narrow band scanners???

Status
Not open for further replies.

scannerman200

Premium Subscriber
I have a bc350a and a pro-433 scanner. I have been informed that the county fire repeater will be switching to a narrow band frequency. Now, I know neither one of the scanners that I have will accept full narrowband frequencies, but the scanner will round the frequency. Will I still be able to hear the narrow band frequency?

Bucko

Should be no problem ( if they are not to far away ) although they may sound a little mushy audio wise. I hear some myself with no problem.

Grog

Completely Banned for the Greater Good
Banned
They can switch to narrowband without changing frequencies as well, Gaston County EMS did. It will likely sound lower in volume.

N1BHH

An example of a narrow band frequency would be 154.8525 currently in use by the Millville, Ma. Police. Most current scanners allow direct entry of this frequency. There are some scanners which require that you change the frequency step from it's present default step, whatever it is, to a different step. The current spacing of frequencies has been changed to 7.5 kHz. from a previous 15 kHz. There are other steps, 6.25 being common also. There are even smaller steps, an example of 3.25 in the new 700 allocation.

The newer radios will enter a frequency like 154.0175 while older scanners allow 154.015 or 154.02.

Audio sounds a bit softer on some narrow band frequencies.

Status
Not open for further replies.