with my BCD996T which is mounted in my car. The BCD record out is piped through my Alpine stereo's auxiliary input. Last week my wife finally said she had had enough and it was time to start listening to music again.

With the BT headphones, I can listen to the Bearcat without annoying the wife, and the radio is now freed up to play music for her enjoyment.

The range is decent. Especially when freshly charged. As an example, I have the 396T sitting atop a bookcase that is 7 ft tall, and about 15 ft away from my computer desk. That's the best area for reception in our study room, and it is also far enough away to clear any interference from our PC and LCD monitor. The Jabra is very light - actually feels cheap, but what do can you expect for $24 - titanium? I use a single dot of velcro to affix it to the back of the 396T, and to the dash of my car near the headphone jack of the 996T. It has a mini usb port for charging, and that's the con. You need a computer......or......a cellphone usb charger ($19 - can find them almost anywhere cellphones are sold) or one of those IGo's from Radioshack with a mini usb tip.

Attachments

• IMGP1848.JPG
    IMGP1848.JPG
    148.8 KB · Views: 1,551
  • IMGP1855.JPG
    IMGP1855.JPG
    162.1 KB · Views: 1,371
  • IMGP1859.JPG
    IMGP1859.JPG
    148.5 KB · Views: 1,409
Last edited:

Liverdog

Thanks Jose.

I'm wondering, have you ever tried the Jabra transmitter with a single ear BT or just the stereo version? Reason I ask is that I have seen where in some cases the BT transmitters only work with the stereo BT headsets.

Universaldecoder

Premium Subscriber
Hi Liverdog,

We have a single ear BT headphone, so I'll see if it works once it's charged. It's been laying around my pc since we got a new cellphone a couple months ago (part of the package deal).

Universaldecoder

Premium Subscriber
Liverdog said:
Thanks Jose.

I'm wondering, have you ever tried the Jabra transmitter with a single ear BT or just the stereo version? Reason I ask is that I have seen where in some cases the BT transmitters only work with the stereo BT headsets.

I tried it with a Motoroloa H550 earbud and it didn't work. The protocol, A2DP, that the A120s uses I do not think is for cellphone earbuds.

You'll need to get the A210s (2.5 mm plug) for cellphones w/o BT, but I don't think it will send out audio from your BCD396T.

Last edited:

E-Man

Completely Banned for the Greater Good
Banned
Im interested in doing the same, was at fry's the other day looking at BT headphones, but couldnt decide on which pair to go with.

Jose, could you post a pick or link of your headphones.

Thanks

Universaldecoder

Premium Subscriber
The model number is DR-BT22. Sorry, but it's a tediuos process to cut and paste a long link with this cellphone I'm on.

By the way the Jabra has a mute function that you can activate by pushing on the button quickly. There are no other indicators showing that it is ON besides the lack of sound. Push the button on the Jabra again to deactivate it.

Last edited:

NOZHW

I have been using the Jabra A210 with my 396 for a couple of years. I have an old Moto Cellphone bluetooth headset, and recently bought a Rocketfish cellphone bluetooth headset from Best Buy, and they both work perfect. I went to the Rocketfish because it's speaker projects out of the unit and into the ear, whereas to Moto hangs outside the ear. Sound is more stealth. This set up is great because I can listen anyplace, and people just think you are wearing a cellphone headset. They have no idea you are listening to a scanner.

Liverdog

Universaldecoder and BHART: That's exactly what I needed. Thanks for your "input" (pun intended).

I'm on line looking for the parts now.

BHART: On the bestbuy website, I see two BT units from rocketfish, one has three color panels that you can replace, and the other has a bunch of accessories like auto-chargers, etc. Do you know which one you bought? Also, I assume that you're using an adapter to bring the plug size up.

Jose or BHART: Also, since the A210 is the host for the BT headset, how do you pair it with the headset? Does it just look for any device currently in "pairing mode". I guess I'm wondering 'cause most of the devices I've seen usually require you to 'enter' a security code and I'm wondering how you get around that procedure with the A210.

Thanks

Last edited:

Universaldecoder

Premium Subscriber
The Jabra A120s has no way of entering a security code. I don't really know the technical details of how it manages to pair with the Sony headphones, but they do find each other.

