Help please: My Scanner wont turn on :(

Status
Not open for further replies.

TomBrady

Hi, i was wondering if anyone can help. My Scanner wont turn on. I have got new battrys, got a new power adapter and still nothing. I have had it in the garage and only got it out yesterday and i think damp, moisture could of got into it. Any tips on how i can get it working?

Thanks

gmclam

Premium Subscriber
Let's start out by you telling us the model of your scanner. Next, do you have a voltmeter? I assume it worked the last time you used it. One common problem people have is with the power jack on some models. Make sure you've got the correct wall wart and it is working - correct voltage and polarity - by measuring with a voltmeter.

TomBrady

It says on the scanner and box i need a 9v adapter, which i have. I dont have a voltmeter.

My scanner make and model is a

Radioshack pro-70 Hyperscan

Thanks

gmclam

Premium Subscriber
Often people plug adapters into power strips which are not working. All 9v adapters are not created equal. You also need the correct polarity and the correct plug for the scanner. Power adapters go bad, you need a means to check it; a volt meter, another scanner or something.

Are the batteries you are trying to use new? How do you know they are good? Or are they rechargables? How do you know they are charged? Even with good/charged batteries, some people have had problems with the power jack on the scanner such that it breaks the connection from the batteries.

What potential problems can you rule out as being the cause?

TomBrady

gmclam said:
Often people plug adapters into power strips which are not working. All 9v adapters are not created equal. You also need the correct polarity and the correct plug for the scanner. Power adapters go bad, you need a means to check it; a volt meter, another scanner or something.

Are the batteries you are trying to use new? How do you know they are good? Or are they rechargables? How do you know they are charged? Even with good/charged batteries, some people have had problems with the power jack on the scanner such that it breaks the connection from the batteries.

What potential problems can you rule out as being the cause?

Power adapter i bought new today.

Batteries i bought the best brand in the superstore (Duracell Ultra)

The only thing i can think is damp has got into it, my Garage is cold and maybe some rain has got in?

TomBrady

ryangassxx said:
Ahhh,... the Pro-70... That was my first scanner..

I got it for my 12th Birthday i think, it was 9/10 years ago, cause i have had it so long i want to keep it even though i plan on buying a new model soon.

kmacka

If moisture is a problem, wrap it up in a towel and throw it into the dryer. Just the fluff setting, though. ;)

mjthomas59

I would take the case apart(if possible) and see if you find anything obvious like a capacitor that has exploded(for lack of a better term) and that all the wires appear to be connected properly. I've got a Uniden SC150Y that quit working after being left out in the garage for a longtime(took the thing apart and still can't find anything that looks like a problem). The solders could have broken loose on the board, the capacitors on the board could have gone bad, unfortunately the possibilities are pretty endless and the only way to know what the problem is would be to get a voltmeter and check from the source of the power down every connection on the board to see what your issue is. Some cold-solders are almost impossible to see(that is where the solder either never made contact with the board or where it has broken loose.)

If the scanner has a lot of sentimental value then you could take it to a electrical repair shop, but the cost of repair(assuming it isn't just a loose wire) would probably cost more than the thing is worth.

Also, before you go putting the thing in the dryer and banging the crap out of it, just pop open the case(remove screws or whatever is keeping it together) and put a blowdryer on it. No need rattling anything else loose inside the scanner of destroying your screen.

TomBrady

mjthomas59 said:
I would take the case apart(if possible) and see if you find anything obvious like a capacitor that has exploded(for lack of a better term) and that all the wires appear to be connected properly. I've got a Uniden SC150Y that quit working after being left out in the garage for a longtime(took the thing apart and still can't find anything that looks like a problem). The solders could have broken loose on the board, the capacitors on the board could have gone bad, unfortunately the possibilities are pretty endless and the only way to know what the problem is would be to get a voltmeter and check from the source of the power down every connection on the board to see what your issue is. Some cold-solders are almost impossible to see(that is where the solder either never made contact with the board or where it has broken loose.)

If the scanner has a lot of sentimental value then you could take it to a electrical repair shop, but the cost of repair(assuming it isn't just a loose wire) would probably cost more than the thing is worth.

Also, before you go putting the thing in the dryer and banging the crap out of it, just pop open the case(remove screws or whatever is keeping it together) and put a blowdryer on it. No need rattling anything else loose inside the scanner of destroying your screen.

Going to take it apart after the gym and have a look if anything looks wrong, i aint seen inside one before, so what am i best looking for?

Its been indoors now for around 28hours, but if its damp right in the middle i guess it can take longer to dry out. So i will take it apart, wrap it in a towel and put it on the radiator and see if that sorts it if i find nothing obvious.

thanks again everyone.

scanman1970

turn on

try pressing a few buttons at the same time,i have a yupi that i have to do that to to get it scanning

gmclam

Premium Subscriber
I once stored an AM/FM radio near some pool chemicals. After several months fumes from the chemicals destroyed the radio. So it is not just where you stored it, but how and what it might have been close to.

TomBrady

I tried to take the case of, but one of the screws had a lil rust on it (only one) And the head of the screw has gone. Looks like im going to have to use a drill or take it to an electrical place. There isnt any chemicals really in the garage.

Thanks for the ebay links, taking a look now.

Status
Not open for further replies.