NEWBIE need help

Status
Not open for further replies.

ke7qvx

I'm from portland OR,I just bought a BCT15 and try to program it,I went to RR database,found some frequency list for my area but has alittle confused,the list look like this:
Frequency Input License Type Tone Description Mode Tag
462.47500 467.47500 WPJU675 RM 88.5 PL Buses FM
464.12500 469.12500 KNJP853 RM 88.5 PL Buses FM .
So what is Frequency and Input frequency and which frequency should I enter in the scanner??
If anybody know about this please help.This is my first scanner and first time I try to play with this new stuff.I also just get my technician license a week ago.TOTAL NEW on everything but I love this hobby.Please help,Thanks.

captclint

Mentor
ke7qvx said:
So what is Frequency and Input frequency and which frequency should I enter in the scanner??
Under most circumstances, you only need to enter frequency(repeater output), but not repeater input. Input is there more for information only. I would also enter the tone values, as that tends to reduce interference.

Last edited:

ka3jjz

Wiki Admin Emeritus
Welcome. Before I continue, anything in blue is a link...

Yes, Capt is correct - just program the 'frequency' and 'PL', not the 'input'. You are looking at some sort of repeater system, and they work much like a ham repeater does.

Our hobby has numerous acronyms and abbreviations - we have a Glossary with definitions of some of the most common. It's always a work-in-progress, but it will get you started.

Since you have a BCT15, you should bookmark the BCT15 article from our wiki. It has several links that will help - in the 'related pages' section, bookmark the Easier to Read manual link. The Uniden manual is, as I understand it, less than what it could - or should - be to help newcomers. This is much better.

I would also read the DMA FAQ - this will get you started thinking in DMA terms (read UPMan's article) as well as introduce you to the world of Trunking (stick with the basics for now...). Trunking allows multiple agencies to share a set of frequencies, all at the same time, and is the de facto method for public service apps, so it's important to understand the concepts.

We have several forums here that will help - use the Uniden forum for BCT15 related questions, a Trunking forum for trunking concepts, and an Oregon forum. In addition, there are a couple of Yahoo groups for your area - specifically NWScan and OregonScan. You can never have too many sources of information. And of course, as you've discovered, use the database to get frequencies and other information

As for programming the BCT15, many start off with the Uniden Advanced System Director or UASD - however, the freeware BCTool and FreeScan are also worth a look. Compatible software is listed at the bottom of the BCT15 article mentioned earlier. Just stay as far away as possible from Scancat Lite Plus - there's been more than enough posts on our other boards (particularly the Software one) that it's a real POS. If you ask for a file for your area, be specific about what software you are using, as their file structures are not always compatible between packages.

73s Mike

ke7qvx

Thankyou Capt Clint ,and BIG THANKS to ka3jjz and Goose,I have alot of information now,I'll try to night se if i can catch any thing,BCT kind lik.e too complicate for me.One ore time thnaks every body.

Status
Not open for further replies.