When I pair the Sony headphones with the Treo 755, I get the pop up on the Treo asking for the security code. In this case it is 0000.

Maybe a BT expert can chime in, and enlighten us both.

By the way, I got them On as of right now. The 396T is on top of the fridge, and I'm taking a break from mopping the kitchen floor all the while listening to public safety with the headphones....a husband's chores are never done..lol. All is quiet as the 4 yr old falls a sleep.

Last edited:

Liverdog

Jose: I'm gonna hijack my own thread... I see in the photos that you're using, what looks like, and 800 MHz commercial antenna. Mind if I ask which one? Also, have you used the radio shack 800 one and how does it compare to the one you show in the picture?

Thanks,

Universaldecoder

Premium Subscriber
Hello Liverdog,

It's an Antennex 800 mhz antenna that's tuned to 864 mhz (I forget to be honest). Anyhow that center frequency was right where the Michigan MPSCS control channels are. So yes, it works better then the RS. It's also SMA. I think Scannermaster.com sells the same thing, but as to what center frequency they specified, I don't know.

I ordered it directly from Antennex. It took like 4 wks, and cost an arm and a few legs.

But if you really really want a killer 800 mhz antenna.....find one of those old analog cellphone ones (like at a Hamfest or swap meet) - the type that uses a funky TNC connector and has a hinged elbow near the base. I got like three of those babies from a now defunct electronics store (that was on 14 mi and Van Dyke for you SE Michiganders) for something like $5 ea. I don't know how these things where designed or what magic material was used, but they blow both the Antennex and RS out of the water. I'll post a pic of it when I get a chance. I don't have a TNC to SMA adapter to use it on the 396T, but I've used it on the 996T whenever it's out of the car - by the way this really rings the gears in my head because it brings to awareness the massive loss of signal from the RG58's, connectors, and the signal combiner I use in my mobile setup.

Last edited:

NOZHW

Hi Liverdog,

I have the one with the three color panels. Yes, I use an adaptor I bought at Radio Shack with it. The adaptor is kind of big, but it works. As far as pairing goes, I googled it and found out how. I bought the A210 on line and it came with no instructions. As I remember though, there is a pinhole on the device that you stick a pin or paper clip in to put it in "pairing" mode and turn on the headset and they find each other.I really like this set up! When I started doing this back in '06 I got some strange looks because cell phone blue tooth was new. Nowadays, they are common and nobody gives it a second thought...people just think you have a phone headset. A side benefit to this is people think you are on the phone, so you tend to get left alone, which makes it easier to listen to the radio!

Liverdog

Well, I gotta say, this is probably my favorite thread on this site... Lots of good info shared here. Thanks guys.

Funny enough, I have a couple of those old '80s style phones that I ended up with when I bid on an auction that had a RS scanner in it that I really wanted. I put the phones away, thinking they'd be good for an '80s party or something, but hadn't though of the antennas... Good thought!

Last edited:

philkoz

Premium Subscriber
Jabra/396 question

I've searched all the forums I could find about this, but still haven't found a definite answer. Please clarify if anyone can...

Just picked up a Motorola H9 BT (discontinued but very nice) for my Palm Treo. Does anyone know if the Jabra a210 will work on my 396 with the H9, since it's a single earpiece, not headphone style ? ? I believe I've read it will work with headphone style, but I can't find anything on it's use with a single earpiece.

Found a great price for the a210, and I would love to use it on my 396 and Icom R5.

Thanks....

raisindot

I'm using my PSR500 right now with my Logitech bluetooth wireless headphones system. It comes with a little bluetooth transmitter with a stereo plug and a wrap-around-the-back-of-your-head wireless jogging headphones.

The system itself has no performance effect whatsoever on the scanner. And while the reception quality is great (about a 40 foot range or so), with no interference, the build quality leaves a bit to be desired. The 'plug' on the transmitter has already come loose, so now it doesn't connect firmly with anything, so I only hear mono rather than stereo. Also, for some reason, I have to "reconnect" the transmitter and headphones far often than I'd prefer.

I mainly use this for running and exercise, but it's great to use at work with the scanner.

Suzie

Status
Not open for further replies.