Info on Motorola's Radius CM300 & GM300

Status
Not open for further replies.

CCHLLM

Yes, those are programmable radios, and you'll have to find someone who has the RSS (Radio Service Software) to change anything. Otherwise you'll have to purchase the software, if it's still available from MotherMoto.

RodStrong

Bentley said:
Does anyone know anything about these radios? Are they programmable? How would you change the freq's that they are already set to? :confused:

Thanks!

The CM is a pretty decent little rig. Can score a new one 32 ch 45 watt VHF for $350. UHF prices about the same. A bit more will get you a better built but nearly identical PM400, which has 64 ch I believe and a 3 year warranty instead of 2 yrs.

bpdkop21

Cm300

Been using two for about thee years now, and they suck. sound quality is horrible, 40 watt xmitter is too weak and the setup is not very user-friendly. If you can, get a gently used Radius 1225. Had those for years, much better mobile. Course a Syntor X9000 is what I'd get if I could use it, but MARCS is lurking closely.

kingpin

Trailer Park Supervisor
On the GM300s, I have about 20 still in service in my fleet and they have been for over 10 years now with daily useage. I'm very pleased with them. They are a no-nonsense radio. You can pick up the 45 watt ones on EBay for less than 200. I just sold 3 that I owned on there for even less a piece. Most moto shops can program them for you. I have had very good luck with them.

K4APR

I think the first thing to set straight is that these are from completely different families of radios. The older GM300 was a great radio and I wish they still made them. Depending on the split, these can be programmed outside of the factory range for amateur use or work just fine in the commercial range. They also came standard with the 16 pin logic board installed. That is why I like them so much for packet/APRS. Easy TNC interface.

The CM200 are a newer, smaller, not so great model. They are ok for low power, medium use, fairly quiet environments. They also have the 16 pin logic connector for interfacing to external devices like speakers (does anyone remember when Moto put out a service bulletin about disconnecting the internal speaker when using an external speaker?)

Both are programmable and require you to PURCHASE the RSS to do so. Cables however, can be made fairly easily. See www.batlabs.com for cable information.

Status
Not open for further replies.