Okay, this is probably going to be a stupid question, but.....

Status
Not open for further replies.

NWI_Scanner_Guy

SCANNING THE AIRWAVES SINCE 1987
Can I receive the CB band on my scanner?

I'm using a Uniden BC72XLT, and live about 1/4 mile from a major interstate, but seem to be unable to pick up any CB radio chatter. The scanner covers that frequency range, but all I get is static. Is it just a case of no one using CB anymore, or something to do with the scanners workings?

Thanks in advance for any light you can shed for this dim bulb LOL :D

SSSG

Mick

26.9650-27.4050 (Citizens Band Class D) is part of the frq range for that scanner. With the right antenna you should be able to hear it.

tonsoffun

Senior Moderator
Premium Subscriber
Hi sssg
Are you using just the antenna that came with the scanner? If so, you might not receive them well. Your best bet is to have a outdoor antenna. Also depends if they are yacking on the radio.
Take care
Ron

Bentley

Here is the full channel spectrum...try tuning to only the more popular channel like 19. I'm not sure of any other ones that are used and how often. 21 maybe?

CH FREQ CH FREQ
1 26.965 MHz 21 27.215 MHz
2 26.975 MHz 22 27.225 MHz
3 26.985 MHz 23 27.255 MHz
4 27.005 MHz 24 27.235 MHz
5 27.015 MHz 25 27.245 MHz
6 27.025 MHz 26 27.265 MHz
7 27.035 MHz 27 27.275 MHz
8 27.055 MHz 28 27.285 MHz
9 27.065 MHz 29 27.295 MHz
10 27.075 MHz 30 27.305 MHz
11 27.085 MHz 31 27.315 MHz
12 27.105 MHz 32 27.325 MHz
13 27.115 MHz 33 27.335 MHz
14 27.125 MHz 34 27.345 MHz
15 27.135 MHz 35 27.355 MHz
16 27.155 MHz 36 27.365 MHz
17 27.165 MHz 37 27.375 MHz
18 27.175 MHz 38 27.385 MHz
19 27.185 MHz 39 27.395 MHz
20 27.205 MHz 40 27.405 MHz

W4KRR

Premium Subscriber
Just a thought, does that scanner receive that frequency range in AM mode? If so, is it set to AM mode when you're scanning in that range? If so, like others have suggested, an antenna designed for CB would produce better results on CB frequencies than the antenna supplied with the scanner.

Bentley

THIS is a decent antenna from radio shack that I have used to monitor CB in the past. Extend all nine sections (according to the instruction manual) and you should get some decent range. Much better than a stock rubber duckie anyway. This should do the trick without breaking the bank, unless you want to start spending some serious money and put an antenna on your roof! Just my 2 cents.

kb2vxa

Completely Banned for the Greater Good
Banned
One thing to remember is 27MHz is well outside the coverage of any scanner antenna so unless somebody's in close you won't hear anything. There SHOULD be some CBers around the Shy Town area so I suggest you keep listening for a while before investing in a CB antenna. I could be wrong since all that's left are a few pockets of activity here and there and not much on 19 either since most truckers have migrated to "freeband". You might try expanding the search function upward into the bottom of 10M since they decided to start a war on 28.085 and nearby Amateur frequencies.

NWI_Scanner_Guy

W4KRR said:
Just a thought, does that scanner receive that frequency range in AM mode? If so, is it set to AM mode when you're scanning in that range? If so, like others have suggested, an antenna designed for CB would produce better results on CB frequencies than the antenna supplied with the scanner.

I wish I knew. Can't seem to find any concrete info anyplace, even on the Uniden website.

Bentley said:
THIS is a decent antenna from radio shack that I have used to monitor CB in the past. Extend all nine sections (according to the instruction manual) and you should get some decent range. Much better than a stock rubber duckie anyway. This should do the trick without breaking the bank, unless you want to start spending some serious money and put an antenna on your roof! Just my 2 cents.

I have one of these antennas. I gave it a try, and it didn't seem to help any.

Oh well, it's no big deal. I'm much more interested in listening to the local hams anyway, just thought I'd give it a shot.

Thanks for all of your replies. It's appreciated.

whitey73

kb2vxa said:
One thing to remember is 27MHz is well outside the coverage of any scanner antenna so unless somebody's in close you won't hear anything.

I think that hits it on the head. With my BCT15 and a RS through the glass antenna I can't really pick up any CB traffic unless its really close, but when I turn on my CB with 4' fiberglass antenna, I can hear I-10 traffic from North Phoenix (15+ Miles)

kb2vxa

Banned
"Just a thought, does that scanner receive that frequency range in AM mode? If so, is it set to AM mode when you're scanning in that range? If so, like others have suggested, an antenna designed for CB would produce better results on CB frequencies than the antenna supplied with the scanner.

I wish I knew. Can't seem to find any concrete info anyplace, even on the Uniden website."

Uniden makes scanners, not concrete. My Uniden tells me right on the display whether it's programmed for AM, FM, NFM, P25 or whatever. You programmed it, you SHOULD know.

"Oh well, it's no big deal."

You're right, it's not.

"I'm much more interested in listening to the local hams anyway..."

Now you're talking, why listen to a bunch of dingbats talking trash when you can learn something by watching a ham sleep?

"...just thought I'd give it a shot."

Please don't shoot, a few years ago I had to fix bullet holes in the transmission line out at the transmitter site. Not again, PLEASE!

NWI_Scanner_Guy

kb2vxa said:
"Just a thought, does that scanner receive that frequency range in AM mode? If so, is it set to AM mode when you're scanning in that range? If so, like others have suggested, an antenna designed for CB would produce better results on CB frequencies than the antenna supplied with the scanner.

I wish I knew. Can't seem to find any concrete info anyplace, even on the Uniden website."

Uniden makes scanners, not concrete. My Uniden tells me right on the display whether it's programmed for AM, FM, NFM, P25 or whatever. You programmed it, you SHOULD know.

"Oh well, it's no big deal."

You're right, it's not.

"I'm much more interested in listening to the local hams anyway..."

Now you're talking, why listen to a bunch of dingbats talking trash when you can learn something by watching a ham sleep?

"...just thought I'd give it a shot."

Please don't shoot, a few years ago I had to fix bullet holes in the transmission line out at the transmitter site. Not again, PLEASE!

Somebody's a comedian LOL :D

But to address the highlighted portion above, the scanner doesn't ask me if the frequency is AM, FM, or whatever-M, I just input the numbers and press enter. The scanner is supposed to do the rest.

Astro25

In my experience, scanners usually always suck for receiving CB. Unless it's within a few miles, fuggetaboutit.

kb2vxa

Banned
I can't be TOO serious when making that left toin at Albakoiky, eh doc?

Well that makes sense, CB is HF and that's just a bit out of frequency range for a scanner just like the receive sensitivity on my Icom IC-706Mk2G falls off drastically below 1800KHz despite the advertising that claims DC to infinity waves. It's a ham rig optimized for the ham bands... right? Just because you see it on the display doesn't mean the receiver is hearing worth a poop.

For what it's worth the published sensitivity specs are based on measurements taken at the optimum points just to make them look good. I've done some serious lab testing and my measurements across the board looked like a roller coaster track. In some places they're actually better than published but for the most part they're not even close.

Next time don't ask which scanner is best because now you know the answer is none of them, That's why I always tell you to do your homework and the only opinion that matters is your own.

bezking

btritch said:
Freeband? What's that and what's the frequency?

I believe that freebanding is illegal modification to a CB so it can operate in frequencies out side of the normal CB range.

Last edited:

fmon

Silent Key Jan. 14, 2012
bezking said:
I believe that freebanding is illegal modification to a CB so it can operate in frequencies out side of the normal CB range.
Sure nuf, or likely a modified 10 meter radio.

DaveH

SouthSideScannerGuy said:
I wish I knew. Can't seem to find any concrete info anyplace, even on the Uniden website.

Mode info should near the front of your Owner's Manual (you do have one..?).
I have a BC92XLT which is just an enhanced '72, and it covers 25-27.995 AM,
then switches to FM 28MHz and up (there's no mode control within a sub-band).

If you don't have a manual, you can download one from the Uniden site.
It's also useful if you're thinking of buying a scanner and want to check its
capabilities beforehand.

The stock antenna is certainly poor at those lower frequencies, which will
severly limit reception range, except for Good Buddies running Boots. If
you're serious, get a cheap CB antenna (can get good deals used) or jig
up a simple dipole made from coax or almost any kind of wire.

Dave

firetaz834

Another suggestion is to pick up a cheap CB radio and then use it for monitoring while having your scanner for monitor public safety agencies. I'm sure that you could get a CB for a cheap price (I even have one for sale for about $20.00 and that would be a better monitoring device then using your scanner which will give you semi-good results. Just a thought as another thing that you can try.

Status
Not open for further replies.